Author Topic: Harper trade speculation (breakout from off-season thread)  (Read 37078 times)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

come on tomterp, a 19" television in this day and age, that is just too dated!!!!!!!!!  :twisted:

Right? :crackup:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
I sense the sarcasm here for elitist is Spider's middle name

I didn't realize Spider was an elitist.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
When is the last time you attended an MLB game in Chicago?

Thought so...
Last year. You?

White Sox fans > Cubs fans

Online Slateman

When is the last time you attended an MLB game in Chicago?

Thought so...
Dude...I lived it.

Most of the real Cubs fans aren't at the game...they hang out at the same neighborhood tavern their grandfather did, watching the game on a 19" TV on a shelf in the corner of the bar...they live and die by them.  Sure, there are posers at the game...those folks are not indicative of real Cubs fans.

Sox fan are students of the game, but if the team left town, they'd get over it.

Without having lived it, someone telling me about the underbelly of Chicago sports is about as freaking stoopid as me telling Slate about conditions on the ground in the sandbox.

You realize these two statements contradict each other? You're trying to tell me that I don't know about the fandom because I haven't been to a game, but then say all the "true" fans don't go to games.

Cubs fans are a bunch of hipster, douche bags who will forget about their team when they lose 95 games in a couple years.

Offline Ray D

Ah, but they can tell you who was on the '59 Go-Go Sox... ;)

So can I. Everyone our age can.

(Without looking it up ... Fox, Aparacio, Rivera, Landis, smith, Averil  (can't remember corner infielders)  .... Wynn, Pierce (and two days of rain)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Last year. You?

White Sox fans > Cubs fans

Mothers Day, 2017...a White Sox game with my mother, aunt and daughter.  It was a sterile environment...those in attendance were all watching a game that could have been between the Rockies and the Marlins for all the excitement they had.

Sox fans are baseball people who hate Cubs fans.  Cubs fans love the Cubs and hate everyone else...

Sox fans are civilized and loyal...Cubs fans are obnoxious and rabid.

It's clear that your metric needs work. 

Online Slateman

Mothers Day, 2017...a White Sox game with my mother, aunt and daughter.  It was a sterile environment...those in attendance were all watching a game that could have been between the Rockies and the Marlins for all the excitement they had.

Sox fans are baseball people who hate Cubs fans.  Cubs fans love the Cubs and hate everyone else...

Sox fans are civilized and loyal...Cubs fans are obnoxious and rabid.

It's clear that your metric needs work. 

Cubs fans obnoxious and rabid :lmao:

You're delusional. Cubs fans are pretentious freakboys.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
So can I. Everyone our age can.

(Without looking it up ... Fox, Aparacio, Rivera, Landis, smith, Averil  (can't remember corner infielders)  .... Wynn, Pierce (and two days of rain)

...Gary Peters, Norm Cash, Ted Kluszuski, Johnny Romano...the "original" utility man, Sammy Esposito...

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Yes...you should know as you grew up on the Northside...  :roll:

Offline Ray D

...Gary Peters, Norm Cash, Ted Kluszuski, Johnny Romano...the "original" utility man, Sammy Esposito...

If they had Cash AND Klu, who played first  base?

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
If they had Cash AND Klu, who played first  base?

I wanna say Klu was primarily a pH...

Offline hotshot

Not correct. The Sox picked up Kluszewski in Aug 1959 and that sent Cash to the bench. Cash only PH in the Series with Klu playing regularly at 1B.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Not correct. The Sox picked up Kluszewski in Aug 1959 and that sent Cash to the bench. Cash only PH in the Series with Klu playing regularly at 1B.

There ya go...thanks..

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
I sense the sarcasm here for elitist is Spider's middle name

Mathguy senses sarcasm. :crackup:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

I can probably name a blackhawks/white sox fan who is a bandwagon jumper and has hopped back and forth between teams. :stir:

Offline Ray D

The Sox picked up Kluszewski in Aug 1959

For Harry "suitcase" Simpson!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

I remember as a kid (when he was a Buc) cutting the sleeves off our tees so we could be like Klu.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Mathguy senses sarcasm. :crackup:

He's probably got a sarcasm coach.

:hysterical:

Online Slateman

Yelich traded to the Brewers for : OF Lewis Brinson, OF Monte Harrison, INF Isan Diaz and RHP Jordan Yamamoto.

Brinson was the number 18 prospect on BA
Harrison number 75
Diaz projects to a decent second baseman with average defense and some pop. Similar to Baez at the plate, but maybe more contact and walks.
Yamamoto projects to a decent reliever

Frankly, I think the Brewers overpaid a little. Anyone who thinks we're getting better than that for Harper is delusional. Hell, anyone who thinks we'd get someone like Brinson and Harrison is wrong.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Yelich traded to the Brewers for : OF Lewis Brinson, OF Monte Harrison, INF Isan Diaz and RHP Jordan Yamamoto.

Brinson was the number 18 prospect on BA
Harrison number 75
Diaz projects to a decent second baseman with average defense and some pop. Similar to Baez at the plate, but maybe more contact and walks.
Yamamoto projects to a decent reliever

Frankly, I think the Brewers overpaid a little. Anyone who thinks we're getting better than that for Harper is delusional. Hell, anyone who thinks we'd get someone like Brinson and Harrison is wrong.

Yelich probably gets you more in trade than Bryce at this point due to the 5 cheap years of control remaining.  You can't build around Bryce at this point if you get him in trade.  He is only valuable as a win-now guy.

Offline hotshot

What's wrong, from a Brewers standpoint, with a "win now" philosophy?  If I were a Milwaukee fan, I'm loving this trade. Half the experts think Brinson may turn out to be a 30/30 guy, the other half think he'll be nothing special at the major league level.

Offline Optics

Its a good trade for the Brewers. The vast majority of prospects DON'T pan out. People fall in love with them too much.

Offline rbw5t

All is very quiet on the Harper speculation front.  With how Rizzo works, maybe that means a surprise contract will be announced on the eve of spring training!

Since that is very unlikely to happen, I would LOVE to hear about a Rendon extension in the next couple of weeks.