Author Topic: Olympics - Pyeongchang, not Pyongyang  (Read 8353 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Olympics - Pyeongchang, not Pyongyang
« Reply #25: February 10, 2018, 10:24:09 AM »
There's an American guy playing on the Korean men's hockey team. Not sure if his last name is Kim?

It's this dude.

They have several Canadians on the team as well.

There was also a kid on the team from Ireland whose grandparents were born in Ireland. :lol:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #26: February 11, 2018, 03:15:14 PM »
Something I did not know but had wondered about, curling has no officials. I've seen the players trying to determine which stone was closer to the button and wondered why they did that and not relied on the official of the match to make the decision. In the tiebreaker game between China and Norway the woman from China removed a stone that was clearly still in play and when the player from Norway brought it up they had a discussion and asked people in the audience if they had seen whether the stone was still in play. :lmao: They got it right but still. :shock:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #27: February 11, 2018, 03:23:29 PM »
Something I did not know but had wondered about, curling has no officials. I've seen the players trying to determine which stone was closer to the button and wondered why they did that and not relied on the official of the match to make the decision. In the tiebreaker game between China and Norway the woman from China removed a stone that was clearly still in play and when the player from Norway brought it up they had a discussion and asked people in the audience if they had seen whether the stone was still in play. :lmao: They got it right but still. :shock:
Norwegian and Chinese asking a Korean audience in English about a game that was invented in what country?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #28: February 11, 2018, 03:28:28 PM »
Scotland.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29: February 11, 2018, 07:33:13 PM »
Scotland.
they sort of speak English there, but they still need subtitles.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #30: February 11, 2018, 07:55:15 PM »

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #31: February 11, 2018, 10:44:32 PM »
I don’t care how many green, yellow or red boxes they put on the screen I still think the scoring in skating is completely rigged!

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #32: February 11, 2018, 10:57:22 PM »
I don’t care how many green, yellow or red boxes they put on the screen I still think the scoring in skating is completely rigged!
It's the Olympics. It's faker than pro wrestling.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #33: February 11, 2018, 11:06:49 PM »

What do the boxes mean?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #34: February 11, 2018, 11:09:42 PM »
What do the boxes mean?

It’s for the elements, green means they completed it, yellow it’s under review and red is nope you screwed that one up! Two skaters busted their ass falling and still got higher scores than a guy who didn’t fall at all, nonsense!

Offline spidernat

« Reply #35: February 11, 2018, 11:31:00 PM »
It’s for the elements, green means they completed it, yellow it’s under review and red is nope you screwed that one up! Two skaters busted their ass falling and still got higher scores than a guy who didn’t fall at all, nonsense!

:lmao: It's not as cut and dry as that.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #36: February 11, 2018, 11:33:36 PM »

I don't understand a freaking thing they say when they speak English.

but it's  fun to watch the mixed doubles curling and hear the chicks yelling "go hard! go hard! go hard!" and then, "ya!, ya!, ya!"

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37: February 12, 2018, 08:28:44 AM »

but it's  fun to watch the mixed doubles curling and hear the chicks yelling "go hard! go hard! go hard!" and then, "ya!, ya!, ya!"
no wiser things have been spoken about curling.

So, who on this board is going to try it?  I think MDS would be great at it. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #38: February 12, 2018, 08:45:18 AM »
 :hysterical:

There is nobody on this board that could have said this so well.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #39: February 12, 2018, 08:53:49 AM »
Two skaters busted their ass falling and still got higher scores than a guy who didn’t fall at all, nonsense!

This seems crazy to me too. The deduction needs to be high enough for falling that this doesn't happen. Can you imagine a gymnast winning after falling all over the place, because she was trying harder elements than everyone else? Ridiculous.

As a buddy of mine put it, doesn't matter how hard a dunk you're trying in the NBA slam dunk contest, if you miss the dunk your ass is OUT.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #40: February 12, 2018, 09:06:52 AM »
Got that right...more likely to represent Denmark...since Bjergsen is a Danish name...  :P

All the same kingdom. :)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #41: February 12, 2018, 09:49:36 AM »
This seems crazy to me too. The deduction needs to be high enough for falling that this doesn't happen. Can you imagine a gymnast winning after falling all over the place, because she was trying harder elements than everyone else? Ridiculous.

I don't see the issue here. Trying an incredibly complex maneuver and falling should count for more than playing it safe and not falling.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #42: February 12, 2018, 10:22:58 AM »
I don't see the issue here. Trying an incredibly complex maneuver and falling should count for more than playing it safe and not falling.

Yeah and it's not like the contestants don't know the rules. An extra revolution when you're airborne is huge. Failing to land a quadruple jump (falling is only a 1 point deduction) is valued higher than landing a perfect triple. Plus there are other things that lay eyes can't detect in the way they skate (speed, power, flow and all sorts of other crap). The subjective part enters the rink when it comes to the artistic score.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #43: February 12, 2018, 10:24:36 AM »

So, who on this board is going to try it?  I think MDS would be great at it. 

It should do wonders for his gout.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #44: February 12, 2018, 01:41:42 PM »
No way, if you're going to do something complex you've got to land it or what the hell is even the point?  There's no E for effort added to the score for heaven's sake, if you can't execute the full jump you should not get points just for trying that's ridiculous.   

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #45: February 12, 2018, 01:44:45 PM »
No way, if you're going to do something complex you've got to land it or what the hell is even the point?  There's no E for effort added to the score for heaven's sake, if you can't execute the full jump you should not get points just for trying that's ridiculous.   

Welcome to figure skating. I was surprised to learn ski jumping has an artistic score instead of just being who can jump the longest

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #46: February 12, 2018, 01:59:16 PM »

I've started to feel like some commentator I heard  ....  if you can't time or measure it, it ain't an Olympic sport.      :)   His theory was the Olympics are based on ancient Greek military training which was mostly time, distance and strength.     Spartans didn't do no stinkin' figure skatin'.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #47: February 12, 2018, 01:59:49 PM »
Welcome to figure skating.

Lol. The scoring changes that started rewarding quads over clean skating happened after the 2010 Olympics. Let's not pretend like this is the entire history of the sport. This is a recent scoring change that may easily be revisited after these Olympics if the finals are controversial.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #48: February 12, 2018, 02:01:59 PM »
Lol. The scoring changes that started rewarding quads over clean skating happened after the 2010 Olympics. Let's not pretend like this is the entire history of the sport. This is a recent scoring change that may easily be revisited after these Olympics if the finals are controversial.

the sport has always had questionable judging - remember when they had to give out two sets of golds in salt lake?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #49: February 12, 2018, 02:04:58 PM »
the sport has always had questionable judging - remember when they had to give out two sets of golds in salt lake?

yes I for sure remember that, the Canadian couple was going to get screwed when they found out the Russian judge was cheating on her scoring, quel scandale!