Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Wil Crowe, RHP  (Read 8360 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Follow the Prospects: Wil Crowe, RHP
« Topic Start: December 29, 2017, 09:49:42 AM »
2107 2d round draft pick

[I need better skills to put in picture]

William Chandler Crowe
Born 9/9/94, Seveirvile, Tenn.
6'2" 240 lbs.
Bats / Throws R/R
Drafted as a junior out of University of South Carolina
Previously drafted twice by Cleveland.

Sickels ranking in system - #6, B/ B- , with ETA of late 2019
Highlights 90-96 MPH fastball with 3 average secondary pitches (curve, slider, change). Maturity, mound presence are strengths.
https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/12/24/16816918/washington-nationals-top-20-prospects-for-2018

Baseball America ranking in system - #7.
Lists him as having the best curveball in system and projects him in the 2021 rotation.

Longenhagen in Fangraphs had him #10 in his midsummet (august) update on the system.
https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/updated-top-10-prospects-nl-east/

Draft story: https://www.seccountry.com/south-carolina/south-carolina-baseball-wil-crowe-mlb-draft-washington-nationals
Crowe, who opted against going pro in 2015 after surgery, came back to South Carolina to put together a solid year after sitting out the 2016 season. He led the Gamecocks with 90 strikeouts and tied for the team lead with six wins.

https://www.fanragsports.com/wil-crowe-brings-washington-nationals/
Scouting report

“Crowe has regained his velocity after having his elbow reconstructed, working at 92-95 and hitting 97 with nice sink. His curveball can be a plus pitch with power and depth when it’s on, and he also can miss bats with his slider. His changeup shows some promise of becoming another solid offering, though it too requires more consistency.

“Crowe has a history of throwing strikes and has gotten his command back this spring. His large frame earns him Joe Blanton comparisons, and while he’s not terribly athletic, his delivery works well. The redshirt junior’s medical history will raise some red flags, as will the fact that he’ll turn 23 three months after the 2017 Draft” – MLB.com.

In 2017 with the Nats, he reached Hagerstown, threw 20.2 innings (7 starts), had a nice 5:1 K:BB (15:3).

Offline NJ Ave

Re: Follow the Prospects: Wil Crowe, RHP
« Reply #1: December 29, 2017, 11:11:35 AM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2: December 29, 2017, 11:32:12 AM »
Body like a young Joe Blanton.  :?

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #3: December 29, 2017, 11:37:11 AM »
Body like a young Joe Blanton.  :?

Wil Crowe for food?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #4: December 29, 2017, 12:49:56 PM »
I drafted this guy in OOTP and he turned into a Cy Young award winner with some historically great seasons FYI

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5: December 29, 2017, 01:23:57 PM »
Honestly, given his 4 pitches and his age, I could see him starting at Potomac then getting a jump to Harrisburg by August and a cup of coffee in September.  He may be the next starter after Cole / Fedde.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #6: December 29, 2017, 01:40:56 PM »
Honestly, given his 4 pitches and his age, I could see him starting at Potomac then getting a jump to Harrisburg by August and a cup of coffee in September.  He may be the next starter after Cole / Fedde.

No reason not to fly him up the ladder.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #7: December 29, 2017, 01:53:58 PM »
might see him and Romero in D.C. next year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8: March 06, 2018, 07:34:37 PM »
might see him and Romero in D.C. next year.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #9: April 17, 2018, 06:14:29 PM »
Off to a really good start. 3.60 era in 2 starts, 12 K's, 1 BB in 10 IP

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10: April 18, 2018, 09:00:47 AM »
Off to a really good start. 3.60 era in 2 starts, 12 K's, 1 BB in 10 IP
This guy I think is the next rotation piece after Fedde.  I think that with his development, and getting a full year out of Soto and Kieboom, the team's minors will end up turning out more MLB regulars than it currently is projected to do.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11: April 18, 2018, 11:14:07 AM »

You don’t think Romero can make it up next year? Apparently his stuff is nasty.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #12: April 18, 2018, 11:41:45 AM »
You don’t think Romero can make it up next year? Apparently his stuff is nasty.

As, apparently, is is work ethic. But not in a good way. :)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #13: April 18, 2018, 12:17:55 PM »
As, apparently, is is work ethic. But not in a good way. :)

Johnny Baseball...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #14: April 18, 2018, 12:27:32 PM »
This guy I think is the next rotation piece after Fedde.  I think that with his development, and getting a full year out of Soto and Kieboom, the team's minors will end up turning out more MLB regulars than it currently is projected to do.

I expect him to get to AA pretty quickly and then september call-up this year

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #15: April 18, 2018, 06:45:46 PM »

I saw his most recent start (Saturday).  He was good.  Lots of worm-killer grounders, no deep counts, no walks, lots of guys off-stride, mixed his pitches well.  Gave up a couple reasonably long flies (some very wind-aided, one of which went out) on high fastballs, but otherwise he looked good. 

Velocity was a question mark, as the stadium gun was quite obviously malfunctioning.  Eyeballing it, it looked like low-90s on the fastball, which sinks pretty hard, with the offspeed stuff coming in at least 7-10 mph slower.   The bios list him at 6'2," which I don't think he is, but his legs are extremely thick - looks like Roark, just a bit smaller.  If he's like that every (or most) times out, he should be in Harrisburg by mid-season.

I expect him to get to AA pretty quickly and then september call-up this year

September seems unrealistic to me.  He only threw 24.1 innings last year and has a TJ in his history.  He was clearly on an innings limit on Saturday, coming out after 5 despite being quite sharp and not having thrown many pitches (I didn't count, but probably no more than 60 - really).  That suggests they're trying to stretch him to cover as much time as possible before shutting him down, but he probably won't last the full year.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #16: April 19, 2018, 09:08:55 AM »
Velocity was a question mark, as the stadium gun was quite obviously malfunctioning.  Eyeballing it, it looked like low-90s on the fastball, which sinks pretty hard, with the offspeed stuff coming in at least 7-10 mph slower.

Seemingly reputable scouting report on twitter has the FB sitting 92-93, SL 82-86, CH 84-86 so your eye was right on. Scout noted that it was cold and wet and he'll probably get back to sitting 94-95 when it warms up. A lot of guys in the minors and majors are a tick off because of all the cold weather.

Offline RD

« Reply #17: April 19, 2018, 01:15:32 PM »

September seems unrealistic to me.  He only threw 24.1 innings last year and has a TJ in his history.  He was clearly on an innings limit on Saturday, coming out after 5 despite being quite sharp and not having thrown many pitches (I didn't count, but probably no more than 60 - really).  That suggests they're trying to stretch him to cover as much time as possible before shutting him down, but he probably won't last the full year.

He pitched 92 in college before his professional innings. So he actually pitched approximately 115 innings last year.

I'm not going to say he reaches the bigs, but I don't think they're babying him this year with a hard line innings limit.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #18: April 19, 2018, 01:56:27 PM »
He pitched 92 in college before his professional innings. So he actually pitched approximately 115 innings last year.

I'm not going to say he reaches the bigs, but I don't think they're babying him this year with a hard line innings limit.

Ah, that's true.  Good point.  I'd still think they'd limit him around 145-150.  Really, there was no other reason he would have come out of that game Saturday after 5 other than innings. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19: April 19, 2018, 02:08:30 PM »
Ah, that's true.  Good point.  I'd still think they'd limit him around 145-150.  Really, there was no other reason he would have come out of that game Saturday after 5 other than innings. 
They may want him to  go into September with a few bullets left so he can throw in the majors that month.  I think they have in the past tried to get college pitchers used to pitching in more games and longer in the year as part of the development process, rather than blow through the innings target by mid-August.

Also, great to see RD back!

Offline RD

« Reply #20: April 20, 2018, 05:09:53 PM »

The 140-145 range was kind of what I expected as well. I don't know if I'd call that a limit though. Without knowing any facts, I'd guess not many minor leaguers go much further than 150. I doubt we totally turn him loose with no restrictions, though. Perhaps it's just a simple step in the process of building him up throughout the year. There isn't much to be gained by going 7 and 8 right now. Save a few innings early and maybe you give him a longer leash on the Summer.

Offline RD

« Reply #21: April 20, 2018, 05:11:34 PM »
They may want him to  go into September with a few bullets left so he can throw in the majors that month.  I think they have in the past tried to get college pitchers used to pitching in more games and longer in the year as part of the development process, rather than blow through the innings target by mid-August.

Also, great to see RD back!

Thanks. Been around from time to time lurking i suppose, but it's baseball season now! Great time of the year.

Offline imref

Offline imref

« Reply #23: May 30, 2018, 12:18:03 PM »
probably heading to Harrisburg soon:  6-0, 2.54, 49.2 IP, 1.17 WHIP.  44Ks / 17BBs.  He's gone at least 5 in every start this year.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #24: August 07, 2018, 10:02:57 AM »
Promoted to AA Harrisburg today. Wil was 11-0 in his tenure with the PNats, with a 2.60 ERA.