Author Topic: Get Well Dave Martinez - Stay in the Fight - Magic Number 10  (Read 154436 times)

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
It's to his detriment that he keeps saying "we played well, ran the bases well, defense played well........"  In fact the very next question last night was about Eaton airmailing the throw in the 8th allowing the trail runner to get into scoring position (and later score).  Does he forget these things, or just think that nobody will challenge him on it?  Meanwhile, Bo Porter just spent 5 minutes going over the subtle miscues and how they cost the team last night. 

I haven't seen Porter much but caught a little last night, it was kind of funny watching Kolko try to bluff his way through a conversation with a guy who actually knows what he's talking about.

That quote about just needing to iron out the bullpen was in response to a question with that exact phrase. Martinez has a habit of repeating what was just said to him and agreeing with it. I was wondering if the media guys intentionally ask questions in a way to set Martinez up with quotable responses. That line was Tweeted out by multiple beat writers, none of them mentioned that Martinez was simply parroting the reporter.

Offline Natsinpwc

I would think the Lerners are getting close to moving Bo from the booth to the dugout.

Online imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
I would think the Lerners are getting close to moving Bo from the booth to the dugout.

Can Bo pitch in relief?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way
That quote about just needing to iron out the bullpen was in response to a question with that exact phrase. Martinez has a habit of repeating what was just said to him and agreeing with it. I was wondering if the media guys intentionally ask questions in a way to set Martinez up with quotable responses. That line was Tweeted out by multiple beat writers, none of them mentioned that Martinez was simply parroting the reporter.

Must have been a week or so ago now but Boz included Martinez' unique delivery in one of his columns, you know.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way

I don't care where he goes as long as he's out of the booth.    BTW, put Kolko back on the sidelines.

Online imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
I'm struggling to pin the bullpen woes on Davey.  If he only has one reliable reliever what is he supposed to do? 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way
I'm struggling to pin the bullpen woes on Davey.  If he only has one reliable reliever what is he supposed to do? 

I don't think we can put the woes on him but it's painful to listen to him explain it.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter

Baker had Albers and no one else for four months.

Offline Natsinpwc

I don't care where he goes as long as he's out of the booth.    BTW, put Kolko back on the sidelines.
Sounds like a bad case of Ray withdrawal. I haven’t seen the new guys so will reserve judgment.

Bo Knows.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way
Sounds like a bad case of Ray withdrawal. I haven’t seen the new guys so will reserve judgment.

Bo Knows.

Guilty.    Plus, Kolko doesn't set him up well   ...   like Johnny did with Uncle Ray.    Kolko seems to be one of the hipster broadcasters that want you to know he's the smartest guy in the room (ala Paulsen).    Give Bo a meatball and get out of the way.    Bo knows baseball.

OT   Was at the Park last homestand and watched the interaction.    Bo was talking and Dan was checking his hair in a mirror he had by his seat.    First thought was watchin' Paulsen on Caps pre/post game broadcasts trying to place his hands and fluff his shirt in such a way to cover his gut  ...   all while Koken is talkin' hockey.

Offline Natsinpwc

Guilty.    Plus, Kolko doesn't set him up well   ...   like Johnny did with Uncle Ray.    Kolko seems to be one of the hipster broadcasters that want you to know he's the smartest guy in the room (ala Paulsen).    Give Bo a meatball and get out of the way.    Bo knows baseball.

OT   Was at the Park last homestand and watched the interaction.    Bo was talking and Dan was checking his hair in a mirror he had by his seat.    First thought was watchin' Paulsen on Caps pre/post game broadcasts trying to place his hands and fluff his shirt in such a way to cover his gut  ...   all while Koken is talkin' hockey.
Paulsen fluffing his shirt made me laugh. Pretty boys.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way
Paulsen fluffing his shirt made me laugh. Pretty boys.

This cat had his eyebrows threaded and talked about it on his radio show  ...  at least one segment/block.    He's forever trying to tout his hipster bona fides.     

Excuse the saltiness.    I gotta go to the Park today and have a talk with dave.

Offline Natsinpwc

This cat had his eyebrows threaded and talked about it on his radio show  ...  at least one segment/block.    He's forever trying to tout his hipster bona fides.     

Excuse the saltiness.    I gotta go to the Park today and have a talk with dave.
Enjoy.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way
Enjoy.

'Sposed to be near 80.    If nothing else, I can work on my golf tan (old guy bona fides :)).     Plan to stop by Capital One to catch some vibes on F ST pre-game.

Offline Slateman

He also had three times the offense and no one in the division to worry about

Offline Natsinpwc

'Sposed to be near 80.    If nothing else, I can work on my golf tan (old guy bona fides :)).     Plan to stop by Capital One to catch some vibes on F ST pre-game.
Go Caps.

Offline Natsinpwc

He had Doolittle and Madson for the playoffs and still couldn’t win.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
He had Doolittle and Madson for the playoffs and still couldn’t win.

Playoff? Martinez said that the plan was to play the World Series and win the last game.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
He also had three times the offense and no one in the division to worry about

I remember Stevenson, Sanchez, Wieters playing for Baker. Difo and Taylor played well for him.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
@markzuckerman Martinez said he stayed at the park late last night and tried to come up with a bullpen plan for today. Becoming a nightly thing for him, given the way things have gone to date.

As for the plan today, Martinez suggested it may be time to try Suero in a high-leverage spot.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Don't give up

I seem to remember that bullpen blowing many games

Offline Slateman

I remember Stevenson, Sanchez, Wieters playing for Baker. Difo and Taylor played well for him.

And four other dudes OPSing over .900 for him.

Dusty' Bullpen pre-Doolittle:
March/April: Four blown saves, ERA 5.40
May: 5BS, 3.93 ERA
June: 4BS, 5.51 ERA

Yea .... he handled it :roll:

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
And four other dudes OPSing over .900 for him.

Dusty' Bullpen pre-Doolittle:
March/April: Four blown saves, ERA 5.40
May: 5BS, 3.93 ERA
June: 4BS, 5.51 ERA

Yea .... he handled it :roll:
I seem to remember that bullpen blowing many games

I have no idea what convoluted point I'm supposed to be arguing against here.

Offline Slateman

I have no idea what convoluted point I'm supposed to be arguing against here.

That Dusty made the pen work with Albers. In fact its literally the height of idiocy to argue in favor of Dusty's management of pitching. The guy was literally unhirable for three years because of his handling of pitchers. He was then fired after a 97 win seasons because of his garbage handling of the pitching in the postseason.

The pen was trash until Rizzo fixed it. Dusty did nothing to help it, as evidence by the blown saves and ERA. Arguing that he "handled it" is absolute bullcrap.

Which is pretty much right on course for your thread.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
That Dusty made the pen work with Albers. In fact its literally the height of idiocy to argue in favor of Dusty's management of pitching. The guy was literally unhirable for three years because of his handling of pitchers. He was then fired after a 97 win seasons because of his garbage handling of the pitching in the postseason.

The pen was trash until Rizzo fixed it. Dusty did nothing to help it, as evidence by the blown saves and ERA. Arguing that he "handled it" is absolute bullcrap.

Which is pretty much right on course for your thread.

Martinez is a crap manager, no tangents you take or manifestos you put forward can change that.