Author Topic: 2018 Spring Training Discussion  (Read 14604 times)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: 2018 Spring Training Discussion
« Reply #275: March 28, 2018, 01:58:43 PM »
Your man Howie is the starting second baseman.

Then he's grossly underpaid...  ;)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #276: March 28, 2018, 02:17:40 PM »
Then he's grossly underpaid...  ;)

I'd love to be paid what he's paid.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #277: March 28, 2018, 03:11:01 PM »
So neither Reynolds or Sanchez. Interesting!
I had them both making the trip North. Did not foresee a 8 man BP and Difo was not hitting nearly as well as those two.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #278: March 28, 2018, 04:01:43 PM »
I had them both making the trip North. Did not foresee a 8 man BP and Difo was not hitting nearly as well as those two.

Difo's out of options, and there is zero chance he'd make it through waivers.  He could have hit .000 this spring and made the team.  Edit - he may not be out of options.  He was only in the minors 11 days last year.  But the rest probably still stands: he's a switch hitter and has shown he can play the outfield in a pitch, so he has a huge versatility advantage over those two.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #279: March 28, 2018, 04:34:08 PM »
Difo's out of options, and there is zero chance he'd make it through waivers.  He could have hit .000 this spring and made the team.  Edit - he may not be out of options.  He was only in the minors 11 days last year.  But the rest probably still stands: he's a switch hitter and has shown he can play the outfield in a pitch, so he has a huge versatility advantage over those two.
Reynolds has played all positions except for the battery at the MLB level

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #280: March 28, 2018, 04:36:11 PM »
Yeah Difo had to make it even if we end up trading him...he has shown he has some value as an every day player.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #281: March 28, 2018, 04:55:57 PM »

After what we saw from Difo last year at the major league level for basically an entire season, do you honestly think that we should carry Reynolds over him out of camp?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #282: March 28, 2018, 05:18:22 PM »

He'd also 2 years older than Difo, can't hit a bull in the ass with a banjo, and he does so right-handed.  I'm not a great fan of Difo, but that's a spectacularly easy call.  Reynolds might as well spell his name Maaatt.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #283: March 28, 2018, 05:19:41 PM »
After what we saw from Difo last year at the major league level for basically an entire season, do you honestly think that we should carry Reynolds over him out of camp?

I did after seeing Reynolds in ST.  Difo swung a good bat last year, but he is pure garbage in the field.  He should have been charged with two errors in just one game I was at when he was playing at SS.  Reynolds looked very polished...

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #284: March 28, 2018, 05:21:04 PM »
I did after seeing Reynolds in ST.  Difo swung a good bat last year, but he is pure garbage in the field.  He should have been charged with two errors in just one game I was at when he was playing at SS.  Reynolds looked very polished...

Yeah, if the ball's hit right at him.  Dude has the range I have, and I'm 33 with a desk job.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #285: March 28, 2018, 05:27:07 PM »
Yeah, if the ball's hit right at him.  Dude has the range I have, and I'm 33 with a desk job.

Doesn't do you any good to have range if you have stone hands.  Difo is a stiff...

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #286: March 28, 2018, 06:46:07 PM »
Doesn't do you any good to have range if you have stone hands.  Difo is a stiff...

So Reynolds has no range and can't hit, and he deserves a bench spot.  Got it.  Difo is a stiff, but he's still ahead of Reynolds.  Reynolds got DFAed by the Mets, a team that resigned Jose Reyes - whose last productive season was 2014 - rather than even giving Reynolds a shot in spring training!

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #287: March 28, 2018, 06:51:43 PM »
So Reynolds has no range and can't hit, and he deserves a bench spot.  Got it.  Difo is a stiff, but he's still ahead of Reynolds.  Reynolds got DFAed by the Mets, a team that resigned Jose Reyes - whose last productive season was 2014 - rather than even giving Reynolds a shot in spring training!

He outhit Difo in ST by a metric tonne.

You want us to judge players by what the Mets do? 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #288: March 28, 2018, 06:54:54 PM »
Beerman   !

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #289: March 28, 2018, 06:56:03 PM »
Beerman   !

Nah...it's great that we are back to debating player worth...means the season is right around the corner...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #290: March 28, 2018, 07:02:02 PM »
Nah...it's great that we are back to debating player worth...means the season is right around the corner...

Ah, so that's what debating looks like.    :)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #291: March 28, 2018, 07:04:29 PM »
Ah, so that's what debating looks like.    :)

...or something like that...  :D

Offline hotshot

« Reply #292: March 28, 2018, 08:03:32 PM »

I'm with you on Reynolds. He played his way onto the team with that ST performance. Now, he'll have to wait to see if someone plays their way off the current roster (while hopefully raking at AAA himself).

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #293: March 28, 2018, 08:08:46 PM »

I'd rather judge them by what the Mets do than spring training stats, yeah. 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #294: March 28, 2018, 08:22:34 PM »
I'd rather judge them by what the Mets do than spring training stats, yeah.

Does the name Daniel Murphy ring a bell for you?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #295: March 28, 2018, 08:32:55 PM »
Are people actually holding up the Mets as an example of competence? :lmao:

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #296: March 28, 2018, 08:40:33 PM »
Does the name Daniel Murphy ring a bell for you?

Refusing to pay a free agent is a different ballgame than DFAing a dude on the league minimum.  I'm not especially enamored of the Mets as a model of organizational competence, but I can't blame them for cutting a dude who's struck out in more than a third of his MLB at bats, is a mediocre fielder at an impressively large number of positions, and doesn't seem to have any skill at all in which he looks like a major league player.   

Look, I'll lay it out there: he reminds me of Brian Bixler in almost all respects, and thinking of Brian Bixler makes the red mist descend.  It's like putting a red cloth in front of a bull, or a plate of fried chicken in front of Josh Beckett - the result is ugly, but it's utterly inevitable.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #297: March 28, 2018, 09:07:31 PM »
Refusing to pay a free agent is a different ballgame than DFAing a dude on the league minimum.  I'm not especially enamored of the Mets as a model of organizational competence, but I can't blame them for cutting a dude who's struck out in more than a third of his MLB at bats, is a mediocre fielder at an impressively large number of positions, and doesn't seem to have any skill at all in which he looks like a major league player.   

Look, I'll lay it out there: he reminds me of Brian Bixler in almost all respects, and thinking of Brian Bixler makes the red mist descend.  It's like putting a red cloth in front of a bull, or a plate of fried chicken in front of Josh Beckett - the result is ugly, but it's utterly inevitable.
Not trying to be argumentative but Difo languished in the minors for years and did great last year. I’m not sure it is sustainable. MAT had a great year and about half of those who posted on the prediction thread believes he will under perform. I’ll even postulate that Dusty had a positive affect on him and Difo. Perhaps we should re -visit this thread Memorial Day

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #298: March 28, 2018, 09:07:48 PM »
I'm not especially enamored of the Mets as a model of organizational competence, but I can't blame them for cutting a dude who's struck out in more than a third of his MLB at bats, is a mediocre fielder at an impressively large number of positions, and doesn't seem to have any skill at all in which he looks like a major league player.   

I can certainly blame the Nats for not recognizing that Reynolds earned a job in ST over inferior competition...not sure what else the guy had to do...

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #299: March 28, 2018, 09:08:43 PM »
Not trying to be argumentative...Perhaps we should re -visit this thread Memorial Day

Spoiled sport...  :hysterical: