Author Topic: 2018 Spring Training Discussion  (Read 14622 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Re: 2018 Spring Training Discussion
« Reply #300: March 28, 2018, 09:27:44 PM »
Not trying to be argumentative but Difo languished in the minors for years and did great last year. I’m not sure it is sustainable. MAT had a great year and about half of those who posted on the prediction thread believes he will under perform. I’ll even postulate that Dusty had a positive affect on him and Difo. Perhaps we should re -visit this thread Memorial Day

I suspect Difo will OPS about .650 and be mediocre in the field.  That's better than I'd expect of Reynolds.  Memorial Day is fine: I don't think much is likely to change my view that Difo is the lesser of two evils.  Again, in the era of the 45-man bullpen, you end up with sad sacks like these as primary bench options and pitchers like Matt Grace on major league rosters.   Something seems broken with that, but I'll just go back to telling young whippersnappers to get off my lawn.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #301: March 28, 2018, 10:28:49 PM »
I suspect Difo will OPS about .650 and be mediocre in the field.  That's better than I'd expect of Reynolds.  Memorial Day is fine: I don't think much is likely to change my view that Difo is the lesser of two evils.  Again, in the era of the 45-man bullpen, you end up with sad sacks like these as primary bench options and pitchers like Matt Grace on major league rosters.   Something seems broken with that, but I'll just go back to telling young whippersnappers to get off my lawn.

Let's face it -- Difo and Goodwin have been major disappointments in spring training.  But they both showed promise in the 2017 regular season.  Couple that with the fact that their ceiling is higher than their spring training competitors, and the decision is not difficult.   

"...pitchers like Matt Grace on major league rosters. "  OK, now we have three persons not happy with the middle-inning pitching situation.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #302: March 28, 2018, 10:47:02 PM »
Let's face it -- Difo and Goodwin have been major disappointments in spring training.  But they both showed promise in the 2017 regular season.  Couple that with the fact that their ceiling is higher than their spring training competitors, and the decision is not difficult.   

"...pitchers like Matt Grace on major league rosters. "  OK, now we have three persons not happy with the middle-inning pitching situation.

Goodwin and Difo’s performance in real major league games last year has bought the (deservedly so) a good amount of rope. Talk to me in a month if they are still performing badly. But to switch them out based on a poor spring seems hasty to me. There is zero chance either would survive waivers.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #303: March 28, 2018, 11:00:19 PM »
Goodwin and Difo’s performance in real major league games last year has bought the (deservedly so) a good amount of rope. Talk to me in a month if they are still performing badly. But to switch them out based on a poor spring seems hasty to me. There is zero chance either would survive waivers.

So they are both out of options?  I thought only Goodwin was of the two.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #304: March 28, 2018, 11:09:49 PM »
So they are both out of options?  I thought only Goodwin was of the two.

You’re right. Goodwin is the only one out of options.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/03/mlb-players-out-of-options-2018.html

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #305: March 29, 2018, 12:18:47 AM »
Difo played in the Dominican Winter League and if memory serves me, he started out slow then really raked. His batting stance now is ridiculously wide and I’m not sure if that’s something he picked up in winter ball, something new he’s trying or just a random weirdness but I don’t think it’s helping him. Regardless, he needs daily play or he can’t hit, and he’s always been like that, so I won’t be surprised to see him go back to AAA for a little while to get back into his groove. He was a huge contributor to our offense last season and Rizzo absolutely loves the guy, so any trip to AAA won’t be permanent, and I doubt he would be used in a trade unless the return is amazing. Personally I really like him. He has a lot of rough spots that are more from lack of experience than anything else, but he brings an enthusiasm that the team really needs.