Author Topic: cycling in 2018 & beyond  (Read 13413 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: cycling in 2018 & beyond
« Reply #125: October 27, 2020, 08:37:52 PM »
So I want Froome's Pinarello Dogma from the Vuelta as a retirement gift if I retire after April.  Should I fo a go fund me?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #126: October 28, 2020, 05:01:56 PM »
That might require something more along the lines of an IMF structural adjustment payment
So I want Froome's Pinarello Dogma from the Vuelta as a retirement gift if I retire after April.  Should I fo a go fund me?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #127: October 28, 2020, 08:00:30 PM »
You deserve it.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #128: November 30, 2020, 06:10:56 PM »
Does anyone have an E-Bike?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129: November 30, 2020, 07:43:01 PM »
I have a friend who has two, one for him and one for his wife.  He's a hard core cyclist, but likes it because his wife keeps up better and he feels a bit more free to explore new roads without the risk of getting to a road block or some other obstacle that forces him to take on big climbs when he's tired.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #130: November 30, 2020, 08:47:16 PM »
I have a friend who has two, one for him and one for his wife.  He's a hard core cyclist, but likes it because his wife keeps up better and he feels a bit more free to explore new roads without the risk of getting to a road block or some other obstacle that forces him to take on big climbs when he's tired.

I’m considering one for when I eventually get back to work. Thinking of using it for commute whenever we get back to it. Can avoid the metro and not be sweaty.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131: May 11, 2021, 02:01:55 PM »
Local boy makes good.  Joe Dombrowski is a professional cyclist from NoVa.  At one point, he was supposed to be the next American star.  His original team, Sky/Ineos, is easily the best financed team and won the Tour de France something like 7 times in the past 10 years or so with 4 different riders.  Dombrowski was good enough that the Tour winners would support him in some of the  post tour US races.  At any rate, he did not develop due to some health conditions, rode for various other teams, but now is with another wealthy team, United Arab Emirates, which also won the Tour last year. 

At any rate, probably the second biggest multi-day (stage) race is the Giro d'Italia, and Dombrowski won the 4th stage today, finishing on top of a mountain pass.   Since stage races are decided on total time, he's only in second overall, and not likely a contender to win at the end of the Giro, but still this may be his biggest stage win at the top level of cycling. 

https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/giro-d-italia-2021/stage-4/results/

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #132: May 11, 2021, 02:16:16 PM »

A work colleague who lives in Weehawken has one. If you're familiar with that area, you know how much of it is atop cliffs on the west side of the Hudson. He loves the e-bike for making it easier to get up the hill there, and he says the battery boost is also helpful when riding in Manhattan traffic. His bike is a single-speed, the "Rad Mission" model from Rad Power Bikes. He said, quote, "It's kind of a tank—without accessories, I think it comes out to about fifty pounds? It's possible to lug it up and down stairs, but doing so is affirmatively a pain. I've been very happy with it." He said the battery compensates for the fixed gearing and that usually he can throttle up a hill if he wants, except for one near his house where he needs both the full pedal assist plus leg action.

I find the concept interesting, but I am more likely to go over to my mom's house and retrieve my late father's bike and take it to a shop to get it fixed up. He hadn't ridden it for several years before he died as he was no longer able to do so, which means the tires at a minimum are surely shot. Given that it would be essentially free, aside from the cost of repairs, it's hard to pass that up. What I would really like is a recumbent trike, but I'd have trouble storing it in our garage. I can hang a standard bike from the ceiling easily enough, but a trike is trickier.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #133: May 12, 2021, 05:41:39 PM »
Racing is fickle.

Just 24 hours after his spectacular mountaintop win in the Giro d’Italia, Joe Dombrowski (UAE Team Emirates) suffered a bad crash four kilometres from the finish line of stage 5 and headed for hospital in an ambulance minutes after completing the stage.

Likely concussion.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dombrowski-heads-to-hospital-after-late-hard-crash-in-giro-ditalia/

• babble on
« Reply #134: May 12, 2021, 08:43:40 PM »
Are you getting the Giro on TV this year?  I bought a year on FloBikes for this purpose last year and now it seems that someone else picked it up.  At least Flo has a lot of the Spring Classics available for on-demand viewing (though not Paris-Roubaix).

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #135: May 13, 2021, 09:55:55 AM »
Are you getting the Giro on TV this year?  I bought a year on FloBikes for this purpose last year and now it seems that someone else picked it up.  At least Flo has a lot of the Spring Classics available for on-demand viewing (though not Paris-Roubaix).
I don't have any packages, even NBC Gold.  I just go off of post race reports, maybe a live feed of reports like Cycling News.  For the NBC stuff, I' just tape everything they put up for now.  It seems they get the ASO races but not RCS or the Belgian classics. Will need to change next year.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #137: June 26, 2021, 04:41:07 PM »

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138: June 26, 2021, 06:49:35 PM »

I hope gtandma and grandpa appreciate how much they are loved

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #139: June 26, 2021, 07:17:17 PM »
That looks like how ants react when you accidentally expose their nest.

• babble on
« Reply #140: June 28, 2021, 11:52:47 AM »
so many crashes :shock:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141: June 28, 2021, 12:14:47 PM »
so many crashes :shock:
scrue Cobrelli.

I had a picking contest before the Tour.  My first pick was Roglic (my fav since 2018, so not a front runner on this).  The other guy took Pogocar and Alaphilippe.  With my next 2 picks I took Thomas and Uran.  He took Carapaz and Sagan.  I took Porte.  :lmao:

Haig would have been a cool pick, but I probably would have taken Lopez with the next pick.  Liking Wilco.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #142: June 28, 2021, 01:19:04 PM »
just saw that the woman who caused the crash has fled the country and has gone missing.

• babble on
« Reply #143: June 28, 2021, 01:31:26 PM »
She might want to remain abroad for a few decades. 
just saw that the woman who caused the crash has fled the country and has gone missing.

• babble on
« Reply #144: June 29, 2021, 11:07:59 AM »
Cavendish is back, wins stage 4  :clap:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145: June 29, 2021, 11:38:25 AM »
Cavendish is back, wins stage 4  :clap:
:clap: :clap:

Got to give a :clap: to the breakaway today, too.  Final 20 riders tomorrow will be interesting.  This was supposed to be Roglic and Thomas fighting for yellow, not survival. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #146: July 01, 2021, 05:50:30 PM »

What does the "Wonder Bread Wrapper" jersey represent? 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #147: July 01, 2021, 08:17:06 PM »
What does the "Wonder Bread Wrapper" jersey represent? 
it is the mountains jersey. The hills a mountain passes on the course are rated for difficulty, and  there are pounts available for how high you place at the top of these climbs. Easy climbs, only one point for the first over the top. Ridiculously tough climbs at the end of a day's race, maybe 20 points for first, and some points for the top 5 or 10. Wondebread wrapper guy today has managedto be in the early breakaways the first 3 days and topped a lot of small climbs.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148: July 01, 2021, 08:18:16 PM »
Speaking of cycling, I almost changed the thread title to say "(not about Trea)"

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #149: July 01, 2021, 08:30:18 PM »
it is the mountains jersey. The hills a mountain passes on the course are rated for difficulty, and  there are pounts available for how high you place at the top of these climbs. Easy climbs, only one point for the first over the top. Ridiculously tough climbs at the end of a day's race, maybe 20 points for first, and some points for the top 5 or 10. Wondebread wrapper guy today has managedto be in the early breakaways the first 3 days and topped a lot of small climbs.

Thanks...could be worse, but ya gotta wonder about folks that dream up stuff like that...