Author Topic: Fire Dave Martinez - Magic Numbers 4/8  (Read 155556 times)

Offline rileyn

Went against the conventional wisdom and intentionally walked Suarez as the go ahead run. And it worked.
I will give credit for making the correct decision, but i think that was a no-brainer.  Standard decision, even it was the go ahead run.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Martinez gnome coming in 2020.

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
Good job pulling Wander and letting Hudson finish tonight.  Also pulled Ross at the right time.   

Offline Five Banners

Martinez gnome coming in 2020.

And one with multiple arms like the statue at the ballpark called the Henley windmill

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
@TalkNats2 Talk Nats reader TomD did a meet & greet with Davey Martinez and learned that he resisted when the #Nats asked him to do a gnome night giveaway. RT to call for a Davey Martinez lawn gnome in 2020.

Offline Five Banners

This slipped off the first page

Offline Greg_SRT

• Don't give up
I've seen talk about Doolittle's... overuse. here's the stats

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable.jsp#elem=%5Bobject+Object%5D&tab_level=child&click_text=Sortable+Player+pitching&game_type='R'&season=2019&season_type=ANY&league_code='MLB'&sectionType=sp&statType=pitching&page=1&ts=1566098514451&position='1'&sortColumn=ip&sortOrder='desc'&extended=0&playerType=ALL&timeframe=&last_x_days=&split=rp

Doo has thrown 51 2/3 innings so far. Tied for 47th most in innings pitch for relief pitchers

He has had the 3rd most save opportunities with 33. Wander has thrown more innings than DOO

Doo hasn't thrown more innings than most other back end pitchers in the league.

Feel free to go compare Doo innings pitched and save opportunities with the other RP in the league.

Offline Air Desmond

Tonight’s exhausting loss could’ve been avoided if Davey had a brain. Hudson in the 9th. Nats win.

Online bluestreak

I've seen talk about Doolittle's... overuse. here's the stats

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable.jsp#elem=%5Bobject+Object%5D&tab_level=child&click_text=Sortable+Player+pitching&game_type='R'&season=2019&season_type=ANY&league_code='MLB'&sectionType=sp&statType=pitching&page=1&ts=1566098514451&position='1'&sortColumn=ip&sortOrder='desc'&extended=0&playerType=ALL&timeframe=&last_x_days=&split=rp

Doo has thrown 51 2/3 innings so far. Tied for 47th most in innings pitch for relief pitchers

He has had the 3rd most save opportunities with 33. Wander has thrown more innings than DOO

Doo hasn't thrown more innings than most other back end pitchers in the league.

Feel free to go compare Doo innings pitched and save opportunities with the other RP in the league.

Why would you compare him to other pitchers?  All pitchers are not the same. You need to compare what he’s done this year to what he’s done in the past. And he’s on pace to pitch more innings and have more appearances than he’s had since 2014. He’s already had 54 appearances. He had 61 in all of 2014, when he was much younger and didn’t have an injury history.

Offline aspenbubba

Not sure why DM pinch hit Ross when Strasburg is our best hitting pitcher on the active roster .

Online Slateman

Not sure why DM pinch hit Ross when Strasburg is our best hitting pitcher on the active roster .
When the idiot pitcher tries to sprint out an infield hit and pulls a hammy, would you rather that be Ross or Strasburg?

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner

Ross was 2-9 (.222) coming into last night's game.  Strasburg was batting .161.  Yeah, obviously different sample sizes, but do you really want to risk Strasburg getting hurt over Ross?

I had no issue with putting Ross in, my only real complaint about Davey last night was the lack of a short hook of Doolittle when it was obvious he couldn't throw much above 90.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Don't give up
Why would you compare him to other pitchers?  All pitchers are not the same. You need to compare what he’s done this year to what he’s done in the past. And he’s on pace to pitch more innings and have more appearances than he’s had since 2014. He’s already had 54 appearances. He had 61 in all of 2014, when he was much younger and didn’t have an injury history.

Then he needs to go on the IR. If he can’t pitch a full season like every other player is expected, he should speak up. He was limited previous seasons for no fatigue related reasons. Now that he hasn’t stubbed his toe, it’s something else smh.

He’s not getting heavier workload compared to other 8th and 9th inning pitchers. He isn’t being used when not necessary compared to other 8th and 9th inning pitchers.

Nats have decision on the club option for sure.

Offline aspenbubba

Ross was 2-9 (.222) coming into last night's game.  Strasburg was batting .161.  Yeah, obviously different sample sizes, but do you really want to risk Strasburg getting hurt over Ross?

I had no issue with putting Ross in, my only real complaint about Davey last night was the lack of a short hook of Doolittle when it was obvious he couldn't throw much above 90.

Stras for July / August is 6 for 21 . Yes there is an injury factor but I recall last year Scherzer pinch hitting several times. I would have pulled Doo after the double.

Online bluestreak

Then he needs to go on the IR. If he can’t pitch a full season like every other player is expected, he should speak up. He was limited previous seasons for no fatigue related reasons. Now that he hasn’t stubbed his toe, it’s something else smh.

He’s not getting heavier workload compared to other 8th and 9th inning pitchers. He isn’t being used when not necessary compared to other 8th and 9th inning pitchers.

You may literally be the only person on the planet who thinks that Doolittle has not been overused.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Smart of Martinez to pull Doolittle when he did, after just 13 pitches, he should be able to bounce back if we need him today.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I'm not sure that innings is the best way to look at wear on a closer. Appearances and multi inning games are probably better for measuring use. Maybe also bursts of frequent use, like 3 games in a row or 4 in 5 days might be good too, but those are not easy to pull.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Stras for July / August is 6 for 21 . Yes there is an injury factor but I recall last year Scherzer pinch hitting several times. I would have pulled Doo after the double.

Ross is a much faster runner than Strasburg. Stras might have made more sense if the winning run was in scoring position.

Offline Five Banners

Smart of Martinez to pull Doolittle when he did, after just 13 pitches, he should be able to bounce back if we need him today.

And not having a short leash in the ninth or doing anything to slow things down (mound visits, etc. with a guy who basically said he's out of answers) when things started to look like tee ball was also a stroke of genius.

Offline Natsinpwc

You may literally be the only person on the planet who thinks that Doolittle has not been overused.
I don’t think he has either. At least as compared to other closers. He had a two week period in July where he only pitched three times. And yet he has been worse after that. Soemthing is just not right with his arm. More rest might do it or he may have a more serious injury.

Offline Natsinpwc

He’s injured just about every year which is one reason he doesn’t have so many appearances. Including last year. He obviously cannot pitch a full season. They need another guy for next year to split the duties.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter

Yep, $6.5 million is a bargain for a good closer and Doolittle was that for a season and a half. Nats fans booed Papelbon, Storen, and Soriano out of town and Doolittle has been just as bad or worse. Martinez obviously likes having a named closer so it is time to shift Doolittle to lower leverage situations and pick someone else for the ninth.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
And not having a short leash in the ninth or doing anything to slow things down (mound visits, etc. with a guy who basically said he's out of answers) when things started to look like tee ball was also a stroke of genius.

Exactly right, Martinez trusted Doolittle to get that last batter he faced out and it worked.

Online bluestreak

He’s injured just about every year which is one reason he doesn’t have so many appearances. Including last year. He obviously cannot pitch a full season. They need another guy for next year to split the duties.

Yeah. You should never use a pitcher’s injury history to determine how much you should pitch him...
It doesn’t matter how much Aroldis Chapman Or Kenley Jansen can pitch. This guy is clearly being overworked. Everyone was saying it even when he was pitching well.

You can make the argument that he shouldn’t be the closer given his inability to handle the workload he has. But you can’t credibly claim that Sean Doolittle isn’t overworked.

Offline Natsinpwc

Yeah. You should never use a pitcher’s injury history to determine how much you should pitch him...
It doesn’t matter how much Aroldis Chapman Or Kenley Jansen can pitch. This guy is clearly being overworked. Everyone was saying it even when he was pitching well.

You can make the argument that he shouldn’t be the closer given his inability to handle the workload he has. But you can’t credibly claim that Sean Doolittle isn’t overworked.
Ok. He’s not capable of being the primary closer on a competing team given his inability to handle heavy workload.