Author Topic: The Eagles (the band) coming to Nats Park  (Read 1602 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
The Eagles (the band) coming to Nats Park
« Topic Start: November 23, 2017, 10:41:57 AM »
July 26 w/ James Taylor opening.  Vince Gill and Deacon Frey (Glenn's son) are taking Glenn's place.

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/tickets/specials/eagles

Tickets starting at $99 :(

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: The Eagles (the band) coming to Nats Park
« Reply #1: November 23, 2017, 06:33:18 PM »
Wow . . .  I may use my rights as head of my ticket group to grab a pair (of tickets - got to qualify that now in).

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2: November 23, 2017, 07:53:28 PM »
So where will the band stage be setup ?

Offline imref

« Reply #3: November 23, 2017, 08:38:10 PM »

Link above has the layout.  Stage will be in CF.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: November 23, 2017, 08:43:25 PM »
Wow . . .  I may use my rights as head of my ticket group to grab a pair (of tickets - got to qualify that now in).

We learned last year that those privileges can be very useful. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: November 23, 2017, 08:43:47 PM »

Right center

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #6: November 26, 2017, 04:59:45 PM »
These washed up bums are still touring?  Jesus, I saw them a couple of times in 2004 and they were absolutely terrible. Don Henley actually still sounded fine but Joe Walsh sounded like he’d just gargled razor blades before stepping on stage.

Offline imref

« Reply #7: November 26, 2017, 05:38:43 PM »
Xm channel 30 has been playing an Eagles concert from October. I listened a bit today and they sounded fine.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #8: November 26, 2017, 05:41:59 PM »
These washed up bums are still touring?  Jesus, I saw them a couple of times in 2004 and they were absolutely terrible. Don Henley actually still sounded fine but Joe Walsh sounded like he’d just gargled razor blades before stepping on stage.
That's how Joe Walsh sounded in 1974.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #9: November 26, 2017, 05:50:37 PM »

When The Eagles won the Grammy for album of the year in 1978 - Hotel California - I recall the host, Andy Williams, announcing the winner as "The Eagles?"  He clearly was not a fan and did not agree with the choice.

The Eagles were all in attendance but decided not to go up to get the award (accounts vary as to why) and Williams accepted on their behalf...however begrudgingly...

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #10: November 26, 2017, 06:56:42 PM »
Xm channel 30 has been playing an Eagles concert from October. I listened a bit today and they sounded fine.

They probably got smart and started playing to pre-recorded tapes.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #11: November 26, 2017, 07:05:00 PM »
Nats Park has been open for over ten years and hosted several dozen musical acts as stand alone shows, post game concerts, charity events, and pre-game happy hours. Pop, Rock, and Country, all with one thing in common.

Where is Mookie to throw a trash can through the front window?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: November 26, 2017, 08:56:25 PM »

It's the "Hotel California" channel.  It works for me so far, lots of Eagles of course but also each of the band members in their other projects (Joe Walsh with the James Gang  :whip: and Timothy B. Schmidt with Poco, for example.)  Also lots of "influences".  Randy Newman, Jackson Browne, Beatles. 

It's only temporary, not sure how long but if it lasts a month or two I'm good with it.

MDS - you're kind of right about how Joe Walsh sounds, like he had a stroke or something.  But we listened yesterday for about an hour as he did a show and he was very funny.  I like the way he talks even if it's a cross between wasted and brain damaged.  How great would it be to sit next to him at a bar for a couple of hours?

Too bad Glen Frey no longer around.  They're using Vince Gill and Glen's son a bit to fill in, just not the same.  Yes, Gill's as good of a choice as you can get, but he can't help but put that slicked up Nashville voice skill set to to work and though he hits Frey's range great, Glen sang it straight without trying to "country" it all up.  Gill is best when he chills a bit and stops acting like he wants another Grammy.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #13: November 26, 2017, 09:17:44 PM »
Wasn't "Mercy Me" dogmatic and stupid? 
Nats Park has been open for over ten years and hosted several dozen musical acts as stand alone shows, post game concerts, charity events, and pre-game happy hours. Pop, Rock, and Country, all with one thing in common.

Where is Mookie to throw a trash can through the front window?

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #14: November 26, 2017, 10:23:21 PM »
The people I was with were much older than me and didn’t get why I thought they were terrible but I also wasn’t banging strangers in the back of dad’s Dodge back in ‘77 whole they provided the soundtrack so the Magic was probably lost on me.  Tim B Schmidt actually sounded great and got me to check out his solo records.  Glenn Frey looked like he was performing in dinner theatre.

Re: Joe Walsh - the thing that got me was Glenn, Don, and Tim all had obviously worked on their voices for the tour and were all pretty close to 80% of their heyday voices. Joe just sounded like he hadn’t bothered to warm up much less rehearse (he flubbed too many lines to count) and was acting like this was the first time he’d seen those guys since the ‘94 shindig. The other issue I had was that they were all very robotic and had the stage presence of someone receiving a Mandela Necklace.  Don Henley, in particular, looked like he was only playing with them during a song if they stroked out a check to him beforehand. Just very wooden.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #15: November 27, 2017, 07:43:40 AM »
The people I was with were much older than me and didn’t get why I thought they were terrible but I also wasn’t banging strangers in the back of dad’s Dodge back in ‘77 whole they provided the soundtrack so the Magic was probably lost on me.  Tim B Schmidt actually sounded great and got me to check out his solo records.  Glenn Frey looked like he was performing in dinner theatre.

Re: Joe Walsh - the thing that got me was Glenn, Don, and Tim all had obviously worked on their voices for the tour and were all pretty close to 80% of their heyday voices. Joe just sounded like he hadn’t bothered to warm up much less rehearse (he flubbed too many lines to count) and was acting like this was the first time he’d seen those guys since the ‘94 shindig. The other issue I had was that they were all very robotic and had the stage presence of someone receiving a Mandela Necklace.  Don Henley, in particular, looked like he was only playing with them during a song if they stroked out a check to him beforehand. Just very wooden.
Tim Schmidt is awesome. I believe he played and sang on some of the Steely Dan albums also in addition to being in Poco. He replaced Randy Meissner in both Poco and the Eagles.

Offline wj73

« Reply #16: December 01, 2017, 04:13:42 PM »
Actually had two of the $99 tix in my cart yesterday, but when I went to check out, there were almost $50 in “convenience “ and “processing” fees added to the cost. I knew there’d be extra charges, but adding an additional 25% on top of the listed price?  No thanks. That really irritated me and I cancelled the transaction.

I thought it would be fun to go to this concert celebrating the 40th anniversary of the release of Hotel California, since I saw the Eagles at Cap Centre when the album was first released. I guess I’ll just download the album and save myself a pile of $$$$. Besides, my guess is Nats Park will have much less sweet-smelling smoke in the air then there was that night at Cap Centre.  :whistle:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17: December 01, 2017, 04:20:56 PM »
I picked up 8 in section 304. Fees are fees.  I just paid about 30% for tickets to Marshall Tucker last night at the Birchmere, and basically they are now a cover band behind the singer Doug Gray [a pretty awesome cover band, though, with a heck of a sax/ keyboard/ flute player doing the best Jerry Eubank impersonation].

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #18: December 01, 2017, 04:24:02 PM »
I picked up 8 in section 304. Fees are fees.  I just paid about 30% for tickets to Marshall Tucker last night at the Birchmere, and basically they are now a cover band behind the singer Doug Gray [a pretty awesome cover band, though, with a heck of a sax/ keyboard/ flute player doing the best Jerry Eubank impersonation].

I saw them a couple years ago and they didn't even play "Heard it in a love song" it was the only song I wanted to hear!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  how does a band NOT play it's best song??  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #19: December 01, 2017, 04:25:46 PM »
I saw them a couple years ago and they didn't even play "Heard it in a love song" it was the only song I wanted to hear!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  how does a band NOT play it's best song??  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ask Springsteen...he doesn't care about his fans either...  :couch:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #20: December 01, 2017, 04:48:40 PM »

:lmao:  Bruce has like 500 great songs-Marshall Tucker Band has like, 3 and didn't even play one of them!!! I'm still bitter!!!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21: December 01, 2017, 06:23:29 PM »
:lmao:  Bruce has like 500 great songs-Marshall Tucker Band has like, 3 and didn't even play one of them!!! I'm still bitter!!!
they played it last night and Can't You See, which was interesting because that was a Toy Caldwell song, not Doug Gray, IIRC.  They skipped 24 hours at a Time and a few others I would have wanted, but did a great job with Blue Ridge Mountain Sky.  They did slip a bit into the jam on 24 hours at a Time (2 guitars and a sax chasing each other around), but no steel guitar and no guest fiddler.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #22: December 01, 2017, 08:00:23 PM »
Actually had two of the $99 tix in my cart yesterday, but when I went to check out, there were almost $50 in “convenience “ and “processing” fees added to the cost. I knew there’d be extra charges, but adding an additional 25% on top of the listed price?  No thanks. That really irritated me and I cancelled the transaction.

I thought it would be fun to go to this concert celebrating the 40th anniversary of the release of Hotel California, since I saw the Eagles at Cap Centre when the album was first released. I guess I’ll just download the album and save myself a pile of $$$$. Besides, my guess is Nats Park will have much less sweet-smelling smoke in the air then there was that night at Cap Centre.  :whistle:

Do you recall who the warmup act was?  Clue -he had just released Margaritaville

Offline imref

« Reply #23: December 01, 2017, 08:12:28 PM »
You could probably hang out in the park near the 1b side and listen to the concert from there. :)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #24: December 01, 2017, 09:07:27 PM »
What are you - on drugs ?  Bruce has played concerts for hours - has always been known for the longest concerts