Author Topic: Get Well Dave Martinez - Stay in the Fight - Magic Number 10  (Read 154454 times)

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
Bad April, bad May, good June, good July, good August, let's see how September goes before declaring Martinez a MOY contender, so far not so good.
It's too late to fire him now.  But no way is he MOY.   

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
It's too late to fire him now.  But no way is he MOY.   

Dusty Baker gave the Lerners five home playoff games and two years and got fired. It's far from too late to crapcan Martinez but I agree that it won't happen. The reason he won't get fired is because he's been the perfect company man. Baker was sunk the minute he publicly mentioned a contract extension in spring 2017.

Offline Duke of Earl

Baker was sunk the minute he publicly mentioned a contract extension in spring 2017.
Baker was sunk the minute he publicly mentioned mold in Chicago.

Offline tzinc

when you look at the number of games his mistakes cost us just go back in this thread for numerous examples of his screw ups talk of MOY is  :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Offline aspenbubba

when you look at the number of games his mistakes cost us just go back in this thread for numerous examples of his screw ups talk of MOY is  :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Oh the Rusty Baker apologist is back

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
The whole world saw that coming except the one man in position to make a switch.

Offline Slateman

The whole world saw that coming except the one man in position to make a switch.
Yea, should have gone to that lockdown bullpen :roll:

Online tenken627

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Martinez has gotten better in his press conferences, he's not completely dependent on clichés and analyzes the game. But his stay calm style is going to be tested, getting to be time to tip over the Gatorade table, question is whether he can motivate the team after being a nice guy for so long.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Martinez has gotten better in his press conferences, he's not completely dependent on clichés and analyzes the game. But his stay calm style is going to be tested, getting to be time to tip over the Gatorade table, question is whether he can motivate the team after being a nice guy for so long.

Tipping over the Gatorade table is for football coaches. Kicking a bucket of baseballs is what baseball managers do.

Offline Slateman

Except that multiple players in different interviews have said that NOT doing this behavior when things were bad was what led to them going on a run.

Offline Duke of Earl

Except that multiple players in different interviews have said that NOT doing this behavior when things were bad was what led to them going on a run.
Big difference between motivating a football team at halftime to play better in the second half when the second half is 5 minutes away, than trying to motivate baseball players to play better when the motivation might take immediate effect but the next game isn't for 24 hours and the motivation will have worn off.

Online tenken627

The team was bound to cool off, especially after running red hot for so long. Just need to get into the wild card game.

Now in the one game wild card, anything can happen. And if luck does favor us and we get past it, it could springboard us with momentum again.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Tipping over the Gatorade table is for football coaches. Kicking a bucket of baseballs is what baseball managers do.

Sure, the question is can he ratchet up the urgency now that it's needed. He's never come off as the slightest bit confrontational.

Offline bluestreak

Sure, the question is can he ratchet up the urgency now that it's needed. He's never come off as the slightest bit confrontational.

Does this actually work with professional athletes?

Offline UMDNats

No, but fans think it does because managers flipped out in the 70s and everything was just BETTER back then.

Offline dracnal

I really doubt it's useful in baseball. In football, there's a different mentality and it's about stoking aggression and adrenaline. Pumping a team up at half time can definitely have an effect on the team. As someone (I forget who) noted, when it's 20 hours to the next game, it's just kind of 'Man... skip's a dick.'

*edit: Duke of Earl is the poster I couldn't remember, but who I agree with.

Online tenken627

No, but fans think it does because managers flipped out in the 70s and everything was just BETTER back then.

MAGA = MAKE ATHLETES GREAT AGAIN

Offline Count Walewski

If I got called out on a pitch I thought was a ball, I'd probably feel better if my manager got angry about it than if my manager continued to sit there and meditate on the bench.

Conversely, if I didn't run out a ground ball, I'd probably feel better if my manager sat there and meditated on the bench than if my manager got angry about it.

Offline nfotiu

• Juan Soto aka Human Wildcat
I really doubt it's useful in baseball. In football, there's a different mentality and it's about stoking aggression and adrenaline. Pumping a team up at half time can definitely have an effect on the team. As someone (I forget who) noted, when it's 20 hours to the next game, it's just kind of 'Man... skip's a dick.'

*edit: Duke of Earl is the poster I couldn't remember, but who I agree with.
I always think baseball is a lot more like golf.  Trying harder is not really what you need.  A baseball manager's job in terms of motivation is to keep them relaxed, focused, confident and prepared.

If I had a coach following me around while I golfed throwing tables and yelling at me every time I sliced one into the trees or missed a putt, I know that's not going to help me play better.

Offline UMDNats

I always think baseball is a lot more like golf.  Trying harder is not really what you need.  A baseball manager's job in terms of motivation is to keep them relaxed, focused, confident and prepared.

If I had a coach following me around while I golfed throwing tables and yelling at me every time I sliced one into the trees or missed a putt, I know that's not going to help me play better.

You're just weak and not a REAL athlete. You know who was a REAL athlete? John Rocker. Guy actually gave a freak. Players these days are too soft.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
You're just weak and not a REAL athlete. You know who was a REAL athlete? John Rocker. Guy actually gave a freak. Players these days are too soft.

And there are way too many foreigners playing baseball.

Offline Duke of Earl

And there are way to many foreigners playing baseball.
White man's game.

Offline djbaseball13

The team was bound to cool off, especially after running red hot for so long. Just need to get into the wild card game.

Now in the one game wild card, anything can happen. And if luck does favor us and we get past it, it could springboard us with momentum again.

Also, the Braves are bound to cool off too. Maybe we'll turn things around and get hot heading into Oct. If we make it past the WC game, we are going to have to rely HEAVILY on starting pitching! If all 4 are healthy, then we have a great shot! They can rest in November... 

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter

Pressure works on everyone, pro athletes included.