Author Topic: Are the Lerners mocked throughout the baseball industry?  (Read 8667 times)

Online HalfSmokes

I think Eisenhowerave in Alexandria makes a lot of sense- closer in if workers want to live in dc, metro station and the beltway right there too

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Has nobody told them that metro is dysfunctional.

FWIW, the silver line is operated by the WMAA, it actually operates outside the rest of the metro system.   WMAA also runs Dulles, National, and the Toll Road.  They are still on track to open Phase 2 in 2020.

Offline UMDNats

The DC young crowd can get even more insufferable than it already is if Amazon moves there!

Offline tenken627

Just read the story in the post, I’m guessing that kills any chance of Amazon going there(why get into the middle of  a property dispute if you don’t have to)

Because damn, thats a crap load of money in tax breaks.

Maryland lawmakers on Wednesday approved the biggest incentive package, by far, in the state’s history, part of a more than $5 billion effort to lure Amazon to Montgomery County to build its second headquarters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/hogan-vetoes-bill-that-changes-the-school-construction-process/2018/04/04/19f17a2e-3816-11e8-8fd2-49fe3c675a89_story.html?utm_term=.423e9234c62f

Offline Ray D

Maryland lawmakers are idiots.  I'm in Montgomery County and this scares the hell out of me.  Sure it means lots of jobs but most of those jobs will go to people moving here from out of town.  So, more ugly high-rise apartments will be built.  Traffic will go from congested to complete gridlock.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
DC or Crystal City is my bet. All 50k people will need cars if its in Loudoun Co., and its not close to DC or Reagan Airport. Dulles airport sucks and who knows when the metro will operate there.

It’s going to be in DC. That’s why they named 3 separate jurisdictions instead of “DC area.”  So they can fight and outbid each other.
The sites that I think are best suited are the site in Anacostia on the river or the area near NoMa-Union Station. Hill east I think is slightly less desirable and Shaw is too expensive, not enough space.

Offline UMDNats

Why would Amazon intentionally try to buy up a ton of land in DC? It's already expensive as hell. A suburb, or another city altogether, makes more sense.

Online HalfSmokes

There is no chance they choose anacostia

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Why would Amazon intentionally try to buy up a ton of land in DC? It's already expensive as hell. A suburb, or another city altogether, makes more sense.

Because one of the stated criteria is proximity to public transit. And anything attached to transit is going to be expensive in this area.
Bezos is building a huge house in DC. Bezos owns the Washington Post. He wants to be more active politically.

Online HalfSmokes

Because one of the stated criteria is proximity to public transit. And anything attached to transit is going to be expensive in this area.
Bezos is building a huge house in DC. Bezos owns the Washington Post. He wants to be more active politically.

If he wants to be more active politically, why would he locate in the one local jurisdiction with no national political power?

Online imref

I'm hoping they go to Loudoun, and there is finally enough support to extend Rt 28 into Maryland via a new bridge.  It won't happen, but one can dream....

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I'm hoping they go to Loudoun, and there is finally enough support to extend Rt 28 into Maryland via a new bridge.  It won't happen, but one can dream....

Route 28 ain't goin' into MD as long as the landowners in MD pay political tribute.    It's my understanding that Loudoun and Fairfax have a joint "bid" in.     It's all hush hush  ...

https://www.loudountimes.com/business/open-government-advocates-file-foia-requests-for-information-on-amazon/article_2bfbb016-32dc-11e8-a3ac-5752c3c9b2b1.html

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

We should ask Nate Silver what he thinks...

Offline mitlen

They named the subway line after him.     :)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
They named the subway line after him.     :)

:crackup:

That does it...Dulles!

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

??

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Online imref

Running banter between me and imref...

i think to have banter, it has to be back and forth..  You've got the forth part down....

:)

Offline mitlen

i think to have banter, it has to be back and forth..  You've got the forth part down....

:)

I'm not sure what's goin' on but that's a pretty good volley sir.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I'm not sure what's goin' on but that's a pretty good volley sir.

He's in denial...  ;)

Online imref

He's in denial...  ;)

Never been to Egypt, sorry.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Maryland lawmakers are idiots.  I'm in Montgomery County and this scares the hell out of me.  Sure it means lots of jobs but most of those jobs will go to people moving here from out of town.  So, more ugly high-rise apartments will be built.  Traffic will go from congested to complete gridlock.

This is a 50,000 employee headquarters building. A large number of these jobs will not be tech jobs, but support (custodians, food service, security, mailroom, etc). Those jobs should be filled by people in the area. And the white collar jobs can be filled by folks here too that maybe have jobs that aren’t as good. At the very least it will increase demand for tech workers which may exert upward pressure on salaries. Plus it will be a stimulus to local businesses as well as spawn business creation, which also means more jobs for locals. Lastly, it will help to diversify the local economy by adding a large non-government employer.

If you don’t want the local economy to grow, then I guess Amazon would be bad. But otherwise, it would be an unquestioned boon to the local economy.
This is a separate question from whether all these incentives are advisable (I think they probably aren’t)

Offline LoveAngelos

Does not matter so long as the politicians  can claim they created jobs. They don't  care who gets them as long as they can keep their own

Offline Trea Burner

Probably as much as Ted Leonsis is in Basketball and Hockey.

A tad less than Snyder in Football.

DC is like professional sports hell.