Author Topic: Fire Dave Martinez - Magic Numbers 4/8  (Read 155406 times)

Offline Senatorswin

Why would people assume Girardi wouldn't want to come here? If he wants to manage this would be as good a situation as any opening in baseball, if it does open up. As far as paying him I can see Lerner finally getting off the bucks to pay a top manager.
Who would have thought Ted Williams would come to manage the Senators or Vince Lombardi would come coach the Redskins.

Offline UMDNats

Why would people assume Girardi wouldn't want to come here? If he wants to manage this would be as good a situation as any opening in baseball, if it does open up. As far as paying him I can see Lerner finally getting off the bucks to pay a top manager.
Who would have thought Ted Williams would come to manage the Senators or Vince Lombardi would come coach the Redskins.

Nothing in the Lerners' MO says they're willing to pay big bucks for him, and there's enough questions about the GM & ownership group working together in harmony to make it not worth it for a guy who can pick his spot. Between forcing Davey Johnson out, the Bud Black negotiations, the dirty laundry every year, the Dusty situation and now likely Davey being canned after 1.5 years, yeah it's a mess.

Offline Duke of Earl

Both had strong incentives. In the Williams case, it was the money.  He was quoted as saying (something to the effect of) "I had no intention of ever managing but I couldn't believe the amount of money Short offered".  In Lombardy's case, it was ownership. He quit the Packers because there was no way he could buy into the team.  Williams (Edward Bennet, that is) offered him 5%.

I don't know what would be Girardi's incentive.

Online Slateman

What makes it a good situation?

Payroll is stretched thin. Your rotation has two expensive pitchers on the decline and one expensive pitcher who has a couple good seasons left. The team has zero pitching prospects of note. The team is about to lose their best hitter to free agency and the GM will likely keep a rapidly failing first baseman.

All in a division that has teams loaded with young talent and lots of payroll

Offline UMDNats

9-8 despite being given the worst bullpen in the league, star SS going down after 3 games and most of the games against tough NL East contenders. :clap:

Maybe we can bring in some camels tomorrow, and really piss off PB69. :whip:

Offline Natsinpwc

9-8 despite being given the worst bullpen in the league, star SS going down after 3 games and most of the games against tough NL East contenders. :clap:

Helps to play a losing team. More of those upcoming.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter

9-8 is better than 7-8. But a top five payroll team is supposed to be overcome injuries. A bad bullpen? There are teams with bad starting rotations.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Don't give up
I think Dave has done a good job guiding this team despite are that has gone wrong. It's not easy but he hasn't stopped driving this team forward.

Extend Rendon and Dave.

Offline UMDNats

9-8 is better than 7-8. But a top five payroll team is supposed to be overcome injuries. A bad bullpen? There are teams with bad starting rotations.

Not sure how roster construction and budgeting is now Davey's fault.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Extend ... and Dave.

That's a bold step there young man.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
A camel eating cabbage.

Online mitlen

That's a bold step there young man.

Yeah, I like to toss trash on the fire sometime but this is a bridge too far.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

I could be wrong but I believe that Greg is the first poster here advocating such a move. He might be walking that plank by his lonesome come October.

Offline GburgNatsFan

If Slate can be arguing for busting it up AND going all in, is anything a bridge too far?

Online mitlen

If Slate can be arguing for busting it up AND going all in, is anything a bridge too far?

dave extension.

Online Slateman

And their records are ...?

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Not sure how roster construction and budgeting is now Davey's fault.

Managers have won divisions with less than perfect rosters. Managers have won competitively strong division. You seem to think that Martinez is not capable of overcoming adversity but still a quality manager.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Don't give up
I could be wrong but I believe that Greg is the first poster here advocating such a move. He might be walking that plank by his lonesome come October.

Nah I’m not serious

If the team does well, he looks good. If they don’t, he won’t.

I just think so far this season he’s done all anyone can.

Online Slateman

Managers have won divisions with less than perfect rosters. Managers have won competitively strong division. You seem to think that Martinez is not capable of overcoming adversity but still a quality manager.

Which manager won his division with the worst bullpen in baseball?

Online bluestreak

Dusty would have won with that 2017 bullpen. Even before the trades. They were already up big.

Online Slateman

Dusty would have won with that 2017 bullpen. Even before the trades. They were already up big.
Not the worst pen in baseball.
That pen was better than this one by about 3 in ERA.

Offline UMDNats

I dont even think Martinez is a good manager, it's just that I enjoy leveling out the "he's the worst of all time" takes and stirring the pot.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter

Worst bullpen in baseball over all of three weeks. They've thrown the fewest innings so he's getting production from his starters to offset his deficiencies.

Online Slateman

Worst bullpen in baseball over all of three weeks. They've thrown the fewest innings so he's getting production from his starters to offset his deficiencies.

:lmao:

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Nah I’m not serious
I don't even think Martinez is a good manager, it's just that I enjoy leveling out the "he's the worst of all time" takes and stirring the pot.

I would understand these takes if Martinez was a sympathetic figure, a lovable loser, but he's not. He blames others when the team falls short. He makes repeated wild boasts about how great of a team he's going to lead. And he sure as hell had a deal in place with the Nats before Baker was notified that he was being let go.