Author Topic: Harper trade speculation (breakout from off-season thread)  (Read 37625 times)

Offline NJ Ave

Yes, but the way that contract is weighted, I wouldn't expect him to opt out.  Do you expect him to be in a position to get 7/218 (counting the buyout of the 8th year) as a 32 year old?  That's pretty close to Pujols-level bad in terms of contracts for 32-year-old MVP-level hitters.

It doesn't really matter if you *expect* him to opt out. If it was all guaranteed with no opt outs, how would that be any better? At least currently, there's a chance that he opts out. 7/$218 million will be what he's owed, heading into his age-31 season. I think there's probably a small chance he opts out, say 20%.

But it any case, my point was that people tend to see player opt-outs as a bad thing, but I really have never gotten that logic. So what if all the years are guaranteed if something goes "wrong". That's no different than a contract that has no opt outs. And if the player actually does opt out, you very likely just got him at a below market value level for the number of years you got him.