Author Topic: cycling in 2018 & beyond  (Read 13475 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: cycling in 2018 & beyond
« Reply #150: July 01, 2021, 08:57:18 PM »
Thanks...could be worse, but ya gotta wonder about folks that dream up stuff like that...

the green jersey usually makes sense. It is based on high finishes on individual stages and marked points on the course. It usually goes to a sprinter, although the best guy in recent years was a guy who wasn't the fastest sprinter but could get over smaller hills in breakaways that other sprinters couldn't get over easily. The guy actually won the world championship in Richmond a few years ago.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #151: July 01, 2021, 09:47:46 PM »
I yelled during a work call when Cav won his second sprint stage today.  What a comeback  :clap:

I'd post the UK flag emoji but I don't think that Manxers are actually in fact subjects of the United Kingdom.  Maybe they fly the Jack anyways. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #152: July 01, 2021, 09:59:56 PM »
I yelled during a work call when Cav won his second sprint stage today.  What a comeback  :clap:

I'd post the UK flag emoji but I don't think that Manxers are actually in fact subjects of the United Kingdom.  Maybe they fly the Jack anyways. 
morkov should have been penalized on the intermediate sprint, and I can see why Phillipson was mad about his sprint

• babble on
« Reply #153: July 01, 2021, 10:14:40 PM »
How many times has Sagan been docked in sprints?  It's a rough contact sport, a 40 mph scrum. 
morkov should have been penalized on the intermediate sprint, and I can see why Phillipson was mad about his sprint

Offline blue911

« Reply #154: July 02, 2021, 06:56:20 AM »
Speaking of cycling, I almost changed the thread title to say "(not about Trea)"

Well it would be a better television sport if the commentators only talked about how each days events impacted Trea Turner. With points being awarded to the cyclist(s) that was most positive.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #155: July 02, 2021, 08:07:50 AM »

You're correct, it's not part of the UK even though the Queen is the head of state under the title "Lord of Mann."

Offline blue911

« Reply #156: July 02, 2021, 10:42:57 AM »
You're correct, it's not part of the UK even though the Queen is the head of state under the title "Lord of Mann."

Joey Dunlop is the King of the Isle of Mann

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157: July 02, 2021, 01:50:23 PM »
I thought that was Manfred.  The other Manfred.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #158: July 04, 2021, 06:22:23 PM »
Demare and Coquard did not make the time cut, and Merlier abandoned.  Cav makes the time cut by a  minute adn a half, with Morkov and DeClercq.  Greipel makes it too.  With Ewan out already, Cav might be the fastest guy left. MVP withdrew, so Phillipsen's leadouts are all gone.  There's Cobrelli, Bouhani, Greipel I guess, Matthews and Sagan.  Cav may win his 34th stage this week even if he can't get through the Pyrenees.

• babble on
« Reply #159: July 05, 2021, 03:09:56 PM »
Deceuninck's directeur sportif is probably down in Marseilles trying to hire some Corsicans to blow up the road on Mont Ventoux
Demare and Coquard did not make the time cut, and Merlier abandoned.  Cav makes the time cut by a  minute adn a half, with Morkov and DeClercq.  Greipel makes it too.  With Ewan out already, Cav might be the fastest guy left. MVP withdrew, so Phillipsen's leadouts are all gone.  There's Cobrelli, Bouhani, Greipel I guess, Matthews and Sagan.  Cav may win his 34th stage this week even if he can't get through the Pyrenees.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160: July 15, 2021, 03:48:21 PM »
I'm starting to get super-psyched about the Vuelta this year, with a head-to-head-to-head of Pogacar, Roglic, and Bernal.  As long as Bernal's back is OK, and Roglic doesn't fall.  I'd really like to see the full Jumbo Visma crew go at at it.  Roglic's biggest enemy seems to be the tarmac.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161: July 18, 2021, 08:58:22 PM »
So, Wout Van Aerr. The Shohei Ohtani of cycling?

• babble on
« Reply #162: July 18, 2021, 11:27:44 PM »
Froome wins the Vuelta?  Seems like that kind of year. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #163: July 19, 2021, 09:16:43 AM »
Froome wins the Vuelta?  Seems like that kind of year. 
he still doesn't seem to have "it" this year, but maybe a stage in a breakaway?

I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of teams Jumbo and Ineos bring. 

• babble on
« Reply #164: July 19, 2021, 02:52:54 PM »
Jumbo: Roglic or Van Aert?  Or both? 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #165: July 19, 2021, 04:36:23 PM »
Jumbo: Roglic or Van Aert?  Or both? 

Kuss and Roglic were supposed to be co leaders, but if Doumoulin wants to go and Vingegaard says he's still good, you start to have a dilemma for the last 4 spots. Van Aert if he wants it, Gesink as the early domestique, probably no sprinter, maybe Martin, one of Bennett or Kruiswijk?

• babble on
« Reply #166: July 19, 2021, 08:55:47 PM »
The Vuelta route has maybe one level km in the whole burrito  :shock: 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #167: July 31, 2021, 04:10:52 PM »
not sure if you are following the Clasica San Sebastien but ...

Neilsen Powless got his first win at the world tour level. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #168: September 04, 2021, 02:54:08 PM »
Jumbo Visma is moving up the list on my favorite sports teams.  Very close to or ahead of the Bruins.

I was on Roglic's rise before the 2018 TdF after he had some good results in one week tours.  Also like Kruiswijk when should have won the Giro but for an awful fall into a snowbank on a decent.  Was a Dumoulin fan when he was with Giant, too, so when he came over. 

Really hoping there's a TTT at the worlds next year or some stage race when they can run out their A team - roglic, Dumoulin, Dennis, Van Aert, and Martin, with almost anyone rounding that out.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #169: September 05, 2021, 07:34:52 PM »
Roglic wins third straight Vuelta by 4 minutes, 42 seconds - largest winning margin since Alex Zuelle in 1997.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #170: September 05, 2021, 08:54:47 PM »
Roglic wins third straight Vuelta by 4 minutes, 42 seconds - largest winning margin since Alex Zuelle in 1997.
you had a feeling that he saw Pogocar's margin in the Tdf and said "I will show you a margin over a real field."  This year's Vuelta had a more competitive field than the tour once Roglic crashed out. Yates and Bernal, Mas and Lopez, Haig and Bahrain.

I think Roglic has less fear of crashing than most fescenders because he was a ski jumper. He's clearly not as good of a bike handler as an Alaphilippe or Nibali, but he still attacks. 

Today they asked him about passing Mas, and his reply was "I am a sprinter," which tells a lot about his attacks on climbing finishes.

• babble on
« Reply #171: September 06, 2021, 04:07:34 PM »
Paris-Roubaix in October will be interesting.  Wonder whether wet leaves on the cobbles will be an issue?

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #172: September 06, 2021, 05:28:11 PM »
The pave is the pave, whatever the weather...Probably be a case of 'swings-and-roundabouts' - wet conditions may cause grip issues, but greatly reduce the dust and loose stuff that can be just as problematical, in dry weather.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #173: September 13, 2021, 05:40:10 AM »
Van Aert wins the Tour Of Britain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/58533679

The TOB is a more substantial race than it used to be, following the growth of interest in pro-cycling since Bratto - sorry - Wiggo in 2012. It's now AAA, to draw a baseball analogy, so the pro-teams send one-or two top names to bolster the 'b' squads.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #174: September 13, 2021, 08:42:20 AM »
Van Aert wins the Tour Of Britain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/58533679

The TOB is a more substantial race than it used to be, following the growth of interest in pro-cycling since Bratto - sorry - Wiggo in 2012. It's now AAA, to draw a baseball analogy, so the pro-teams send one-or two top names to bolster the 'b' squads.
Yes.  Lumpy stages, but no big or very hard climbs.  Also, probably a nice short week of training before the Worlds Championships in Belgium.  Alaphilippe, the world champ, Van Aert (the likely next world champ), Cavendish (top sprinter from the Tour), Ineos's up and coming sprinter (Hayter), plus some good second tier teams like Rally.  I need a Rally jersey.  Nice bright orange so easy to see.  That, or Euskatel.