Author Topic: Harper trade speculation (breakout from off-season thread)  (Read 37670 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
2019 plan:

LF - Eaton
CF - Robles
RF - ???
Profit?

Offline nats4ever

I thought there was a chance we could lock something down this offseason, but now, freak it, he's gone. We can't trade him because we'll get absolute crap in return, and because with him we can win a world series this year (but won't).

In classic DC/Nats fashion, we have a great situation that ends up blowing up in our faces and freaking us in the worst way. With our luck, he'll sign with the Phillies or Orioles or some crap and terrorize us for a decade.
Sign with Orioles, do you follow baseball? They are not signing him.

Offline dcpatti

Zim thinks Bryce has earned the right to test the FA market but isn’t so sure Bryce  actually will leave

http://www.nvdaily.com/sports/local-sports/2017/12/nats-zimmerman-visits-winchester-to-promote-zims-foundation/

“Like I said, it’s his right if he wants to, to go out and obviously play wherever he wants and get as much money as he can. But I think he would love to stay here and play. He loves this organization. He loves his teammates. … Everyone seems really sure that he’s gonna leave. I’m not so sure. I think he kind of likes it here.”

Offline Truconfidence

Zim thinks Bryce has earned the right to test the FA market but isn’t so sure Bryce  actually will leave

http://www.nvdaily.com/sports/local-sports/2017/12/nats-zimmerman-visits-winchester-to-promote-zims-foundation/

“Like I said, it’s his right if he wants to, to go out and obviously play wherever he wants and get as much money as he can. But I think he would love to stay here and play. He loves this organization. He loves his teammates. … Everyone seems really sure that he’s gonna leave. I’m not so sure. I think he kind of likes it here.”

Wonder if he and Trea will get a house again for Spring training. The instagram stories of the double dates and their girlfriend/wife bonding gave me hope.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I share him with you for more than 9 months out of the year. I think on our first WEDDING anniversary it’s fair i get him to myself. Our marriage will always come first. If you don’t like it, learn to get over it 🤷🏻‍♀️
https://twitter.com/kayyharper8/with_replies

(1) adj - situation whereupon a male is undeniably at the mercy of his high-maintinence girlfriend & answers to her every beck and call, usually followed by the reprioritizing of girlfriend over friends, family, school, food, water, and air.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wussy%20whipped

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Why would she even respond? Nothing good can come from it. That being said, that excuse doesn’t ring as true, when this is the third one he’s missed. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Because they're dopey young adults.

Why would she even respond? Nothing good can come from it.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

Offline dcpatti

Why would she even respond? Nothing good can come from it. That being said, that excuse doesn’t ring as true, when this is the third one he’s missed.

To be fair, the last one, he was getting married....

It’s bad enough that players only get 3 days’ paternity leave, and that many players and their wives/girlfriends plan their pregnancies around an off-season delivery, but some women end up having labor induced so the baby will come around the All Star Break, buying Pops almost a whole week off.  If you want to call him “whipped” for making his first anniversary a priority when *that* is what waits ahead for his wife, then we are going to need a big fat middle finger emoji.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
To be fair, the last one, he was getting married....

It’s bad enough that players only get 3 days’ paternity leave, and that many players and their wives/girlfriends plan their pregnancies around an off-season delivery, but some women end up having labor induced so the baby will come around the All Star Break, buying Pops almost a whole week off.  If you want to call him “whipped” for making his first anniversary a priority when *that* is what waits ahead for his wife, then we are going to need a big fat middle finger emoji.

Yeah. I guess I forgot about that. I generally don’t care that much, but many, many folks have to arrange their personal lives around their jobs and get paid far less than baseball players. I’m on the fence on this one.

Offline dcpatti

Yeah. I guess I forgot about that. I generally don’t care that much, but many, many folks have to arrange their personal lives around their jobs and get paid far less than baseball players. I’m on the fence on this one.

There’s not many careers that are this demanding, though. It’s 7 months of no real days off and a ton of travel. They get paid a lot, sure, but the window to earn is fairly short, and most of them make league minimum. Most of them do not end up with zillions in the bank. They’re just gone for 7 months. It’s  a tremendous sacrifice for a spouse/partner to have to make (even without the insanity of having to micro-manage pregnancies), and it’s crappy to attack a wife who wants to spend her anniversary with her husband. It’s petty and mean.

if teams are not writing their fan fests into their contracts, then the players are doing them as favors (the fact that some actually enjoy it, or have personal motives like promoting their own charities, doesn’t change that) and it’s just crappy of anyone to throw a fit when someone declines to do them a favor.  And that’s just any player, not a mega super star like Bryce, who would be mobbed for the whole event and still get criticized because one kid left without an autograph.  I don’t blame him (or any of the other guys who didn’t go) for not taking part and I don’t see why there’s such a tizzy over it.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Definitely not in a tizzy, like I said, I was torn. I just noticed lots of kids disappointed when they learned there was no Bryce.
And attacking his wife was stupid, I agree. People on the internet are dumb. Beyond dumb. Responding wasn’t the brightest idea either. Just ignore the dummies.
I guess I just think it’s not that big a deal because I’ve missed anniversaries, major life events and had to rearrange my life for my profession. It’s pretty demanding too and I make far less than the MLB minimum.

In general, I agree with you though.

Offline dcpatti

To be fair, the “whipped” bullcrap set me off— I still believe every word I wrote, but I might have toned it down a hair otherwise. Calling a man “whipped” is such a bullcrap chauvinistic thing.

PS why are Zimmerman, Madson, Gio and the other guys who didn’t turn up not getting the same vitriolic treatment?  Sounds like a whole lot of artificial drama if you ask me.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
To be fair, the “whipped” bullcrap set me off— I still believe every word I wrote, but I might have toned it down a hair otherwise. Calling a man “whipped” is such a bullcrap chauvinistic thing.

On this, we completely agree. As if it’s somehow not manly for a guy to care if his wife is happy. But I do understand disappointment that he wasn’t there. Especially the kids who idolize him.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

PS why are Zimmerman, Madson, Gio and the other guys who didn’t turn up not getting the same vitriolic treatment?  Sounds like a whole lot of artificial drama if you ask me.

Honestly, I don’t think people care as much. For better or worse, nats fandom revolves around Bryce. And I don’t know how many those guys have missed in past. This being my first.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

I'm guessing it's because their wives didn't take the issue to social media...and in a pretty nasty fashion. 

She makes it sound like she's a victim...

As for Zimmerman...he's never gone out of his way for the fans...I guess they are used to it by now.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I'm guessing it's because their wives didn't take the issue to social media...and in a pretty nasty fashion. 

As for Zimmerman...he's never gone out of his way for the fans...I guess they are used to it by now.

All of this is correct. She's screwing around with his job in his contract walk year. Teams use these events to sell ticket packages, they take them seriously. Pretty much exactly the dictionary definition.

Those other guys haven't missed three of the past four years. Gio in particular gets a pass for being fan friendly. There has been a core group of vets on this team with reputations for big timing fans, one is gone, the other ones will be out soon enough. I wouldn't care if they won a game 5 on occasion, but they haven't.

Offline dcpatti

That comment is not that big a deal in the context of all the comments going on yesterday and the way a few bloggers and tweeters took to stir up crap.  It’s no surprise that half these guys refuse to go on social media at all. People are crappy, and when the target of our craptiness responds appropriately, we use it as proof that we were right to act crappy to them.  The only thing Kayla Harper did wrong was check in on Twitter, the notorious cesspool of the internet.

All of this is correct. She's screwing around with his job in his contract walk year. Teams use these events to sell ticket packages, they take them seriously. Pretty much exactly the dictionary definition.

Those other guys haven't missed three of the past four years. Gio in particular gets a pass for being fan friendly. There has been a core group of vets on this team with reputations for big timing fans, one is gone, the other ones will be out soon enough. I wouldn't care if they won a game 5 on occasion, but they haven't.

Don’t be silly. This is the team that brought back Jonathan Papelbon for half a season after a very public, very shocking display of poor sportsmanship directed at the fan favorite. That didn’t kill ticket sales, so Harper not showing up at winterfest isn’t even a thing unless you make it be one. It’s totally okay to be disappointed but it’s not okay to incite others to feeling hostile and mad.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
That comment is not that big a deal in the context of all the comments going on yesterday and the way a few bloggers and tweeters took to stir up crap.

I'd only say that it was unnecessary.  If it was a few bloggers...why bother?  Is she going to buy a commercial spot every time someone on MLB Network says something bad about hubby?

It's part of the price these people pay for their gig.  She should learn to deal with it...or let Royce deal with it...or not...

Hope she's not a WNFF lurker.  Her head would explode...

BTW - I don't care one way or another who goes to Winterfest...never been to one, so no skin off my nose either way...

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I'd only say that it was unnecessary.  If it was a few bloggers...why bother?  Is she going to buy a commercial spot every time someone on MLB Network says something bad about hubby?

It's part of the price these people pay for their gig.  She should learn to deal with it...or let Royce deal with it...or not...

Hope she's not a WNFF lurker.  Her head would explode...

She was replying to someone who tagged her on Twitter, I didn't have a problem with the original comment, but no reason to direct the message about Harper's decision to skip the fan fest at her. That being said, I would not be too surprised if she is reading the Harper threads on WNFF, being a baseball wife gives her a lot of free time and she's obviously online quite a bit.

The whole anniversary thing seems like a convenient excuse for Bryce, it's not like he's working Monday through Friday. How many of us plan our anniversaries and birthdays around the weekends? They could have just as easily gone out to dinner a couple days early or a couple days later. Harp didn't want to attend, that's the bottom line.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
She was replying to someone who tagged her on Twitter...

In that case, she was too easy on them...  :twisted:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
In that case, she was too easy on them...  :twisted:

Well, it wasn't a very inflammatory comment, basically saying that if Martinez could fly in so could Harper.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Well, it wasn't a very inflammatory comment, basically saying that if Martinez could fly in so could Harper.

I think she was saying "Get out of my face"...which should be understood, but Twitter dumbasses will dumbass...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

First, let me congratulate you for the precision trolling.  Second, give me a break about Bryce not being fan-friendly.  This guy is known for signing autographs, giving balls to kids, and doing all sorts of things that are, in your words, "fan friendly."  He is the image of the team, the true "face," at least for another year.  I love RZ, but you just don't see #11 jerseys selling like #34.  The team doesn't model #11, or even #31 or #6, on its alternates when they unveil them.  Finally, as for "screwing around with his job in his contract walk year," if you think for a second that this will impact whether the Nats bring him back, then you must think the Nats have no baseball judgment. 

Oh, and as for calling him a derisive name that is based on a nickname for female genitalia, grow up.