Author Topic: Harper trade speculation (breakout from off-season thread)  (Read 37104 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Not an insignificant concern.

Absolutely.  When I played first in baseball, I was never in a hurry to get back to the dugout.  Priorities can change, man.

Offline nfotiu

I saw this quote in an espn article today
Steinbrenner reiterated the Yankees' desire to come in under the $197 million threshold in 2018. That objective casts significant doubt on the team's willingness to play at the high end of the free-agent market.

"It's absolutely a goal of mine -- to be under,'' Steinbrenner said. "And I believe it's very attainable.

"I've been saying you can have a world championship caliber team and not have a $200 million-plus payroll. We're finally getting to a point where that's coming true for us. We've got a lot of good young players on our team and we made it to Game 7 of the ALCS, and we've got a lot of good ones coming. I think that flexibility -- it's going to be a reality for us to do that and still field the kind of team that our fans demand.'

I think that the Yankees are pretty much out of the Harper conversation, especially with the emergence of Judge.   The Dodgers are probably too deep into the luxury tax to go for Harper.   If neither of those teams are serious bidders, does Harper even get more than Stanton's contract in free agency?  Maybe there is a possibility that he hits free agency but still signs here.

Offline HalfSmokes

I saw this quote in an espn article today
I think that the Yankees are pretty much out of the Harper conversation, especially with the emergence of Judge.   The Dodgers are probably too deep into the luxury tax to go for Harper.   If neither of those teams are serious bidders, does Harper even get more than Stanton's contract in free agency?  Maybe there is a possibility that he hits free agency but still signs here.

The angels do stupid things, his free agency is close to when philly should get competitive- maybe they bid, the cubs have cash, same with the Red Sox.

Offline nfotiu

The angels do stupid things, his free agency is close to when philly should get competitive- maybe they bid, the cubs have cash, same with the Red Sox.

Red Sox and Cubs might be players at a 300 million payroll.  Neither of them seem like teams that would give out 400 million contracts.  I can't see Harper going to Phillie unless the money was too good.  I think you're right about the Angels being a bit of a wild card.   I'd love to know what Harper would be asking for this winter, what the Nats are willing to offer, and what he'd truly get in free agency.   I suspect he'd not get nearly as much as he and Boras think he would.

Offline Ray D

I suspect he'd not get nearly as much as he and Boras think he would.
Harper could save himself alot of embarrassment by signing an extension (saying, this is really where he wants to be).  I agree, he isn't going to get anywhere near the figures that get thrown around.  $400 million?  A team looking rationally at this might figure he's worth $30M/year, 7 years max.  $210M (like Scherzer).  Nationals would do that deal, right now. So why not just do it?  Better than testing free agency looking for that $400m and embarrassing himself by settling for $210M after all.

Offline nfotiu

Harper could save himself alot of embarrassment by signing an extension (saying, this is really where he wants to be).  I agree, he isn't going to get anywhere near the figures that get thrown around.  $400 million?  A team looking rationally at this might figure he's worth $30M/year, 7 years max.  $210M (like Scherzer).  Nationals would do that deal, right now. So why not just do it?  Better than testing free agency looking for that $400m and embarrassing himself by settling for $210M after all.
I wonder how much that first base injury got in his head.  If it was me, I'd definitely be concerned that a torn ACL in spring training could cost me a couple hundred million dollars.   Taking 200-250 now for security, and get some opt outs is something I would definitely consider in his shoes.

Offline Ray D

I wonder how much that first base injury got in his head.  If it was me, I'd definitely be concerned that a torn ACL in spring training could cost me a couple hundred million dollars.   Taking 200-250 now for security, and get some opt outs is something I would definitely consider in his shoes.
I heard Boras asked recently about a Harper extension and he answered "that's up to the Nationals".  Interesting answer, because he usually says something like "that's up to Harper".  Makes me wonder if something is in the works.

Offline DPMOmaha

I heard Boras asked recently about a Harper extension and he answered "that's up to the Nationals".  Interesting answer, because he usually says something like "that's up to Harper".  Makes me wonder if something is in the works.
The context made it sound like it would be up to the Nats if they wanted to discuss it, not that there was something they were waiting to hear back from the Nats about.

Offline HalfSmokes

Maybe there’s a buy it now price

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Maybe there’s a buy it now price

They're trying to figure out how best to defer $300MM...

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Because even with the "embarrassment", it's a lock Bryce Harper would get more than 210 million in free agency. The bargain basement contract would be more than Stanton's.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

500 bucks a week for 600,000 weeks.   Do it Rizzo!

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
500 bucks a week for 600,000 weeks.   Do it Rizzo!

:lmao:

Offline aBaltoNat

Harper is really pissing me off on Instagram. So damn annoying.

Online Slateman

Harper is really pissing me off on Instagram. So damn annoying.
Que?

Offline RiotAct

Que?
apparently he listens to the Imagine Dragons... that would annoy the heck out of me, as well.

Online Slateman

All I see him doing is collages

Offline aBaltoNat

All I see him doing is collages

Yes. He's freaking up my feed with posts of backdrops or In and Out burger.

Online Slateman

Yes. He's freaking up my feed with posts of backdrops or In and Out burger.

Offline LoveAngelos

I'd be happy to hold it for him

Offline More of #34

This subject depresses me.  Just sign him.

Offline aBaltoNat

Bastard just did it again. About to unfollow the Cubs/Yankees/Dodger fan.

Offline UMDNats

https://wtop.com/sports-columns/2017/12/bryce-harper-will-re-sign-washington-nationals/

:lmao:

Sportswriters are such freaking idiots. DC definitely is the only city with a food scene! New york, chicago, and la are envious! lock him up boys

He’s a foodie. He doesn’t strike me as someone who eats to live, but rather lives to eat. Why else would someone start their own food blog? The D.C. restaurant scene is burgeoning. This year, two more area restaurants received Michelin stars, joining the eight others already deemed star-worthy. Oh, and let’s not forget the three restaurants that boast two-star status!

Online Slateman

The DC food seen is pretty meh unless you're freaking rich (which, obviously, he is). It certainly is not identified as a food town.