Author Topic: PB69 presents "Fire Dave Martinez" (2017)  (Read 216208 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Fire Dave Martinez - Lilliquist scapegoated
« Reply #175: November 14, 2017, 02:45:02 PM »
Now you're pointing out why we should have kept Dusty.
Except Dusty didn't do crap for either of those. We could have done a fan vote every day for the lineup and still won the division by 10+ games.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #176: November 14, 2017, 03:35:50 PM »
Trying to load up on wins at the tail end of the season is not a good way to get a team prepared for postseason (unless you need those wins for a playoff spot).

The opposite strategy did not work in 2017...

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #177: November 14, 2017, 03:38:26 PM »
Except Dusty didn't do crap for either of those. We could have done a fan vote every day for the lineup and still won the division by 10+ games.

You don't think he handled an injured team well? Got the best out of Taylor, Difo, and Goodwin?

I do.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #178: November 14, 2017, 03:42:09 PM »
You don't think he handled an injured team well? Got the best out of Taylor, Difo, and Goodwin?

I do.

Dusty is a superb regular season manager

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #179: November 14, 2017, 03:52:04 PM »
Dusty is a superb regular season manager

Look at the post I originally responded to and my response will make sense. :shrug:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #180: November 14, 2017, 03:57:12 PM »

Loading up on wins at the end of the season didn’t work well for Cleveland either. Making generalizations based on one or two postseasons probably isn’t instructive.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #181: November 14, 2017, 04:23:14 PM »

I do.

Exactly what did he do besides start them?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #182: November 14, 2017, 04:27:33 PM »
Exactly what did he do besides start them?

Probably 10 percent of what a manager does is visible to the fans. I have no idea what he did, but if you're going to blame him for players not producing, it seems like he should get some credit for players that developed this year.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #183: November 14, 2017, 04:40:42 PM »
Probably 10 percent of what a manager does is visible to the fans. I have no idea what he did, but if you're going to blame him for players not producing, it seems like he should get some credit for players that developed this year.

I haven't blamed him for players not producing. Has anyone? I blame him for continuing to play players who were failing and making stupid decisions with the pitching staff in the playoffs.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #184: November 14, 2017, 10:41:55 PM »
Let me elaborate. If a manager tries to win as many games as possible at the end of the season because he thinks that will best prepare the team for postseason, then at least the motive is pure, no matter how misguided. If a manager tries to win as many games as possible at the end of the season to maximize his bonus, that's counterproductive.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #185: November 14, 2017, 10:44:43 PM »
Dusty got one 1st-place, six 2nd-place, and two 3rd-place votes,  for  manager of the year. And we fired him.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #186: November 14, 2017, 11:18:46 PM »
Dusty got one 1st-place, six 2nd-place, and two 3rd-place votes,  for  manager of the year. And we fired him.

Get over it.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #187: November 15, 2017, 12:55:17 AM »
Don't worry, skippy.

DMart is going to bring home the hardware to DC and cuck these haters.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #189: November 15, 2017, 07:25:23 AM »
Don't worry, skippy.

DMart is going to bring home the hardware to DC and cuck these haters.

Of all the crappy things that have happened over the past year, the normalization of the word “cuck” is among my least favorite.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #190: November 15, 2017, 08:25:37 AM »
Of all the crappy things that have happened over the past year, the normalization of the word “cuck” is among my least favorite.

Get over it ;)

Offline Slateman

« Reply #191: November 15, 2017, 08:35:24 AM »

Matt Williams got 18 first place votes, 6 second place votes, and 1 third place vote in 2014.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #192: November 15, 2017, 10:29:38 AM »

That's your least favorite? :wtf:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #193: November 15, 2017, 07:32:13 PM »
My thoughts exactly. Wouldn't have fired Baker, but they did and this seems like a good and correct hire. If they surround him with a strong staff then I'll have no complaints.

This team is ready to win now. The tougher part will be the reload next offseason.
Bouncing this up. They hired some experienced hands to back up Martinez. Still not sure about firing Baker but I'm happy with how they handled replacing him.

Offline GburgNatsFan

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #195: November 23, 2017, 02:52:13 PM »
Former Cubs bench coach Dave Martinez perfect fit as Nationals manager

Nationals manager Dave Martinez enters his new job knowing he will be deemed a success only if he wins at least one playoff series in 2018.

A big part of ending one historic drought in Chicago, Martinez now moves on to Drought 2.0 in Washington.

After waiting years for a chance to slide over into the manager’s chair, serving as Joe Maddon’s wing man the last decade with the Rays and the Cubs, Martinez’s time finally has arrived.

But instead of running a start-up with the built-in patience factor, the former Cubs bench coach won’t be afforded the luxury of growing into his first managerial job. When spring training begins in Florida in February, the 53-year-old Martinez will be at the helm of a ready-made contender that once again should cruise to a National League East title and compete with the Dodgers and Cubs for a World Series reservation.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/ct-spt-cubs-dave-martinez-nationals-sullivan-20171122-story.html

Really good article about Martinez.

I don't get excited about manager hires and Martinez wasn't my top choice, but really starting to like this hire. I knew from day one it was an obvious, safe hire on paper but I am starting to like it more and more. I really like they've been able to place a couple experienced hands around him.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #196: December 04, 2017, 12:20:29 PM »
Yankees replaced Girardi with Boone. And I am guessing budget was not an issue there.

Martinez is a good hire on paper. We'll see if it translates.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #197: December 04, 2017, 02:36:05 PM »
Yankees replaced Girardi with Boone. And I am guessing budget was not an issue there.

Martinez is a good hire on paper. We'll see if it translates.
Of the six new hires I believe we did great. Would rather have DM than Cora , Boone , Kapler, Gardenshire and Callaway. Hell, he was at Maddon's side for ten freakin' year. Cora was only a bench coach for one.