Author Topic: Video Games - 2018  (Read 577 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Video Games - 2018
« Topic Start: January 02, 2018, 01:08:45 PM »
Another year is upon is. Steam sales still have another day or two.  I got Rainbow Six Siege on PC. Username is the same as here, so add me if you want to play.

Last couple days of Steam Sales, so I'm trying to decide what I want. Really what I want is a nice single player game. Options:

Mass Effect Andromeda - 24.99 (have to get it off Origins)
Sniper Elite 4 - 20.39
Dishonored 2 - 19.99
Rise of the Tomb Raider - 19.99
Mafia III - 15.99
Shadow of Mordor - 41.99
Assassin's Creed Origins - 41.99

Other than that, I'm really only interested to see if CyberPunk 2077 gets a new trailer. Which reminds me, if you haven't played Witcher 3, you should. You really, REALLY, should.

Offline dracnal

Re: Video Games - 2018
« Reply #1: January 02, 2018, 02:15:14 PM »
Worth looking into a month (or if they have one, a trial) of the Origins Vault/Pass/Whatever. It's got the full Andromeda (as well as many other games). Very much worth the price for me, especially since it let me play a bunch of stuff I wouldn't normally have done.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2: January 02, 2018, 04:52:20 PM »
I know this isn't heavy duty gaming, but my wife bought me a Nintendo switch for Christmas. It's now my only console game. I never really could get into first person shooters, but most other games I will give a chance. Any games that someone could recommend for this platform. It came with Super Mario Kart, which I love, but she told me that I am on my own otherwise. I've gotten some ideas from internet (Zelda), but thought I would ask here as well.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #3: January 02, 2018, 07:46:49 PM »
I know this isn't heavy duty gaming, but my wife bought me a Nintendo switch for Christmas. It's now my only console game. I never really could get into first person shooters, but most other games I will give a chance. Any games that someone could recommend for this platform. It came with Super Mario Kart, which I love, but she told me that I am on my own otherwise. I've gotten some ideas from internet (Zelda), but thought I would ask here as well.

So jealous. I debated getting one. Zelda and Super Mario Odyssey are apparently the best games.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #4: January 03, 2018, 01:05:35 AM »
So jealous. I debated getting one. Zelda and Super Mario Odyssey are apparently the best games.

I would love to own one for just those two games.  There are others that sound solid for me, but I'm a long term hardcore gamer type.  I love the idea of being able to switch between main screen and hand held at the drop of a hat. I can connect my laptop to the TV when I'm playing something the wife likes to watch (Witcher series, Banner Saga, etc), but being able to go on the road without worrying about battery life for a day is a really nice feature. The Switch is absolutely my #1 target for work bonus that doesn't need to go towards bills.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5: January 03, 2018, 08:48:28 AM »
I would love to own one for just those two games.  There are others that sound solid for me, but I'm a long term hardcore gamer type.  I love the idea of being able to switch between main screen and hand held at the drop of a hat. I can connect my laptop to the TV when I'm playing something the wife likes to watch (Witcher series, Banner Saga, etc), but being able to go on the road without worrying about battery life for a day is a really nice feature. The Switch is absolutely my #1 target for work bonus that doesn't need to go towards bills.

To be fair, the battery won’t last you all day. I’m not entirely sure it would last a transatlantic flight.  I bought a portable battery pack for mine though.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #6: January 09, 2018, 01:39:35 PM »
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3-outgrossed-some-of-2017s-biggest-games-because-its-just-that-good/

I've come to the conclusion that there will never be a game as good as Witcher  3

Offline Slateman

« Reply #7: January 21, 2018, 09:45:32 AM »

Offline awbb

« Reply #8: January 23, 2018, 04:15:13 AM »
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3-outgrossed-some-of-2017s-biggest-games-because-its-just-that-good/

I've come to the conclusion that there will never be a game as good as Witcher  3

It's strange but I got this (GOTY with all the DLC) over a year ago and really couldn't get into it. I'm a reasonably large (A)RPG fanboy - played Skyrim to death, despite its buggy brokenness that required unofficial mod after mod to fix properly, something Bethesda could well learn from CD Projekt.

<Resists the urge to lay into Bethesda for turning user made content into a revenue stream as well as releasing a Nintendo switch version of Skyrim that STILL has all the bugs in it>.

I have no doubt I will give Geralt another go in a year or so and decide it is magnificent.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #9: January 23, 2018, 06:47:20 AM »
Do it now. It's a slow game to get into.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #10: January 23, 2018, 09:23:48 AM »
Do it now. It's a slow game to get into.

For folks who played the previous two games, I think the start is fine. For people who didn't, I agree it is a bit slow. The characters are all fully established at this point, so for new people it's a couple of randos walking along and talking. At the very least, give the game until you fight the gryphon and get out of the tutorial area.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #11: January 23, 2018, 09:48:42 AM »
For folks who played the previous two games, I think the start is fine. For people who didn't, I agree it is a bit slow. The characters are all fully established at this point, so for new people it's a couple of randos walking along and talking. At the very least, give the game until you fight the gryphon and get out of the tutorial area.

There's a mod that changes the beginning into something else. Actually, there a bunch of mods for it that make the game alot more interesting. Over spring break, I'm probably going to start a new playthrough with a new graphics set and combat mod

Offline awbb

« Reply #12: January 23, 2018, 10:50:32 AM »
There's a mod that changes the beginning into something else. Actually, there a bunch of mods for it that make the game alot more interesting. Over spring break, I'm probably going to start a new playthrough with a new graphics set and combat mod

OK, I'll put it back to the top of my list.

What's your rig Slate? Let us know what mods you use for if you do go for it.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #13: June 15, 2018, 11:36:07 AM »
Slate, if you haven't seen the trailer for Cyberpunk 2077, definitely go watch it. But I think you'll like this edit of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OinRDzEbqXc&feature=youtu.be

Offline Slateman

« Reply #14: June 15, 2018, 11:45:19 AM »
Saw it. I mean, I have incredibly high hopes given the developer. But I didn't see anything that really made me go wow. Then again, didn't with Witcher 3 either.

Offline Slateman

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #16: July 06, 2018, 08:29:32 AM »
I just started Far Cry 5. It’s very enjoyable.

I’ve been playing MP shooters and need a change of pace.

It’s endless fun. If you haven’t already, check it out.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #17: July 06, 2018, 09:28:52 AM »
I'll probably get it during the Xmas sales.

Between Ebay's 15% coupon and EVGA's bundles, I bought a whole new system. i8400 processor with Mobo and an 8GB stick of DD4 Vengeance LPX. 1080ti with cooler is on the way too.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #18: December 31, 2018, 12:02:26 PM »

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #19: January 04, 2019, 08:22:36 AM »
Recently picked up Red Dead Redemption 2. Wow. What a game.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #20: January 04, 2019, 11:25:27 AM »

It’s really good.

Also so is Hitman 2 if you haven’t tried it

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #21: March 31, 2019, 01:58:20 AM »
Now that it's cross-plat, if anyone is still playing Rocket League and wants a partner that doesn't exude toxicity when someone freaks up let me know. Switch player if you care, gold/platinum range.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #22: October 17, 2019, 06:49:17 PM »
So ... about that ....