Author Topic: Harper trade speculation (breakout from off-season thread)  (Read 37091 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline dcpatti

Haven’t the Yankees been trying to move Ellsbury for like 3 years now?

Offline Slateman

Offline HalfSmokes

If you don’t live here in the offseason, and you don’t need to suck up to management, why attend?

Offline Slateman

If you don’t live here in the offseason, and you don’t need to suck up to management, why attend?
Because fans.

Legit, if you actually plan on being with the team long term, why would you not regularly show up to one of the biggest can events of year. Harper has enough money to fly in for a few days, meet fans, and fly home. If it were a priority.

Offline dcpatti

He’s doing something at the LDS temple in Salt Lake City, so if that’s what keeps him away, I won’t judge.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
He’s doing something at the LDS temple in Salt Lake City, so if that’s what keeps him away, I won’t judge.
What, the temple we have along the beltway isn't good enough for him?  :shrug:
:lol:

We can offer to bring in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir to sing the National Anthem if that means he'll sign an extension. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

He should ask Boras to renegotiate his tithing with the elders...

Offline Natsinpwc

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/scott-boras-rumors-extension-talks-on-bryce-harper-with-nationals.html

As most of us suspected Harper will likely test the market. Can't see the Nats trading him before then partially because they would not get much but also because they are likely to win the division. Why jeapordize that or reduce your chances post season? 

I also suspect Rendon will test the market. He looks happy all the time and I could see him going almost anywhere and being happy if the money is right.

Offline Natsinpwc

At least he only has one wife to support.

Offline Slateman

Figured that's what he was doing out there
At least he only has one wife to support.

So far ....

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Sadly, the rest of our division is dogcrap.  We'll have a sizable lead at the deadline so they won't trade him for anything because "we have a chance" even though we'll play like crap against the real World Series contenders in the NL.  We'll then bow-out in the NLDS (again) and Harper will be playing in New York or L.A. next year and Rizzo will be caught with his dick in his hand (again).

Should've made him a catcher.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Sadly, the rest of our division is dogcrap.  We'll have a sizable lead at the deadline so they won't trade him for anything because "we have a chance" even though we'll play like crap against the real World Series contenders in the NL.  We'll then bow-out in the NLDS (again) and Harper will be playing in New York or L.A. next year and Rizzo will be caught with his dick in his hand (again).

Should've made him a catcher.

So we should stop trying to contend because of past postseason losses? 

Offline Natsinpwc

Figured that's what he was doing out there
So far ....
They will be lining up the brides for that young stud in some of those obscure western towns. I see his own reality tv show.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
So we should stop trying to contend because of past postseason losses? 

No.  We should be actively trying to trade Harper because he's not coming back to DC.  If long-term success is what we want, trading Harper makes more sense than choking in the 2018 NLDS.

No.  We should be actively trying to trade Harper because he's not coming back to DC.  If long-term success is what we want, trading Harper makes more sense than choking in the 2018 NLDS.

Why are we more likely to choke in the 2018 NLDS than the 2019 and beyond?  What is your logic to punt this season only to try again in 2019 and beyond? 

Offline Natsinpwc

Not going to get enough to matter. That's why the BLOS haven't traded Machado yet.

Offline UMDNats

I thought there was a chance we could lock something down this offseason, but now, freak it, he's gone. We can't trade him because we'll get absolute crap in return, and because with him we can win a world series this year (but won't).

In classic DC/Nats fashion, we have a great situation that ends up blowing up in our faces and freaking us in the worst way. With our luck, he'll sign with the Phillies or Orioles or some crap and terrorize us for a decade.

Offline 3bside

Rizzo should be able to ask Boras and Harper next year for a chance to match or beat any offer.  He has a good enough history with Boras to get that, and Boras has done that before with other GMs (Cashman).  At that point, it's up to the Lerners.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I don't particularly mind not trading him if we bring in a transitional big bat for LF next year and run with Eaton in CF.  That probably would mean trading Taylor or accepting him as a 4th OF for a year.  Given we are clearing his, Murphy's, Gio's, and Madson's pay next off-season, another year over the luxury tax threshold to pay for stud LF would not be bad money.

Offline UMDNats

2019 plan:

LF - Eaton
CF - Robles
RF - ???

Luckily a decent bat in RF is pretty easy to find TBH.

I thought there was a chance we could lock something down this offseason, but now, freak it, he's gone. We can't trade him because we'll get absolute crap in return, and because with him we can win a world series this year (but won't).

In classic DC/Nats fashion, we have a great situation that ends up blowing up in our faces and freaking us in the worst way. With our luck, he'll sign with the Phillies or Orioles or some crap and terrorize us for a decade.

I get we've been disappointed, but man some of you look at the absolute worst case scenario for everything.  We can win a World Series in 2018, and we have no idea the chances of resigning Harper.  Everybody assumed Strasburg would walk.  Yes, it's possible we don't win the World Series and Harper signs elsewhere.  It's also possible we do win it and then he leaves.  Or we don't win it but he resigns and he wins one down the line.  Let's not assume the worst.

2019 plan:

LF - Eaton
CF - Robles
RF - ???

Luckily a decent bat in RF is pretty easy to find TBH.

What's wrong with LF Eaton, CF MAT, RF Robles?  Or LF Eaton, CF Robles, RF Soto?