Author Topic: cycling in 2018 & beyond  (Read 13505 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: cycling in 2018 & beyond
« Reply #300: June 27, 2022, 10:06:34 PM »
Cav will probably get to enjoy this distinction for a while - unless Wout runs the table for a while.   
TBH, Cavendish ought to be happy that any time folks mention the stage win record, his name gets mentioned with Merckx.  I/M/O, that may be cooler than holding it outright.  He holds it outright, it's "well, that's the sprinters' record." Having your name mentioned as equal to the greatest ever is pretty awesome. 

that quickstep lineup is pretty awesome even without Alaphilippe and Cav.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #301: June 28, 2022, 04:07:51 AM »

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #302: June 28, 2022, 10:12:42 AM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #303: June 28, 2022, 11:00:33 AM »
Stage wins, methinks... ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/61952346
I think the most likely way for somebody other than Pogocar or Roglic to win is for a quality rider to sneak into a breakaway, win with a 3-4 minute margin, and then have a team that's good enough to protect it.  That could be any one of Thomas, A Yates, or Martinez on Ineos.  Not sure of the other rosters yet to pick a longshot.  Jack Haig?  Maybe a Bora guy?

• babble on
« Reply #304: June 28, 2022, 11:56:17 AM »
Denmark, yum, crosswinds

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #305: June 28, 2022, 05:49:32 PM »
I think the most likely way for somebody other than Pogocar or Roglic to win is for a quality rider to sneak into a breakaway, win with a 3-4 minute margin, and then have a team that's good enough to protect it.  That could be any one of Thomas, A Yates, or Martinez on Ineos.  Not sure of the other rosters yet to pick a longshot.  Jack Haig?  Maybe a Bora guy?

Unfortunate about Alaphillippe - he would have been just the sort... Across Europe, Pogacar is regarded as the hottest favorite for years - I must admit, it's difficult to see past him.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #306: June 28, 2022, 09:00:40 PM »
Sure. I don't think there has been as solid a favorite along with as clear a #2, let alone from the same country. I also don't see Vingegaard getting a chance to escape.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #307: July 01, 2022, 05:53:46 PM »
You could guess that after weeks of a heatwave, across Europe, it would be raining in Copenhagen for the opening day of the Tour... :roll: Pogacar already 8 seconds up on his potential GC rivals - and was clearly riding well within himself because of the conditions.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm disappointed to see the return of the Prologue (in all but name) - starting with a proper stage (like the last few years) is much better, in my book... ;)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #308: July 01, 2022, 06:07:53 PM »
I don't think the bunch sprint 1st stages are better. It doesn't spread the field and leads to more crashes. Finishing up a wall like Mende or Mur de bretagne gives time gaps, but guys legs aren't tuned up. Prologue gives a time trialist a yellow and the time gaps shouldn't harm more than the pure climbers. Heck, Bardet is within 30 seconds of Pogocar.

• babble on
« Reply #309: July 01, 2022, 08:01:35 PM »
The TdF is better with a TTT, change my mind.   

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #310: July 01, 2022, 09:18:49 PM »
The TdF is better with a TTT, change my mind.   
I would love to see Jumbo Visma's best TTT line up for one race. Add Dumoulin and Dennis to Roglic, VanAert, and Vingegaard.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #311: July 06, 2022, 06:29:52 PM »
First really eventful day, in the Tour. Thank goodness for van Aert, or the race might have been as good as over already... ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/62068724

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #312: July 06, 2022, 06:37:42 PM »
I think it sets up Roglic or Kruiswijk to attack and force Pogocar to drag Vingegaard up. Real potential to work over UAE through sequential attacks provided Roglic can continue

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #313: July 06, 2022, 07:21:30 PM »
Think Roglic should be OK to continue, but his time-gap now makes it a big ask for him to contend, especially as Pogacar looks in such good form. Thomas sounded unexpectedly downbeat, in post-race interviews...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #314: July 06, 2022, 11:21:33 PM »
I watched the stage tonight.  Pogocar can do it all, but Van Aert is like 3 riders. 

I think you see O'Connor and Roglic getting some room to attack and not be followed.  Pogocar only has 21 seconds from Vingegaard after the rescue today, and I think 31 or so on Thomas. Yates I think is the wild card, and with Martinez, they can do some of the work on UAE too. Pidcock, Rowe and Van Baarle are a nice combo for pace setting.

I'm curious about the impact of Clarke and Groenewagen wins have on the whole relegation thing this year.  both IPT and Jayco  are kind of desperate for UCI points.  EF isn't getting any help from the mountains jerseys (no points except maybe for the final jersey).

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #315: July 07, 2022, 03:27:16 AM »
Yes, the relegation battle will be one to keep an eye on. Although we won't know for sure until we reach the high stuff, Pogacar looks as though he can just ride away from everyone at any time - while Vingegaard needed rescuing, Van Aert can't climb well enough, Roglic is injured and some way back, and Thomas just sounded like he was beaten already. We need a surprise package...

Given how things might have turned out, you've never heard so many relieved TV pundits as on UK and European TV channels, last night.... :hysterical:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #316: July 07, 2022, 09:51:43 AM »
Nairo is within a minute of Pogocar, Vlasov is 37 seconds, and I've always thought Schachmann could produce a surprise (43 to Pogocar). Bora looks strong to me.  I would love to see Fuglsang (about a minute to Pogocar) put together a big result since he was crashed out his big year, but I'm not sure he has the team.  Beyond that, there's always the surprise, as you say, who is let go in a break and makes up 4 minutes in a stage, like O'Connor did last year. I don't know if Damiano Caruso would be given freedom.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #317: July 07, 2022, 05:25:22 PM »
Any slight, lingering doubts as to who shall win the Tour were soundly quelled, today...I can't recall the last time a GC contender (Pogacar) has ridden so aggressively in the first week of the Tour. Even on minor climbs, he's attacking and forcing his rivals to respond. I suspect it's because he can sense the relative weakness of his rivals...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #318: July 07, 2022, 07:20:51 PM »
Any slight, lingering doubts as to who shall win the Tour were soundly quelled, today...I can't recall the last time a GC contender (Pogacar) has ridden so aggressively in the first week of the Tour. Even on minor climbs, he's attacking and forcing his rivals to respond. I suspect it's because he can sense the relative weakness of his rivals...
really just needs to stay upright.

• babble on
« Reply #319: July 07, 2022, 08:18:53 PM »
The GC guys must hate it, but I love watching the cobble stages  :D

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #320: July 08, 2022, 08:03:11 AM »
The GC guys must hate it, but I love watching the cobble stages  :D
nairo always seems to handle it well, and he's good in crosswinds. Funny thing is, I don't think he's atop climber anymore.

Almost had my Fugelsang wish. :(  Yesterday might have been one of the first times I have seen Roglic not take a sprint among GC guys when he leads out.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #321: July 08, 2022, 04:01:11 PM »
And there's more...Vingegaard will keep Pogacar honest, but today sent a clear message. Pogacar now over a minute up on everyone, except Vingegaard, and it's still only Week One... ;) As the UK TV pundits put it 'that (Pogacar) was savage...'

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #322: July 09, 2022, 12:16:24 PM »
It's a given that Pogocar's most likely needs to avoid getting sick or a Roglic style crash to get in trouble.  I will keep quiet about what I think should have been the tactics today until anyone recording has a chance to watch.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #323: July 09, 2022, 07:10:22 PM »
I'll add that I would have wanted Pidcock to try to jump early on the final hill today.  He's the MTB gold medalist and world cyclocross champ, and he's not really in the yellow jersey hunt.  That might have drawn out Pogocar.  Maybe he didn't because Thomas / Yates / Martinez were not going to be able to stick with Tadej (or Vingegaard) if things blew up. It looks like Ineos just wants to get through the Alps with 3 or 4 contenders and then do the sequential attacks in the Pyrenees.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #324: July 12, 2022, 08:33:13 AM »
UAE down to 6 as George Bennett is out with Covid positive, as is Luke Durbridge for Bike Exchange-Jayco.  Leaves Pogocar with McNulty and Majka who are looking good as mountain domestiques, along with Hirschi and Soler who it can be hoped improve form. 

I honestly don't think either Jumbo or especially Ineos should be doing UAE any favors by pacing the peleton.