Author Topic: MLB & Division Watching (2018)  (Read 44683 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: MLB & Division Watching (2018)
« Reply #100: February 11, 2018, 10:22:50 AM »
Darvish to the Cubs. Six year deal for $125-150 million. That’s crazy.
Why do you say crazy? There were obviously several teams involved. That drives up the bidding. I am sure the Cubs thought they could get him for less but didn't want to take the chance.

Wonder if this will be the domino that starts the other free agent pitchers signing? It can't be too much longer for that.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #101: February 11, 2018, 10:26:26 AM »
Why do you say crazy? There were obviously several teams involved. That drives up the bidding. I am sure the Cubs thought they could get him for less but didn't want to take the chance.

Wonder if this will be the domino that starts the other free agent pitchers signing? It can't be too much longer for that.

he's almost 32, has only pitched more than 140 innings once in the last 4 years, and his FIP has been around 3.50 over that same span.  He's at best a #3 pitcher right now, and is likely in decline.  Making a 6 year commitment at north of $20 million a season for him seems like an over-pay, and one that will hamstring them if he continues to have health issues.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #102: February 11, 2018, 10:33:58 AM »
he's almost 32, has only pitched more than 140 innings once in the last 4 years, and his FIP has been around 3.50 over that same span.  He's at best a #3 pitcher right now, and is likely in decline.  Making a 6 year commitment at north of $20 million a season for him seems like an over-pay, and one that will hamstring them if he continues to have health issues.
Fair enough. His arm should be rested then. As usual $20 million won't look like so much in 5-6 years. They are going all in for the next couple years. By that time they might have lost some of their young stars or guys could get hurt.

So much for collusion.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #103: February 13, 2018, 08:20:52 PM »
39-year-old Chase Utley has a new 2-year deal with the Dodgers. I couldn’t find the $ amount.

If punchable Utley can get a contract through Age 41, then someone needs to sign Ichiro, for the love of god.

Online imref

« Reply #104: February 13, 2018, 11:23:32 PM »
39-year-old Chase Utley has a new 2-year deal with the Dodgers. I couldn’t find the $ amount.

If punchable Utley can get a contract through Age 41, then someone needs to sign Ichiro, for the love of god.

Ichiro is talking to the Rockies.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #105: February 14, 2018, 08:33:13 AM »
Ichiro is talking to the Rockies.

Rosenthal wrote that that deal isn’t going to happen :(

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #106: February 14, 2018, 11:12:07 AM »
I like Ichiro as much as the next guy, but what's really left for him?  3000 hits, 500 steals, all-time international hits record

The only thing left is a ring, but that's highly unlikely at this point.  He'd be better off joining the coaching staff or front office of the Yankees if he wants that.

Online imref

« Reply #107: February 14, 2018, 05:08:27 PM »
Rosenthal wrote that that deal isn’t going to happen :(

saw that, sounds like he's heading back to Japan.

Online imref

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #109: February 15, 2018, 08:00:24 AM »
poor really rich guy to be super rich and now he's only rich- it tugs at the heart strings.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #110: February 15, 2018, 08:57:02 AM »
Truly.
poor really rich guy to be super rich and now he's only rich- it tugs at the heart strings.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #111: February 15, 2018, 10:47:01 AM »
Rough year for Jake Peavy:  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2756799-i-need-a-miracle-every-day-jake-peavy-picks-up-pieces-of-a-shattered-life

Didn't work for Strasburg:
AS HE HOWLED his way through 377 career starts and 152 wins, as emotional and demonstrative an ace as you'll ever see, he found part of the secret in a tube of Icy Hot.

Roger Clemens lathered himself with it from head to toe before starts and once told Peavy it was because he never liked to take the mound feeling too comfortable. Peavy was all ears.

"He told me to take a little and put it on no-man's land down there," Peavy says wryly.

So over the next 12 years, you might say, Peavy regularly pitched with his balls on fire. Yep, it kept him uncomfortable. Generally, it kept the hitters he faced more uncomfortable.

I say send a scout to his showcase.  If he's got anything, and AJ / Fedde aren't ready, then a bit of that veteranny grit might be in order.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #112: February 15, 2018, 11:20:27 AM »

professional athletes can be so freaking stupid with their money.

"In the South, you're raised in a different manner. Where I live, if a guy looks you in the eye and shakes your hand, that's his word."

:roll:

No wonder so many pro athletes lose a bunch of money. "But he shook my hand!" is not a good reason to give a guy millions!

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #113: February 15, 2018, 11:43:36 AM »

No wonder so many pro athletes lose a bunch of money. "But he shook my hand!" is not a good reason to give a guy millions!

A lot of these guys are barely out of high school before they're handed an Ed McMahon style Big Check, and a lot of them don't come from money.  They don't get the life experience that it really takes to manage large sums of money (think about your first group-house and how much that taught you) so they think $20 million is "bottomless money forever" and they trust everyone because they've never been screwed over.   It's not really any different than lottery winners (or guys named MC Hammer) who run out and buy cars and houses and end up broke 5 years later.   I had a friend who worked with Katrina victims, a large percentage of which spent their FEMA money on "luxury" items like designer shoes or XBoxes because when you've lived paycheck to paycheck all your life, $2500 seems like an unimaginable, life-changing sum of money.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114: February 15, 2018, 11:53:10 AM »
A lot of these guys are barely out of high school before they're handed an Ed McMahon style Big Check, and a lot of them don't come from money.  They don't get the life experience that it really takes to manage large sums of money (think about your first group-house and how much that taught you) so they think $20 million is "bottomless money forever" and they trust everyone because they've never been screwed over.   It's not really any different than lottery winners (or guys named MC Hammer) who run out and buy cars and houses and end up broke 5 years later.   I had a friend who worked with Katrina victims, a large percentage of which spent their FEMA money on "luxury" items like designer shoes or XBoxes because when you've lived paycheck to paycheck all your life, $2500 seems like an unimaginable, life-changing sum of money.

Agree with you on all of this. Except for the part about the South. I grew up in South Carolina and lived in the South until I was 25. The idea he was raised different and people in the South are somehow more trustworthy is just dumb. But I think it's what a lot of Southerners tell themselves for whatever reason to feel superior. 

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #115: February 15, 2018, 11:57:10 AM »
Agree with you on all of this. Except for the part about the South. I grew up in South Carolina and lived in the South until I was 25. The idea he was raised different and people in the South are somehow more trustworthy is just dumb. But I think it's what a lot of Southerners tell themselves for whatever reason to feel superior.

Oh I don't think that people in the South are more trustworthy. But some dumb 20-year-old from the South isn't gonna know that.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116: February 15, 2018, 12:02:07 PM »
Oh I don't think that people in the South are more trustworthy. But some dumb 20-year-old from the South isn't gonna know that.

I should be clear. I wasn't calling you dumb. I was calling him dumb and calling out the stupid notion that Southerners have of themselves. I have no doubt he truly felt this as it's ingrained from childhood that southerners are morally superior to northerners.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #117: February 15, 2018, 12:30:14 PM »
I don't think it's stupidity per se. I think guys who make it that far are ultra competitive. If they talk to a legitimate advisor, they'll either be steered towards something ultra conservative (they've hit their number, why bother with risk?), or maybe a portfolio with some market exposure, but still bond heavy (safe, but not sexy). Then they talk to a guy who knows a guy who says they can make their small fortune into a very large one (think about how many stars talk about owning teams when that's almost an impossibility) and they think they're better than average and they give that guy their money. 

Online imref

« Reply #118: February 15, 2018, 01:12:28 PM »
Anthony Rizzo's high school football coach was killed in the FL school shooting yesterday.  He's left the Cubs training facility and is on his way to Florida.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #119: February 15, 2018, 01:44:11 PM »

In fairness, the article does not say that Peavy is broke. He's pretty well-off in fact, they emphasize, and he was pretty smart with his money all the way along.  It's why he can be as generous as they make him out to be.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #120: February 15, 2018, 02:28:15 PM »
Cashner to the Orioles, 2 years, $16m, assuming he passes that infamous ol' Orioles physical.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #121: February 15, 2018, 02:53:29 PM »
Cashner to the Orioles, 2 years, $16m, assuming he passes that infamous ol' Orioles physical.
how bad did he stink last year?  That seems like a nice, low risk signing that a 2d division club can do.  He'll be the classic pump and dump guy if he has a good first half.

Offline slhubic

« Reply #122: February 15, 2018, 11:07:55 PM »
'stroman', with the jays, not doing so well in taking his arbitration loss personally...

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #123: February 17, 2018, 10:18:00 PM »
Apparently the Rays have been inspired by the Marlins. They just traded Jake Odorizzi to the Twins for SS prospect Jermaine Palacios (not ranked by Baseball America), got Cron from the Angels for a PTBNL, and DFA’ed Corey Dickerson, who, in all fairness, cratered after the All Star break last season but wasn’t on anyone’s short list of “likely to be DFA’ed.”

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #124: February 17, 2018, 11:29:52 PM »
Eric Hosmer has signed an 8-year deal, $144m with the Padres. Has opt-out after 5 years. Padres have not confirmed.