Author Topic: Fire Dave Martinez - Magic Numbers 4/8  (Read 155555 times)

Online Slateman

Under no circumstances did it make sense to warm Sipp with Doolittle, there was no alternative where Sipp pitches. Maybe use Barrclough for the first two hitters, but routinely using multiple relievers per inning is why Martinez is grinding through his pen so fast.

Literally explained what happened.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Most teams are struggling with their bullpens. Just look at the Phillies last night and in previous games.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/128

Irrelevant to whether we could be doing better. Particularly when we have our starters with high pitch counts and then still grind through the pen on a regular basis

Online UMDNats

"I don't care what you said. It is a fact in my mind."

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter

You put together blocks of text, wasn't as convincing as O'Hara's article.

Offline Natsinpwc

Irrelevant to whether we could be doing better. Particularly when we have our starters with high pitch counts and then still grind through the pen on a regular basis
Same things are happening with other teams because starters cannot go enough innings and the hitters have caught up to the relievers. The average NL bullpen ERA is 4.99. There aren’t effective relievers out there. They have one in the pen now they can’t use.

Online UMDNats

You put together blocks of text, wasn't as convincing as O'Hara's article.

His "article" was just blocks of text on a white background, no different than Slate's post. :lmao:

Incredible the mental gymnastics you go through to find a way to blame Martinez for everything. Can't wait for you to share an article that is just a Apple Notes app paragraph about how Dave Martinez is actually responsible for the MASN dispute.

Offline rileyn

Situation changed. Plan was for Barrclough to get McCutcheon and Segura out (righties,) and use Sipp against Harper (which is the reason we got Sipp, BTW) to get out of the inning. That would leave Doolittle for the next inning, against Hoskins, Realmuto, and Herrera. McCutcheon got on which meant that someone was going to have to face Hoskins that inning. Suero wasn't going to be ready in time, and he'd already pitched on back to back days so his availability and effectiveness are questionable at that point.

There was no way you let Harper hit against a RHP, so that meant walking him and hoping Barrclough could get outs out of Hoskins (who is hotter than fire right now) and Realmuto (who had a three hit night). Or bringing in Doolittle right then. Or bringing in Sipp to face Harper and then going to Doolittle after that AB.

There's a difference between having a plan and having to adapt a plan to the current situation. Martinez had a plan. It had to change. He adapted it. In the process, Sipp started his warm up procedures and didnt't get used. It happens all over baseball and is done by every manager at every level. In effect, Martinez saved Sipp pitches in a real game.

This is the difference between actually having been around this game and simply having watched it on TV.

I'm not a fan of that plan.  We might need to widen the home bullpen at Nationals Park, to include more mounds.  Maybe Dave can have all of his relievers warming at the same time, every time, and then he can choose who he needs at that moment.  It would save him from his planning sessions.

Online Slateman

"I don't care what you said. It is a fact in my mind."

Sorry, I forgot the primary rule of arguing at WNFF

Offline mitlen

Yea, what's my other site?

I can't mention it.   I'm under audit.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Same things are happening with other teams because starters cannot go enough innings and the hitters have caught up to the relievers. The average NL bullpen ERA is 4.99. There aren’t effective relievers out there. They have one in the pen now they can’t use.

Irrelevant that other teams have problems too in the discussion of whether Martinez made the right calls last night or in general.

Online bluestreak

Are we really doing this? Complaining about bullpen management in a game in which the bullpen pitched *six* scoreless innings and the team won in dramatic fashion?

PB69, I'm sure that Martinez will give you many more opportunities to question his decision making in the near future... ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

Irrelevant that other teams have problems too in the discussion of whether Martinez made the right calls last night or in general.
I don’t understand how it’s irrelevant. There aren’t enough good relievers out there. The Nats pen reflects that. Do you really think the Nats bullpen is good?

I assume he had Sipp up if Bearclaw got the first two outs. The flip side is of no one is up then people criticize because the guy on the mound implodes and no one is ready. It’s never going to be perfect.

Offline Natsinpwc

Are we really doing this? Complaining about bullpen management in a game in which the bullpen pitched *six* scoreless innings and the team won in dramatic fashion?

PB69, I'm sure that Martinez will give you many more opportunities to question his decision making in the near future... ;)
Yes we are. Yes we are.

Offline mitlen

Offline Natsinpwc

This
It’s why we get the big bucks.

Online Slateman

Meanwhile, PB was shilling for a a guy whose reputation for destroying pitchers' careers was so well known, that it kept him from getting a managing job for three years

Online UMDNats

Meanwhile, PB was shilling for a a guy whose reputation for destroying pitchers' careers was so well known, that it kept him from getting a managing job for three years

That guy was so good though that upon leaving here he had to fight away all the managerial offers, I believe. Too many to count!

Offline Natsinpwc

That guy was so good though that upon leaving here he had to fight away all the managerial offers, I believe. Too many to count!
Age discrimination.
:oldy:

Online UMDNats

The team has started calling Soto and Robles the Cabbage Smash Kids and they had cabbage in the locker room last night.

Oh man that is gonna infuriate some fans

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
The team has started calling Soto and Robles the Cabbage Smash Kids and they had cabbage in the locker room last night.

the Cole Slaughter

Online bluestreak

Like I said before. This logic doesn’t really hold up in a world where Ron Gardenhire has a major league job.

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
Fire Gabe Kapler!

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner

:hysterical:

Offline Air Desmond

Being negative is draining. I think Tuesday’s win united this team. I’m all in.

#TheBoysLikeTheirCabbage