Author Topic: Fire Dave Martinez - Magic Numbers 3/7  (Read 155839 times)

Slateman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline dracnal

Sheesh, I don't even like the guy but beating a dead horse that it's his fault for every loss or every injury and picking through every quote he's ever made is tiresome.

This is what you initially responded with:

"lol @ PB69's idea that managers tell team doctors what to do. Talk about a fantasy land.

Also the company that pays to be the official partner IS 99.9% of the team the doctors the team sends players to. That is how it is done, except in PB69's mind where Davey Martinez shills for INOVA and gets paid on the side to send players there where they clearly get bad medical opinions. "

Your response to me was actually addressing what he said. Everything you exchanged with PB69 was not. Personally I think Davey does a poor job of managing the team for the most part, and that he's currently trying to save his career, whether he blows Doo's arm apart or not in the process. To me, that's a specific criticism, and not circle jerking about how he's the literal devil. PB's shtick can definitely be tiresome some days, but with as much as you respect journalists, I figured you would have addressed the substance of what he did, rather than just mocking him and misrepresenting his words.

Offline bluestreak

We won last night but I think the double steal attempt in the 7th was stupid.  Their pitcher had thrown 29 pitches without recording an out, and we were on the verge of blowing the game open.  No reason to even risk helping him by picking up an out on the base paths.  It changed that entire inning and had Davey sweating out his next bullpen moves.

You have one of the two or three fastest guys in baseball. You use him. You press your advantage when you have a guy on the ropes. The double steal not only takes away the double play potential, it allows you to score a run on an out.
We complain about little things and fundamentals, I’m not going to fault the guy for trying to manufacture runs.
I also don’t think Trea getting caught stealing had anything to do with Rendon and Soto striking out.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

You have one of the two or three fastest guys in baseball. You use him. You press your advantage when you have a guy on the ropes. The double steal not only takes away the double play potential, it allows you to score a run on an out.
We complain about little things and fundamentals, I’m not going to fault the guy for trying to manufacture runs.
I also don’t think Trea getting caught stealing had anything to do with Rendon and Soto striking out.

Not when the guy's walked two of the previous three hitters and you need a high probability of one run a lot more than you need gamble followed by a higher chance at two.  And if the steal succeeds, they probably walk Rendon to load the bases, which brings back the double play (including via the force at home) and takes the bat away from the team's best hitter. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
PB's shtick can definitely be tiresome some days

I get that, in my defense I keep my opinions on the topic almost exclusively in this thread dedicated to that topic. Also, I don't consider the push to move on from Martinez to be shtick. My true belief on this is that Davey Martinez is to the Washington Nationals what climate change would be to the world if global warming were a real thing.

Offline rileyn

Not when the guy's walked two of the previous three hitters and you need a high probability of one run a lot more than you need gamble followed by a higher chance at two.  And if the steal succeeds, they probably walk Rendon to load the bases, which brings back the double play (including via the force at home) and takes the bat away from the team's best hitter. 
Exactly.  Press the issue when you are stuggling to score runs, or facing a guy that is in a groove.  That pitcher was lost.  We had just put together 3 unbelievable at bats in a row and he was toast. 

Online Natsinpwc

Exactly.  Press the issue when you are stuggling to score runs, or facing a guy that is in a groove.  That pitcher was lost.  We had just put together 3 unbelievable at bats in a row and he was toast.
If the pitcher was lost how did he strike out Rendon after that? The Nats best hitter. 

Offline rileyn

If the pitcher was lost how did he strike out Rendon after that? The Nats best hitter. 
That’s the point.  He got his bearings back when he got an out without having to throw a pitch. The entire inning changed for both teams. Plus, Rendon took strike 2 to let them attempt the double steal. 

Online Natsinpwc

That’s the point.  He got his bearings back when he got an out without having to throw a pitch. The entire inning changed for both teams. Plus, Rendon took strike 2 to let them attempt the double steal.
No way of knowing that for sure.

Offline Air Desmond

Sanchez cruising through 5 ... yanked at 68 pitches.

Corbin getting rocked. Laser shots all over the ballpark. Let’s ride this out and keep him in for 88 pitches.

The guy is clueless.

Online Slateman

Sanchez cruising through 5 ... yanked at 68 pitches.

Corbin getting rocked. Laser shots all over the ballpark. Let’s ride this out and keep him in for 88 pitches.

The guy is clueless.

Sanchez 6th inning: A home run, a single, and a hard hit ball to third that Rendon snagged.
Sanchez is a week removed from recovering from a hamstring pull.
Sanchez hasnt thrown more than 80 pitches in a month.
Oh and opposing batters are hitting .373/.418/.784 against him the third time through the order.

Seems like Davey knew exactly what he was doing.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Break out the Boz article. Corbin pitched a heck of a lot better last year when he threw fewer pitches per game. I know, our bullpen is terrible so Martinez had no choice but to burn out our $140 million pitcher.

Online Slateman

Break out the Boz article. Corbin pitched a heck of a lot better last year when he threw fewer pitches per game. I know, our bullpen is terrible so Martinez had no choice but to burn out our $140 million pitcher.

So you and Boz just going to ignore the other five seasons in Corbin's career?

Offline Air Desmond

Very peculiar that Corbin has imploded since throwing 116 pitches vs the Marlins.

Offline Air Desmond

31-36. A competent manager would have this team at .500 or better.

Online Slateman

31-36. A competent manager would have this team at .500 or better.

:lmao:

Offline rileyn

So you and Boz just going to ignore the other five seasons in Corbin's career?

"On Saturday, Corbin pitched a four-hit complete game shutout and won. BUT Corbin has now averaged 109.4 pitches in his last five starts this month. That is astronomically higher than what he was asked to do in Arizona last year. There, he averaged only 95.2 pitches per game for the whole season! He did not throw more than 100 pitches in ANY game until summer --on June 22 he threw 102. All '18, Corbin only had one game with 110 pitches (113).

So far this May, he's had games of 118, 107, 108, 98 and 116 in the shutout when he had a 6-0 lead.

Is anybody watching? The Nats signed Corbin for SIX YEARS, not for TWO MONTHS. Somebody better throw a rope over Martinez. Doolittle also has had more high-pitch-count outings this year than he has had in his entire previous career combined.

There are two problems with a bad bullpen and an inexperienced manager who has never handled bullpens. The first is that you turn a lot of wins into losses. But, long term, you can also damage your whole pitching staff --leaving starters in too long to avoid calling the pen. And damaging relievers by constantly having them "getting hot" in the 6th, 7th and 8th because you don't trust the reliever who's in the game to be able to finish that inning."

Offline BigMeech

So is Corbin dead?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Why do you ask that, BigMeech?

So is Corbin dead?

Offline UMDNats

If only Corbin had thrown ten fewer pitchers in a couple of those, all of this would be avoided!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
If only Corbin had thrown ten fewer pitchers in a couple of those, all of this would be avoided!

Just six fewer yesterday would have been better.

Offline Air Desmond

Glad Davey had the boys ready for the homestand. No urgency whatsoever. Laying down for Greinke.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Glad Davey had the boys ready for the homestand. No urgency whatsoever. Laying down for Greinke.

It's still early in the home stand, you are being UNFAIR.

Offline Air Desmond

How did this team get so bad so quick? They’ll be hard pressed to match last year’s record of 82-80.

Offline nats2playoffs

Zack Greinke, age 35, has given up an average of 3.5 hits and 1.6 earned runs per game in 2019. It's not like everyone is hitting him around. I remember when WNFF debated acquiring him several years ago.
 :pimp:

Offline Air Desmond

Everybody keeps waiting for this team to go on a run and close the gap. It’s never going to happen. This team will not get back to their winning ways until Davey is gone. They won 97 games 2 years ago. Davey arrives and sends this franchise back to 2011. To the days when being .500 was celebrated.