Author Topic: Fire Dave Martinez - Magic Numbers 5/8  (Read 155185 times)

Greg_SRT and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Greg_SRT

• Don't give up
Martinez is a crap manager, no tangents you take or manifestos you put forward can change that.

He thought up the idea about Cabbage

Will you at least give him that?

Offline UMDNats

Martinez single-handedly won today's game. Great job. :clap:

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
Davey will likely improve over time.  Dusty had a high floor and a low ceiling.  He's where he should be now - retired.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Davey will likely improve over time.

Not sure that's a guarantee.  Stupid is as stupid does.  Manny Acta had two managerial opportunities and like 5 years as a manager and apparently all he learned was how to piss off Mariners fans in a single night.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way

He left after the third inning.     Returned for the post game conference.   His twin Ike was in the dugout.     :poke:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Dave looks better in his presser in the face of defeat as compared to the first week.

Offline Air Desmond

89-87 as a manger.

7-7 this season.

The body of work speaks for itself. Fire Davey or accept your fate as a .500 team.

Offline Slateman

89-87 as a manger.

7-7 this season.

The body of work speaks for itself. Fire Davey or accept your fate as a .500 team.

Its laughable you think another manager is going to change that record.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

I'm not a huge fan of Martinez, but if we had just an average bullpen we'd be 10-4 at least. 

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
For what it's worth, the Nats' Pythagorean record is not good again so far this season. .500 record with an eleven run differential. Some would say that the manager is not squeezing out full benefit of his team's production.

Fans have to stop letting Lilliquist off the hook for the bullpen woes. Bullpen has really fallen off a cliff since Maddux was here. 

I'm not a huge fan of Martinez, but if we had just an average bullpen we'd be 10-4 at least.

This.

Offline tzinc

This.
Dusty had a worse BP for half a season and had the team in first place

Btw Phillies and Mets BPs have been bad as well

Offline Slateman

Again, Dusty had four dudes OPSing over .900 in the lineup, along with a bench bat that was OPSing well over .800 AND the rest of the division was fodder.

And literally no bullpen is as bad as the Nationals

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Martinez is a fine manager, he just needs a roster with no holes in order to properly run his ballclub.

Offline Slateman

So like every other manager

Offline tomwvr

89-87 as a manger.

7-7 this season.

100% correct

What Slate said.

Dusty didn't have a bullpen with an ERA anywhere close to being over 7 and a half nor did he have to deal with a competitive division.

Plus Dusty also had a really good pitching coach in Maddux and a solid hitting coach in Schu. Davey's coaching staff isn't anything to write home about.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Plus Dusty also had a really good pitching coach in Maddux and a solid hitting coach in Schu. Davey's coaching staff isn't anything to write home about.

Martinez gets a pass because his staff is deficient? Isn't it the responsibility of the manager to build a staff? I'd almost give him a pass last year but he certainly could have made changes this year.

Offline aspenbubba

Martinez gets a pass because his staff is deficient? Isn't it the responsibility of the manager to build a staff? I'd almost give him a pass last year but he certainly could have made changes this year.
Not the managerrs job to build a staff. It is the GM . All he can do is whine about no arms.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Fans have to stop letting Lilliquist off the hook for the bullpen woes. Bullpen has really fallen off a cliff since Maddux was here. 

I'm not sure how fans can properly judge individual members of the coaching staff but I'll agree that Lilliquist appears to be a downgrade from Maddux. Since his fate is almost certainly tied to Martinez, I'll make this Lilliquist week on the Fire Martinez thread. Dig up old articles good and bad to find out what his old players thought of him and how his style compares and contrasts to other hitting coaches.

Offline Slateman

Maddux was rather overrated. Hes done jack crap in St. Louis.

Offline rileyn

Davey's best contribution so far was his cheerleading effort for the Caps run the Stanley Cup.  Last year he parlayed the hockey teams success into a nice little bump for the Nats, but literally as soon as the Caps won the Cup, our season cratered.  He had no bits to fall back on.  I say keep him around until the Caps get eliminated and then cut him loose.  Lilliquist can be gone today.

Offline miller10

Davey's best contribution so far was his cheerleading effort for the Caps run the Stanley Cup.  Last year he parlayed the hockey teams success into a nice little bump for the Nats, but literally as soon as the Caps won the Cup, our season cratered.  He had no bits to fall back on.  I say keep him around until the Caps get eliminated WIN THE CUP and then cut him loose.  Lilliquist can be gone today.

Fixed that for you.

Offline rileyn

Fixed that for you.
Thank you.  Good catch.