Author Topic: Harper trade speculation (breakout from off-season thread)  (Read 37961 times)

Offline Count Walewski

The Front Office is so far not acting like they are all in for 2018. Re-signing Kintzler is not going all-in. Heck, re-signing both Kintzler and Albers would not constitute going all-in.

Offline dcpatti

The Front Office is so far not acting like they are all in for 2018. Re-signing Kintzler is not going all-in. Heck, re-signing both Kintzler and Albers would not constitute going all-in.

TBH being "all in" isn't always going to mean spending a ton of money in the winter. This year's free agent pitching market is thin and the few good choices are overpriced; and there's no need to spend a ton of money on a bench bat.  There is nothing wrong with biding your time and seeing what you can pick up at the trade deadline.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Despite quite a few injuries, a useless LFer in Jayson Werth, and a bullpen that was basically one of the worst in baseball for 70+% of the season, this team won 97 games. As constructed, right now, it can win 100+ games.

So what exactly should they do?

Offline HalfSmokes

ad a number three who isnt a guaranteed loss in a post season series

Online Slateman

ad a number three who isnt a guaranteed loss in a post season series
I don't think Max will accept being the number 4 starter in the playoffs.

Offline nfotiu

Despite quite a few injuries, a useless LFer in Jayson Werth, and a bullpen that was basically one of the worst in baseball for 70+% of the season, this team won 97 games. As constructed, right now, it can win 100+ games.

Everyone keeps saying that about Werth, but we only had one bad month of Werth and that was after they had already wrapped up the division.  He was hitting quite well until he got hurt.   I know it doesn't really change your point though.  It just bugs me a little bit because he did help us win early in the season, and there was at least a little bit of justification for Dusty thinking that he could regain his early season form with some more time.

Offline UMDNats

I think there's only a couple (delusional) people who don't realize this.

We're all in for 2018. No one may say it, but this is the final year of the window. After that, the division will be more difficult and the team will lose a substantial amount of talent that it likely won't be able to replace. Scherzer and Zimmerman will be older and we will likely see some regression. I just don't see how you can replace Murphy and Harper's bats and expect to truly compete. I mean, how many teams have lost two middle of the order bats, both of whom have finished in the top 3 of MVP voting at least once in the last three seasons?

The likelihood of the Nationals being as good as they are now at some point in the next 10-20 years is extremely low.

Exactly. We have to go for it in 2018 because, on paper, this should be the best collection of players we've ever had and will ever have for a little while.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Stanton to LA. Harper to NY. We get screwed.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2017/12/mlb_trade_rumors_yankees_flipping_giancarlo_stanto.html

If the Yanks are flipping Stanton for Harper, well, they're just stupid.

Offline HalfSmokes

Stanton still has a no trade and seems to want to play in new york

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Stanton still has a no trade and seems to want to play in new york

Stanton is from LA. Dodgers were his first choice.

Offline HalfSmokes

Stanton is from LA. Dodgers were his first choice.

I'm guessing that if he wanted to be a dodger, he would be one right now. He had the ability to force the Marlin's hand to send him anywhere and he chose new york

Online Slateman

Stanton to LA. Harper to NY. We get screwed dont spend an exorbitant amount of money to keep a player that will inhibit our ability to put together a complete team and probably end up with an extensive DL stint in most of his seasons here.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2017/12/mlb_trade_rumors_yankees_flipping_giancarlo_stanto.html

I fixed it for you :lol:

Online Slateman

I'm guessing that if he wanted to be a dodger, he would be one right now. He had the ability to force the Marlin's hand to send him anywhere and he chose new york

I'm betting that the Marlins were working deals behind the scenes before it blew up. When Stanton found out he decided to give them the ultimatum that he would decline the trade. So they asked for a list of teams he would approve. They probably logically argued that it he only gave one team, they would lose any leverage and wouldn't trade him. So he gave a list of a few.

Offline HalfSmokes

I'm betting that the Marlins were working deals behind the scenes before it blew up. When Stanton found out he decided to give them the ultimatum that he would decline the trade. So they asked for a list of teams he would approve. They probably logically argued that it he only gave one team, they would lose any leverage and wouldn't trade him. So he gave a list of a few.

They litterly couldn’t afford not to trade him. He knew it and they knew he knew it. That’s why they got crap a shot deal for him. There’s no reason to believe that his list was larger than one team, and the return makes it look like it was just one team

Online Slateman

They litterly couldn’t afford not to trade him. He knew it and they knew he knew it. That’s why they got crap a shot deal for him. There’s no reason to believe that his list was larger than one team, and the return makes it look like it was just one team
So he chose to go to the Yankees when he wanted to go to the Dodgers?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Does he own the clothing store "Stitches" or is he just the poster boy?

Offline HalfSmokes

So he chose to go to the Yankees when he wanted to go to the Dodgers?

Those rumors came about the same time the giants were finalizing a deal for him, I believe he wanted to go there about as much as I believe he wanted to be a giant

Offline Expos

Addison Russell, Albert Almora, and Mike Montgomery were all part of the package the Cubs were offering Baltimore for Manny Machado.

There goes the thoughts we wouldn't get anything of value for Harper if we offered him up.

A dynamic young infielder, a major league ready outfielder and a decent #4 or #5 starter for one year of Machado. Harper would get more IMO.

Russell a year removed from .238, 21 HR, 95 RBI
Almora .298/.338/.445
Montgomery  3.38 ERA, 130 IP, 1.209 WHIP

Online Natsinpwc

Addison Russell, Albert Almora, and Mike Montgomery were all part of the package the Cubs were offering Baltimore for Manny Machado.

There goes the thoughts we wouldn't get anything of value for Harper if we offered him up.

A dynamic young infielder, a major league ready outfielder and a decent #4 or #5 starter for one year of Machado. Harper would get more IMO.
I bet the Orioles would have taken that if it's what was offered. They probably have spread that fake news in order to force teams to up their offers. Won't work.

Offline Expos

I bet the Orioles would have taken that if it's what was offered. They probably have spread that fake news in order to force teams to up their offers. Won't work.

They didn't take it because they want 2 starting pitchers.

Online Natsinpwc

They didn't take it because they want 2 starting pitchers.
Source?

Offline Expos

Source?

Kubatko says "two starting pitchers are a necessity" in any return for Machado. Kubatko then echoes a report from Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports that the Orioles may be ready to pull their 25-year-old superstar off the trade block and try to deal him again over the summer. Machado is scheduled to become a free agent next winter and will likely be seeking a contract worth more than $300 million on the open market. He has also drawn serious interest this offseason from the Cardinals, White Sox, Yankees, Giants, Phillies, and Diamondbacks.

Rotoworld.com

Offline Expos

So hypothetical, if a team came calling offering that same package or more for Harper would you do it? We all know he is gone anyways.

I'd do it in a heartbeat and replace him by signing JD Martinez.

OF- JD Martinez
IF- Addison Russell
OF- Albert Almora
P- Mike Montgomery

Is 10x better than 1 year of Harper.