Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Wil Crowe, RHP  (Read 8402 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Follow the Prospects: Wil Crowe, RHP
« Reply #50: April 24, 2019, 10:14:30 AM »
From 2014-2018 Tanner Roark had the 42nd most SP WAR in MLB and had 4 out of 5 seasons where he put up 2 WAR or better. He was an "ideal 4/5 starter" on a perennial playoff team that usually had one of the stronger rotations in the game. He also would have been an "ideal 1/2 starter" on 6-8 teams last season.

I don't really disagree about Hellickson, but when I say, "so in reality a #4/5 starter is basically worthless" what I mean is a guy like Hellickson gets a 1/$1.3 million contract, 1200 innings into his career. That's basically worthless in a league where you pay a minor league callup $600K.
To me, 4/5 starter is someone you don't pitch in the playoffs, or convert to a long reliever in the playoffs.

I'd say Roark is an ideal 4/5 starter. Other 4/5 starters might be Junior Guerra, Tyson Ross, or Danny Duffy. Basically, you want them to make 25 or more starts, and get to about 150 innings with an ERA under 5.

I do agree that something like that isn't worth  spending money on. It's why Roark is gone.

But I have to wonder if Crowe is more valuable as a 4/5 starter, or if he would be a better reliever. Craig Stammen appeared in 73 games, pitched 79 innings, and was worth over 2 WAR last season. If you can get a Hellickson/Alex Cobb/Junior Guerra for ~ 2.5 million, maybe we should do that and look to convert guys like Crowe to multi-inning relievers?