Author Topic: Are the Lerners mocked throughout the baseball industry?  (Read 8672 times)

Offline LoveAngelos

Tom Lavatory on the radio said they were the joke of baseball.

I can understand why.

I think, therefore I am, Dusty was not extended because he wanted a pay upgrade commensurate with industry standards.

The next manager will be hungry for a job opportunity and therefore willing to work below industry pay scale

Bo Porter will be the next manger.

Winning has nothing to do with anything. It is all about the Real Estate Company....I mean baseball team pay scale per the Lerners

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
that's silly.  They've added what, $600m in value to the club since they bought it and have turned it into a perennial NL contender and a place where top players want to play?  Because they extended Strasburg?  So they get mocked for bad managerial decisions?

They can put all the negative publicity to rest if they extend Harper this off-season.

Offline LoveAngelos

I think they get mocked because they refuse to pay a manager a salary commensurate with the MLB pay scale. They seem to value the managerial position right up there with the head locker room custodian.....among other things

Offline Elvir Ovcina

that's silly.  They've added what, $600m in value to the club since they bought it and have turned it into a perennial NL contender and a place where top players want to play?  Because they extended Strasburg?  So they get mocked for bad managerial decisions?

They can put all the negative publicity to rest if they extend Harper this off-season.

The stadium plus the across the board appreciation in sports franchises did most of that value increase for them.  The spending philosophy has been odd: go for broke on big-ticket items and then cheap out on the marginal things that often end up making the difference. 

Offline HalfSmokes

I think they get mocked because they refuse to pay a manager a salary commensurate with the MLB pay scale. They seem to value the managerial position right up there with the head locker room custodian.....among other things

How many of the highest paid managers sat out the playoffs this year?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Bochy, for one.

Offline DPMOmaha

Not all coaching salaries are published, but of the ones I can find, Scoicia, Bochy, Showalter and Mattingly all made more than Dusty and missed the playoffs.

Offline imref

Not all coaching salaries are published, but of the ones I can find, Scoicia, Bochy, Showalter and Mattingly all made more than Dusty and missed the playoffs.

that's correct.  Of the published salaries, Baker was the 7th highest paid manager in the majors last year.  Hurdle, Collins, and Gibbons all made at least a million and missed the playoffs.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
You don't get mocked if you win and make money, and they do both. They could win more (see postseason shortcomings) and, of course, you could always make more money.

Offline Dave301

Loverro is like that fat secretary at work who always has "juicy gossip" to offer because she wants attention. He tends to exaggerate things in order for it to sound more interesting.

Did he at least say why they were considered "the joke of baseball"?

Offline imref

Loverro is like that fat secretary at work who always has "juicy gossip" to offer because she wants attention. He tends to exaggerate things in order for it to sound more interesting.

Did he at least say why they were considered "the joke of baseball"?

I’m dying laughing at your avatar.

Offline Ray D

Thom Laverro is the joke  of radio.  Seriously he in nothing more than a clown.  And his hideous high-pitched voice only makes him more of a joke.

Offline rileyn

Loverro has a major axe to grind and he is losing credibility the more he rattles on about this.  Last night during the Redskins game, he criticized many of Grudens' decisions and hashtagged each of them with #DustyBaker.  He comes across as a whiny 10 year old.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
This is different from the Loverro of the last ten or so years how?

My best guess is that there was a time when Loverro wasn't a morbidly obese, yellow-snaggle-toothed troll-man.  He was about to marry a good woman, when Marky-Mark Lerner came along and took his lady.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

The girlfriend and I went to the Caps playoff game last year and Loverro was just sitting on the side of the verizon center smoking a giant cigar looking like a homeless guy that somehow got a press pass. Thought about saying hi to him just for the hell of it but figured he'd probably just be a jerk about it. Not to mention I'm probably the only person who even knew who he was. He's a prick and there's not much more to it.

Offline Ray D

Loverro was just sitting on the side of the verizon center smoking a giant cigar
How does he get away with that?   Isn't there a no smoking ordinance?

Offline raleighnat

How does he get away with that?   Isn't there a no smoking ordinance?

Loverro is an ass.  Nats need to win the whole thing and just shut everyone up.  As for ownership, they need to give Rizzo a budget, let him do his thing, and stay out of his way.

Offline Count Walewski

I imagine the Lerners are respected for building a successful, popular team. Most MLB owners can only dream about their team winning the division in 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, and being favorites to do so again in 2018.

Offline LoveAngelos

Kasten left I understood  because of philosophical differences.  When Bowden was ushered  out he said the Lerner's ran the team like a shopping mall. Clearly Rizzo has had the rug pulled out from under him on occasion  and I don't expect he will be here after his contract is up.
Who knows?
Sometimes  people win despite  themselves
(That will never happen to Danny Snyder)

Offline HalfSmokes

Kasten left I understood  because of philosophical differences.  When Bowden was ushered  out he said the Lerner's ran the team like a shopping mall. Clearly Rizzo has had the rug pulled out from under him on occasion  and I don't expect he will be here after his contract is up.
Who knows?
Sometimes  people win despite  themselves
(That will never happen to Danny Snyder)

Poor Rizzo forced to cope with a top ten payroll, however does he cope

Offline imref

Poor Rizzo forced to cope with a top ten payroll, however does he cope

don't forget having Scherzer forced on him.  It's rough.

Offline tzinc

their incredible cheapness caused the nats to lose out on solid relievers and start season with a bs bp only dustys magic kept them winning and this is how they pay him back

rizzo and lerners were saved from some awful deals by players opting out not through their genius they wanted to sign them and failed

of course they wiffed on many solid fas which is inexcusable

yankees astros dodgers cubs all made big time moves and nats were plugging the dike with a couple relievers ridiculous

this team will always be a contender but never a winner thats rizzo philosophy you get what you aim for

as a fa i would never play for such an organization harper would be crazy to stay

Offline HalfSmokes

their incredible cheapness caused the nats to lose out on solid relievers and start season with a bs bp only dustys magic kept them winning and this is how they pay him back

rizzo and lerners were saved from some awful deals by players opting out not through their genius they wanted to sign them and failed

yankees astros dodgers cubs all made big time moves and nats were plugging the dike with a couple relievers ridiculous

this team will always be a contender but never a winner thats rizzo philosophy you get what you aim for

as a fa i would never play for such an organization harper would be crazy to stay

If only they had shelled out to keep melancon

Offline nats4ever

Get out of here with that bull. You weren't saying that were they were consistently winning.

Offline Natsinpwc

Dusty was fired and no one will hire him again. If Rizzo is fired he will have several offers.