Author Topic: The List of DL (2018 DL Watch)  (Read 48098 times)

Offline aspenbubba

Re: The List of DL (2018 DL Watch)
« Reply #200: May 03, 2018, 06:07:52 PM »
do we really need a catcher enough to give up a top 5 prospect?  I'm shocked at how well Wieters is throwing, and Severino is doing well and had a great reputation.  If you are going to get on Wieters's case about his batting average, fine, I really am not going to convince you his offense is OK, but a .333 OBP is middle of the pack among catchers, and Severino's .355 is 10th among catchers the 33 catchers with 50 plate appearances.  Severino has shown no power, but Wieters 13th in that.  No question Realmuto and Cervelli are doing better than these guys, but our guys are not black holes in the line up. They are middling.  I'd rather upgrade the bullpen or maybe find another outfielder (which could be Robles after July) before I upgrade at catcher.
Why do you think Robles will be able to play in July?

Offline catocony

« Reply #201: May 03, 2018, 06:38:41 PM »
Catcher isn't a real problem at the moment.  Weiters is making $10.5 million, so he's staying and starting a majority of games, unless he's injured.  They need to figure out if Severino is the real deal or not, and since the Nats have never developed a catcher from the draft/foreign signing stage who might be a starter (Flores was a Rule 5 pickup and Ramos came in a trade), they need him to play as much as possible.

The starting rotation is solid 1-5, and they're waiting on injured guys to come back on defense and at the plate.  The hole is the bullpen, much as it was for a lot of last season.

If you're wondering how badly Matt Albers has fallen off, here are his current stats:

2-1, 1.20 ERA, 13 appearances, 15 innings pitched.  WHIP is 1.067, he has 12 strikeouts and has issued 3 walks.  He's given up 1 homer.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #202: May 03, 2018, 06:59:16 PM »

If you're wondering how badly Matt Albers has fallen off, here are his current stats:

2-1, 1.20 ERA, 13 appearances, 15 innings pitched.  WHIP is 1.067, he has 12 strikeouts and has issued 3 walks.  He's given up 1 homer.

Not re-signing him was stoopid...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #203: May 03, 2018, 07:04:47 PM »
Why do you think Robles will be able to play in July?
I thought his injury was 8 weeks or so.  I don't see a specific timetable, but there's this from rotowire, excerpting chelsea Janees:
He will not need surgery on his hyperextended left elbow and should be able to return at some point this season. However, Martinez's estimated return timetable for the Nationals' top prospect makes him a tough guy to continue to stash in redraft leagues. Even if he were to return in late June or early July, Robles would likely spend a good chunk of time at Triple-A rounding back into form before potentially seeing a late-season promotion.
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/nationals-victor-robles-sidelined-for-months/

i'm saying he'll need a month in the minors, so optimistically available around the trade deadline (late July / early August).  so, he may be in the picture after July, which I think is why I said that, if we are looking at an outfield upgrade, it might be him.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #204: May 03, 2018, 07:26:59 PM »

I worry that his k percentage is down, but compared to what the current bullpen looks like, Albers is a serious upgrade over anybody not named Doolittle, Madson, Kintzler, and maybe Solis.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #205: May 03, 2018, 07:34:10 PM »
I thought his injury was 8 weeks or so.  I don't see a specific timetable, but there's this from rotowire, excerpting chelsea Janees:https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/nationals-victor-robles-sidelined-for-months/

i'm saying he'll need a month in the minors, so optimistically available around the trade deadline (late July / early August).  so, he may be in the picture after July, which I think is why I said that, if we are looking at an outfield upgrade, it might be him.

I'm not for giving up Soto or Robles to land anyone at this point. I think that if there is a way to get a catching upgrade without using those two, you do it. The other hole is the bullpen, but isn't the back end assuming Madson gets some more rest and conquers some of his control issues. I think a few more 6th and 7th inning guys helps shore up the pen and then you focus on the other hole.

I get that Wieters and Severino aren't awful, but they aren't great either. If we have to deal with days of having black holes at 1B, CF, and C, move for the one thing the organization doesn't have in house. 1B you can use Adams and CF can has many in house options. C is still a organizational canyon, so I'd be fine moving for some help there.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #206: May 03, 2018, 08:17:13 PM »
Tony Two Bags smoked a double and later scored a run in his PNats rehab game. Also was hbp in the shoulder but sounds like nothing to worry about.

Offline catocony

« Reply #207: May 03, 2018, 08:24:39 PM »
I worry that his k percentage is down, but compared to what the current bullpen looks like, Albers is a serious upgrade over anybody not named Doolittle, Madson, Kintzler, and maybe Solis.

He has a 4x1 strikeout to walk ratio.  That's very good.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #208: May 03, 2018, 09:18:59 PM »

He signed a two year deal.  Rizzo is very disciplined at the (don't fall in love with your own players, don't give a big contract to a guy just because he had a career year, judge him by his whole body of work and age) kind of logic.  It's served us well a lot of times (RZ is the obvious exception to the rule, but he was a special case at the time and health failed him faster than expected), but its inevitable you let a few get away too and have to live with them.  Albers is looking like one of those so far.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #209: May 03, 2018, 09:39:25 PM »
He signed a two year deal.  Rizzo is very disciplined at the (don't fall in love with your own players, don't give a big contract to a guy just because he had a career year, judge him by his whole body of work and age) kind of logic.  It's served us well a lot of times (RZ is the obvious exception to the rule, but he was a special case at the time and health failed him faster than expected), but its inevitable you let a few get away too and have to live with them.  Albers is looking like one of those so far.

He signed a 2-year deal for less money total than Kelley is getting paid for this season alone.  This season he's being paid approximately $200k more than the Nationals are paying Miguel Montero and Joaquin Benoit.  Nobody seems bothered in writing off those contracts, even in combination.  I do get it: Rizzo gave Chad Tracy a 2-year contract once and is probably still having nightmares about what things like that do to the fringes of the roster, but passing on Albers was accompanied by such obvious waste that it seems odd.

It's not really fair to do the hindsight thing so soon, but if you follow the "1 WAR = ~$8 million" metric, Albers has already earned his contract for this entire season and is well into next, even without considering the spot he would have taken on the Nats has been occupied by a slew of below-replacement guys.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #210: May 04, 2018, 09:54:33 AM »
Anyone know if Rendon is back in Potomac tonight?  He went 2-4 with a 2B and a HBP last night.

Kerr says he'll be there again tonight.

Offline Monarch

« Reply #211: May 04, 2018, 10:12:32 AM »
If he has a good night tonight maybe he comes back tomorrow or sunday, although the weather looks iffy for the games this weekend, so maybe Monday will be the day?

Offline catocony

« Reply #212: May 04, 2018, 02:55:05 PM »
The weather will be just as iffy in Prince William.  I suspect he'll be activated tomorrow.

Offline awbb

« Reply #213: May 04, 2018, 03:40:48 PM »
... assuming Madson gets some more rest and conquers some of his control issues. I think a few more 6th and 7th inning guys helps shore up the pen and then you focus on the other hole.

He needs more juice through his pads. The voltage (or ampage) must be way down.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #214: May 04, 2018, 05:44:59 PM »
Jorge Castillo

Verified account

@jorgecastillo
Follow Follow @jorgecastillo
More
Martinez said if all goes well with Rendon tonight in Potomac, he’ll probably be activated tomorrow.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #215: May 04, 2018, 07:06:44 PM »
Jorge Castillo

Verified account

@jorgecastillo
Follow Follow @jorgecastillo
More
Martinez said if all goes well with Rendon tonight in Potomac, he’ll probably be activated tomorrow.
Which means that Sanchez goes back to the REAL sky chiefs.

Kelley is close to returning and my guess is Torres is DFA'd. Grace is getting ready for his second  BP session so I suspect when he come back Gott or Suero goes back to AAA.

Offline catocony

« Reply #216: May 04, 2018, 08:29:03 PM »
With Adams starting in left field, the Nats have 3 backup outfielders.  I suspect that Bautista will be sent down when Rendon returns. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #217: May 04, 2018, 09:52:50 PM »
Rendon 3-4 with a double tonight.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #218: May 04, 2018, 09:58:27 PM »
Rendon 3-4 with a double tonight.

Pretty good, seems to be overcoming that hairline fracture nicely.

Offline ChiliPalmer14

• 2019 was neat
« Reply #219: May 05, 2018, 04:26:08 AM »
When Rendon is back, wouldn't the optimal line-up (as things are going lately) be without Zim?  At least against righties, which is most of the time?  Difo moves to 2B, Howie to LF and Adams to 1B?  With them clawing their way back in the standings (nice job, btw, I didn't think they had it in them), I don't think you can sit a red hot Adams for Zim's .194 + reputation. 

When Eaton is back, similar questions may arise with Taylor.  Defense would suffer a good bit with Eaton and Kendrick in CF and LF, but I wonder if defense would be trumped by .293/.325/.491 vs. .200/.264/.339.  Kendrick's 23 Ks in 30 games vs. Taylor's 38 Ks in 33 games also makes me prefer Howie's bat to Taylor's glove and speed. 

I'll just be glad to see them healthy.  The less I see Moises Sierra the better.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #220: May 05, 2018, 08:07:14 AM »
When Rendon is back, wouldn't the optimal line-up (as things are going lately) be without Zim?  At least against righties, which is most of the time?  Difo moves to 2B, Howie to LF and Adams to 1B?  With them clawing their way back in the standings (nice job, btw, I didn't think they had it in them), I don't think you can sit a red hot Adams for Zim's .194 + reputation. 

When Eaton is back, similar questions may arise with Taylor.  Defense would suffer a good bit with Eaton and Kendrick in CF and LF, but I wonder if defense would be trumped by .293/.325/.491 vs. .200/.264/.339.  Kendrick's 23 Ks in 30 games vs. Taylor's 38 Ks in 33 games also makes me prefer Howie's bat to Taylor's glove and speed. 

I'll just be glad to see them healthy.  The less I see Moises Sierra the better.

I like your lineup when Rendon returns - how can you take Difo and Adams out of the lineup right now?  Or Howie?

Regarding Eaton's return, I don't think we need to worry about that for a couple months.   I hate to say it, but......

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #221: May 05, 2018, 08:34:46 AM »

Optimal lineups at least for the first few weeks should be lots of days off for everyone. Howie’s back must hurt from carrying the team for two weeks; give him two days off right from the get-go. Then stick him in LF, Stevenson in CF and give Taylor a few days off to get that groin right. Etc. Take advantage of having  a fresh body to stick in there and get the rest of these guys some rest.

Regarding Eaton's return, I don't think we need to worry about that for a couple months.   I hate to say it, but......

Same here, I think it is gonna be a while. Hopefully Goodwin is back soon.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #222: May 05, 2018, 01:19:24 PM »
Days off are probably going to be needed, and it'll be a test of Martinez to manage getting guys PAs and rest.   I'm loving Difo, but I think he is the one who gets shorted time.  You'll see Kendrick in the OF v. most lefties, Adams getting some time at 1st v righties, and Difo spelling Rendon (whose foot I think will hurt even when he's back), occasionally for Trea at SS, and filling in at 2d v. lefties and when Kendrick or RZ needs time off.

Offline catocony

« Reply #223: May 05, 2018, 02:38:09 PM »
Zimmerman is banged up and out today.  This is probably from the faceplant he did trying to snare the double down the line last night.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #224: May 05, 2018, 07:01:05 PM »
I'd give Suero a little more time to see what the major league pitching coaches can do with him. He has a lot of raw potential and the right attitude. He doesn't have all the skills yet, but considering he's pitched one inning in his MLB career, it might be premature to throw him on the trash heap just yet.

Sueno is Rafeal Martin 2.0
Hes had control issues his whole time in the minors and posts low K numbers