Author Topic: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2018)  (Read 9970 times)

Offline dcpatti

Re: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2018)
« Reply #150: August 29, 2018, 11:39:47 AM »
Should this really be a felony? I mean it’s a crappy thing to do, but felony. Plus he only cheated these women out of half of what they say because I’m assuming they ate too.
I think I’d chalk this up to a crappy first date, be happy I didn’t have to deal with the guy again and have a good story.

Am I missing something?

felony vs misdemeanor is just a matter of dollar value.  Some states haven't updated their laws since the 70's or 80's when stealing $250 worth of stuff equaled a lot more stuff.  There was one state fairly recently-- I wanna say Alabama, cause this is such an Alabama thing to do-- that lowered the felony limit for theft.  This was met with real outrage from homeless rights and poverty rights activists, as it's really easy to reach $250 (or whatever limit) on diapers and formula, both of which are frequently stolen by homeless or deeply poor mothers.   The net effect of such low dollar thresholds for felonies means you're creating more felons, putting more people behind bars, making more people who lose their voting rights (in most states) and more people who have to check that box on a job application, making it harder for them to find a job. 

Sorry for the tangent but it's a big deal and one that doesn't get a lot of coverage. 

As for this dude, I would imagine that each individual victim probably chalked it up to a crappy first date and went on with life, till they heard they're part of a pattern of victims.  It also sounds like he went overboard on the checks, so he cheated them out of more like 75% of the bill, since they both ate but he was the one shoving 4 lobsters down his face hole.  Anyway if you have a pattern of defrauding people, then yeah I think you should face some charges. Not sure if a felony is really appropriate but if it's the standard for homeless women stealing diapers, then it should be the standard for players stealing lobster dinners.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #151: August 29, 2018, 11:51:40 AM »
felony vs misdemeanor is just a matter of dollar value.  Some states haven't updated their laws since the 70's or 80's when stealing $250 worth of stuff equaled a lot more stuff.  There was one state fairly recently-- I wanna say Alabama, cause this is such an Alabama thing to do-- that lowered the felony limit for theft.  This was met with real outrage from homeless rights and poverty rights activists, as it's really easy to reach $250 (or whatever limit) on diapers and formula, both of which are frequently stolen by homeless or deeply poor mothers.   The net effect of such low dollar thresholds for felonies means you're creating more felons, putting more people behind bars, making more people who lose their voting rights (in most states) and more people who have to check that box on a job application, making it harder for them to find a job. 

Sorry for the tangent but it's a big deal and one that doesn't get a lot of coverage. 

As for this dude, I would imagine that each individual victim probably chalked it up to a crappy first date and went on with life, till they heard they're part of a pattern of victims.  It also sounds like he went overboard on the checks, so he cheated them out of more like 75% of the bill, since they both ate but he was the one shoving 4 lobsters down his face hole.  Anyway if you have a pattern of defrauding people, then yeah I think you should face some charges. Not sure if a felony is really appropriate but if it's the standard for homeless women stealing diapers, then it should be the standard for players stealing lobster dinners.

Well done patti   :clap:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #152: August 29, 2018, 12:48:01 PM »
Should this really be a felony? I mean it’s a crappy thing to do, but felony. Plus he only cheated these women out of half of what they say because I’m assuming they ate too.
I think I’d chalk this up to a crappy first date, be happy I didn’t have to deal with the guy again and have a good story.

Am I missing something?

I could see it being a crappy first date, but this guy was clearly planning it from the beginning:

Gonzales ordered two entrees — a chicken dish and four lobster tails, she said. He ordered expensive wine and then a soufflé for dessert.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #153: August 30, 2018, 03:09:18 PM »

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #154: September 01, 2018, 06:44:44 AM »
This Spicy Garlic Lime Chicken recipe is easy to do with tons of flavor:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/44868/spicy-garlic-lime-chicken/

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #156: September 02, 2018, 10:34:07 AM »
Today is my 6th wedding anniversary and I’d like to give a shout-out to this cake which was freakin delicious! Chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream, chocolate and peanut butter filling, and yes those are Reese’s cups on it. Yum.
Made by Corcoran Caterers, Silver Spring.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #157: September 02, 2018, 10:35:29 AM »
Today is my 6th wedding anniversary and I’d like to give a shout-out to this cake which was freakin delicious! Chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream, chocolate and peanut butter filling, and yes those are Reese’s cups on it. Yum.

(Image removed from quote.)
Congrats!

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #158: September 02, 2018, 10:55:04 AM »

Congrats, dcpatti :clap:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #159: September 02, 2018, 10:56:28 AM »

Congrats on the 6th anniversary. I can see why you'd splurge on that fantastic looking cake, you only get married a second time once. ;)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160: September 02, 2018, 05:12:57 PM »

Congrats on the anniversary. I just want to be clear. Is this the wedding cake or an anniversary cake? Either way it looks delicious, but if it’s the latter, I’m walking to your house to get a piece...😉

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #161: September 02, 2018, 05:33:00 PM »

Happy Anniversary :clap:

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #162: September 02, 2018, 06:04:16 PM »
Congrats on the anniversary. I just want to be clear. Is this the wedding cake or an anniversary cake? Either way it looks delicious, but if it’s the latter, I’m walking to your house to get a piece...😉

That’s the wedding cake. we saved the top tier to freeze for our first anniversary but we (along with some friends and neighbors) sat around eating cake all day the next day instead.  I just wanted to reminisce and show it off cause that was one ridiculous cake. The best I can offer currently is a Klondike bar.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #163: September 02, 2018, 06:09:05 PM »
The best I can offer currently is a Klondike bar.

I'm in!  :D

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #166: September 13, 2018, 09:35:12 PM »
I’m looking to invest in a chef knife. I’d love recommendations, but I’d also like to know if anyone knows of a place that will let me use the knife before I buy it.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #167: September 13, 2018, 09:40:43 PM »
I’m looking to invest in a chef knife. I’d love recommendations, but I’d also like to know if anyone knows of a place that will let me use the knife before I buy it.

vitrox is what cooks illustrated/america’s test kitchen recommends

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-Chefs-Knife-8-Inch/dp/B008M5U1C2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536889135&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=cooks+illustrated+chefs+knife&dpPl=1&dpID=31PCiVEQOIL&ref=plSrch

I have Shun knives, but that one is the one always end up using

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #168: September 13, 2018, 10:44:22 PM »

I got a Wusthof about two years ago and it's been great.  I'd recommend trying different brands and going with whichever feels most comfortable in your hand.  Maybe a place like Sur La Table or Williams Sonoma would let you try one before you bought it. 

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #169: September 13, 2018, 10:49:19 PM »

for a traditional chefs knife I like Frederich Dick 10” Professional (they have another line which I don’t like as much). https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Chefs-Knife-Forged-Steel/dp/B0008JIOO2/  This is a good, high quality knife that isn’t ridiculously expensive and can handle some abuse. It will last you a very long time. It is really well balanced and fairly easy to sharpen.

If you like a lighter knife, Wusthof makes a good santoku knife https://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-4183-7-Classic-7-Inch-Santoku/dp/B00005MEGX/ Just be careful with their lines, as they have a few different price points and their entry level knives are kind of silly.

I don’t know anywhere that you can test drive a knife but if you have any friends who are restaurant owners/managers, many get their knives through a weekly service and you may be able to ask them to add a couple on for a week’s loan.  You may also want to call Sur la Table and see if they have any knife skills classes upcoming or if any of their other classes will involve cutting using their knives, because that would make for a good test drive.

Offline blue911

« Reply #170: September 14, 2018, 04:12:58 AM »

I have a Kato Gyuto that is great. It's lightweight so not perfect for spatcchcocking or other heavy work but it's sharp as hell and I bought it from the knife shop in Union Market and they threw in a lifetime of free sharpening as well.

I don't know your experience level but  you want a knife that has a full tang, riveted handle and if you are just starting out a bolster as well. Most of the Japanese knives don't have a bolster which makes handling them a bit tricky at first.

Offline blue911

« Reply #171: September 14, 2018, 04:30:37 AM »

for a traditional chefs knife I like Frederich Dick 10” Professional (they have another line which I don’t like as much). https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Chefs-Knife-Forged-Steel/dp/B0008JIOO2/  This is a good, high quality knife that isn’t ridiculously expensive and can handle some abuse. It will last you a very long time. It is really well balanced and fairly easy to sharpen.

If you like a lighter knife, Wusthof makes a good santoku knife https://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-4183-7-Classic-7-Inch-Santoku/dp/B00005MEGX/ Just be careful with their lines, as they have a few different price points and their entry level knives are kind of silly.

I don’t know anywhere that you can test drive a knife but if you have any friends who are restaurant owners/managers, many get their knives through a weekly service and you may be able to ask them to add a couple on for a week’s loan.  You may also want to call Sur la Table and see if they have any knife skills classes upcoming or if any of their other classes will involve cutting using their knives, because that would make for a good test drive.

This is a good point even if you aren't buying a knife.

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #172: September 14, 2018, 05:50:43 AM »

This is a good point even if you aren't buying a knife.

I see what you did there.

:cheers:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173: September 14, 2018, 08:15:06 AM »
I recently took a knife skills class, which is what made me realize I need to buy a nice knife.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #174: September 14, 2018, 08:17:04 AM »
I recently took a knife skills class, which is what made me realize I need to buy a nice knife.

Save your money and get one off the shelf from Costco or Walmart.