Author Topic: Are the Lerners mocked throughout the baseball industry?  (Read 8763 times)

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Dusty was fired and no one will hire him again. If Rizzo is fired he will have several offers.

Sure, based on age. But I'd bet on Baker to get the most out of his team. How would Rizzo do when he signs with a team where he inherents dead money and his budget is bottom half of the league?

Offline Natsinpwc

Sure, based on age. But I'd bet on Baker to get the most out of his team. How would Rizzo do when he signs with a team where he inherents dead money and his budget is bottom half of the league?
It's not based on age. Dusty had no offers after leaving Cincinnati. He was only hired by the Nats after the negotiations with Bud Black broke down.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
It's not based on age. Dusty had no offers after leaving Cincinnati. He was only hired by the Nats after the negotiations with Bud Black broke down.

But that had a lot to do with age too. It was only 2 years ago. I’m convinced that if Dusty were 55 he’d already have another job.

Offline Natsinpwc

But that had a lot to do with age too. It was only 2 years ago. I’m convinced that if Dusty were 55 he’d already have another job.
Not so sure. Four top teams now he has not delivered with. That doesn't get you more jobs. Why weren't teams after him when he lost the Cincinnati job?

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980

Why would any team want Dusty? He has choked in the playoffs everywhere he's been at. Unless you're a bottom dweller and making the playoffs is your only goal then Dusty is a fine hire, but if your goal is to win a championship, then Dusty is not the right man for the job.

Offline DPMOmaha

Why would any team want Dusty? He has choked in the playoffs everywhere he's been at. Unless you're a bottom dweller and making the playoffs is your only goal then Dusty is a fine hire, but if your goal is to win a championship, then Dusty is not the right man for the job.
Well, there's the answer to your question. There's a few teams in that situation...though they don't currently have any openings.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Because most teams don't make the playoffs year after year and are happy making the playoffs. Which Dusty does. It's fine, I am never going to convince anyone he's a decent manager, so I give up.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Because most teams don't make the playoffs year after year and are happy making the playoffs. Which Dusty does. It's fine, I am never going to convince anyone he's a decent manager, so I give up.

Dusty is a better-than-decent manager. You don't have to convince me.

Offline LoveAngelos

If the Lerners want to change their image they would do whatever it takes to get Girardi. Until then we will have Lamborghini of a team with no steering wheel, tires or headlights.
They can spend all they want on starters but without an effective manager or top flight bullpen they need to be content with making the playoffs from time time time which maybe they are. Those kind of teams do sell lots of tickets

Offline HalfSmokes

If the Lerners want to change their image they would do whatever it takes to get Girardi. Until then we will have Lamborghini of a team with no steering wheel, tires or headlights.
They can spend all they want on starters but without an effective manager or top flight bullpen they need to be content with making the playoffs from time time time which maybe they are. Those kind of teams do sell lots of tickets

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/10/26/sports/baseball/joe-girardi-fired-yankees.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

If he really got fired for losing a clubhouse, there is no way I’d want him here with a team that already quit on a previous manager

Offline DPMOmaha

That happens to a lot of good managers when they've been someplace as long as Girardi was in New York.  He had 10 really good years there. I'd be thrilled if he ended up here.

Offline LoveAngelos

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/10/26/sports/baseball/joe-girardi-fired-yankees.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

If he really got fired for losing a clubhouse, there is no way I’d want him here with a team that already quit on a previous manager

I agree but if losing a clubhouse means your team, like the 2017 Yanks, defies expectations then maybe it would not be a bad thing. I am just a dumb fan but I don't want another learning on the job manager just to save a few bucks of which there is an abundance (bucks and learning on the job managers)

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025

If losing the clubhouse means your team overwhelmingly exceeds expectations, rallies back from a 0-2 deficit in the DS, and gets within one game of the WS then Girardi can lse ours and never, ever find it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Well, there's the answer to your question. There's a few teams in that situation...though they don't currently have any openings.
Phillies. 

Offline DPMOmaha

Offline Natsinpwc

I agree but if losing a clubhouse means your team, like the 2017 Yanks, defies expectations then maybe it would not be a bad thing. I am just a dumb fan but I don't want another learning on the job manager just to save a few bucks of which there is an abundance (bucks and learning on the job managers)
Probably shows that the losing the clubhouse stuff is usually overrated.

I would still prefer Martinez. He has been with Maddon so knows the drills even if he hasn't managed before. I think Girardi will take a year or two off.

Offline Natsinpwc

That would be one for sure.
Can't see him going there. He would want to go to a contender.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Can't see him going there. He would want to go to a contender.
then he's going to get the question, "how's it feel to want?" He's not getting the Yankee job, and there aren't a ton of contenders looking for hires.  Maybe he just sits back, but if he wants to manage, he's going to have to grab a roster that has bottomed and has interesting prospects in a city that has the capacity to support a decent payroll.  That's Philly.

Offline Natsinpwc

then he's going to get the question, "how's it feel to want?" He's not getting the Yankee job, and there aren't a ton of contenders looking for hires.  Maybe he just sits back, but if he wants to manage, he's going to have to grab a roster that has bottomed and has interesting prospects in a city that has the capacity to support a decent payroll.  That's Philly.
Girardi is not going to Philly. They don't want a high profile manager at this time.

Offline DPMOmaha

Girardi is not going to Philly. They don't want a high profile manager at this time.
I think the topic here was Dusty.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
yes.  Dusty is the fit for Philly, if  they are looking for a guy to bring them up but not get over the top.

Offline Natsinpwc

OMG. We have never gotten off topic before at WNFF.  :hysterical:

Offline Ray D

The topic is the Lerners.  And right now Girardi is relevant to the topic.

Offline LoveAngelos

What is relevant is Rizzo gets over ruled by 3 generations of Lerners.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
What is relevant is Rizzo gets over ruled by 3 generations of Lerners.

It's their ball...they can go home with it anytime they want...