Author Topic: PB69 presents "Fire Dave Martinez" (2017)  (Read 216221 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
PB69 presents "Fire Dave Martinez" (2017)
« Topic Start: October 28, 2017, 07:09:08 PM »
PB69 presents "Fire Dave Martinez" index:

2017 - https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=35905.0
2018 - https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=38114.0
2019 - https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=38115.0

Hate this hire. Baker was respected in the clubhouse, no one is going to give a crap about nobody Dave Martinez. Good luck to him trying to manage guys like Harper, Scherzer, and Strasburg. The Nats might still win the East if everyone else still stinks, but doubtful they win 90 games.

Hopefully his contract is just two years.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: Fire Dave Martinez - Lilliquist scapegoated
« Reply #1: October 28, 2017, 07:12:09 PM »
Here's his wiki entry under Coaching Career:

Martinez worked for the Tampa Bay Rays as a spring training instructor in 2006 and 2007.[4][47][48] On October 11, 2007, he was hired by the Tampa Bay Rays to be their bench coach. As the Rays' bench coach, Martinez was in charge of defensive positioning, and worked with the Rays' players on bunting and baserunning.[5]

Martinez interviewed for managerial positions with Toronto in the 2010 offseason[49] and the Cleveland Indians.[5] During the 2011 offseason, Martinez interviewed for White Sox' managerial position.[50][51] The White Sox hired Robin Ventura. After the 2012 season, Martinez was considered for the Astros' managerial position, which went to Bo Porter.[52] During the 2013 offseason, Martinez interviewed for Cubs' managerial position,[53] which went to Rick Renteria, and the Washington Nationals' managerial position,[54] which went to Matt Williams.

Rays' manager Joe Maddon opted out of his contract with Tampa Bay after the 2014 season. The Rays sought feedback from their players on who should manage the team. Evan Longoria, Alex Cobb, and Ben Zobrist endorsed Martinez.[55] Martinez interviewed for the position, but was not among the Rays' three finalists.[56] Martinez announced his intention to leave the Rays.[57] On December 4, he was hired to serve as the bench coach for the Cubs under Maddon.[58] In 2016, Martinez was part of the Cubs' coaching staff that led the team to winning the 2016 World Series, breaking a 108-year long drought.

At least he has a lot of experience interviewing, which will help him in 2019.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #2: October 28, 2017, 07:15:28 PM »
Wonder who Rizzo will pick to fill out the staff, no chance Martinez is making the hires.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #3: October 28, 2017, 07:51:34 PM »
Only way this hire makes sense is less money for the Lerners, at most a million a year like with Williams, most they'd give a first year manager who has been passed over by half league. For Rizzo, it's a guy he can control, someone who won't push back on line ups or rotations.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #4: October 28, 2017, 08:12:13 PM »
Precision trolling.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #5: October 28, 2017, 09:29:06 PM »
Here's his wiki entry under Coaching Career:

At least he has a lot of experience interviewing, which will help him in 2019.

So Everyone he lost out to failed miserably. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #6: October 28, 2017, 10:30:26 PM »
Honestly, if the "stars" won't "respect" him, then get rid of them. They've failed for six seasons to accomplish anything in DC.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #7: October 28, 2017, 10:50:14 PM »
Honestly, if the "stars" won't "respect" him, then get rid of them. They've failed for six seasons to accomplish anything in DC.

Exactly.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #8: October 28, 2017, 11:10:22 PM »
So Everyone he lost out to failed miserably. 

Their performance is hardly relevant to Martinez's value,unless your point is that he only got brought in to interview for crap jobs.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #9: October 28, 2017, 11:15:09 PM »

I'm with you. Gotta keep our big three starters, they're too hard to replace, I'd also keep Murphy as he's probably a better hitting coach than anyone the Nats could hire. The big moves I'd make are to trade Harper before he leaves and Zimmerman before he turns back into a pumpkin. Ryan had a higher OPS than every DH last year, someone will take him off our hands. With Werth gone and those guys on his heels maybe Martinez would have a shot.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #10: October 28, 2017, 11:22:38 PM »
I'm with you. Gotta keep our big three starters, they're too hard to replace,
No, we don't.

Dusty failed. Flat out he failed. And the team that supposedly liked him hit .186.

So freak them. They're paid to play. They can do their job and get behind their new manager or relinquish their contract and GTFO.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #11: October 28, 2017, 11:26:42 PM »
No, we don't.

Dusty failed. Flat out he failed. And the team that supposedly liked him hit .186.

So freak them. They're paid to play. They can do their job and get behind their new manager or relinquish their contract and GTFO.

Relinquish their contracts? Not a bad plan.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #12: October 29, 2017, 07:50:19 AM »
No, we don't.

This is kind of my feeling too.  Screw the players at this point.  They are who they are - talented but lacking a clutch gene in October.  It's on them that Dusty isn't here anymore. 

Offline hotshot

« Reply #13: October 29, 2017, 09:30:45 AM »
Seems a fluke these days when any team hits the others' starting pitching. Look at last night, Astros no-hit into the 6th by Alex Wood, Dodgers 2 hit by Morton over 6 innings. Runs come in bunches off relievers. Not so different from Nats performance.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #14: October 29, 2017, 09:41:29 AM »

Hopefully his contract is just two years.
Hopefully the haven't settled on terms and the contract on the table will be one year, one million, and he'll say no thanks. Seriously, we'd all have been happy with Black two years ago (and he probably would have won two NLDS series by now) he's a legitimate manager.  Why the freak should we offer this clown more than we offered Bud Black.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #15: October 29, 2017, 09:43:23 AM »
This is kind of my feeling too.  Screw the players at this point.  They are who they are - talented but lacking a clutch gene in October.  It's on them that Dusty isn't here anymore. 
I've lost the theme of this (sub) thread.  I though the alleged key attribute was that he's a player's manager. Yet we seem now to be arguing that he will not get the respect of the players.  Which is it?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #16: October 29, 2017, 10:28:08 AM »
Best possible hire. I'm just mad they let Maddux walk. Yeah, the new manager should pick his team or whatever, but literally every manager in MLB would pick either Maddux or the Pirates guy.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #17: October 29, 2017, 10:35:07 AM »
Best possible hire. I'm just mad they let Maddux walk. Yeah, the new manager should pick his team or whatever, but literally every manager in MLB would pick either Maddux or the Pirates guy.

Seriously can we just send all our pitchers to the Pirates till like July and act like it’s summer camp?

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #18: October 29, 2017, 10:36:51 AM »
So is the "old school" crowd really that butthurt over DMart? Look at where the sport is trending. Young, SABR oriented managers who relate with players. It has taken time for most teams to go this way, but DMart comes in with high praise from players and other coaches. I don't see this as a bad hire at all.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #19: October 29, 2017, 10:53:15 AM »
I've lost the theme of this (sub) thread.  I though the alleged key attribute was that he's a player's manager. Yet we seem now to be arguing that he will not get the respect of the players.  Which is it?

Great question, the issue isn't whether Martinez is a player's manager, it's a FO issue that has established that players are valued and managers are not, so the core group of guys in the clubhouse know that the manager has no true authority. Only way this team is going to overcome that history is to clean house with some of the long term guys and to bring in a manager with a four year contract. Neither of those things will happen, so Martinez will be put through the grinder, discarded in two years and the carousel will continue to spin.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #20: October 29, 2017, 11:20:10 AM »
Janes has confirmed the deal. Three years.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #21: October 29, 2017, 11:20:15 AM »
Three year deal with an option for a 4th.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #22: October 29, 2017, 11:24:04 AM »
Jesus, I wasn't expecting so much negativity around this hire. Dave Martinez helped the Devil Rays get to the World Series and the Cubs win the World Series - surely he could get the Nationals to the NLCS.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #23: October 29, 2017, 11:25:22 AM »
So is the "old school" crowd really that butthurt over DMart? Look at where the sport is trending. Young, SABR oriented managers who relate with players. It has taken time for most teams to go this way, but DMart comes in with high praise from players and other coaches. I don't see this as a bad hire at all.

I have no beef with the man...he may be a great hire, and I wish him the best. 

It's not a stretch to say that the ONLY reason he was hired is because he was cheap.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #24: October 29, 2017, 11:38:48 AM »
I have no beef with the man...he may be a great hire, and I wish him the best. 

It's not a stretch to say that the ONLY reason he was hired is because he was cheap.

What do you think the two managers in the WAS make a year? Dave Roberts is a first time manager and Hinch didn't exactly blow anyone away in Arizona his first time around. I'd guess that they don't make tons of money, but after their contracts are up, they would stand to make more.

Gotta start somewhere to get to the top.