Author Topic: Fire [insert name here] -Manager Search (2018 edition)  (Read 17164 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

What about Sandy Alomar and Phil Nevin? The wouldn’t be expensive and have good pedigrees. Or what about Ron Washington? He’s been to two World Series.

In any case unless the Nats hire someone by tomorrow, they will have to wait until November to hire someone because MLB discourages major news during the World Series.

They'd be better off hiring a dead person.  Ron Washington is a fantastic infield coach, and anything above that is an apt demonstration of the Peter Principle.  He was so massively over his head as a manager that it was alternately hilarious and sad.  Those teams won because they had really strong talent, not because of Washington.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

I would like the hire of Dave Martinez.  I remember him playing for the Expos growing up and my Poppaw who taught me baseball used to say when I switch hit that I had a swing like Dave Martinez.  Other than sentimental reasons for my late grandfather, I like that he's been Joe Maddon's right-hand man for a long time. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
I would like the hire of Dave Martinez.  I remember him playing for the Expos growing up and my Poppaw who taught me baseball used to say when I switch hit that I had a swing like Dave Martinez.  Other than sentimental reasons for my late grandfather, I like that he's been Joe Maddon's right-hand man for a long time. 

Martinez has been interviewed for just about every opening over the last couple of years.  I'd like to understand why he keeps getting passed over.

Offline aBaltoNat

Maybe we can get Otani if we offer him a player/manager spot?

Offline UMDNats

Granderson without Long: .272/.344/.484/.828
Granderson with Long: .243/.338/.467/.805

Yea, not seeing how Long made him a better hitter.

In Granderson's last year with NYY he looked freaking cooked, Long really helped him. I know you don't care, but ask Granderson and he'll credit it to Long.

IMO Long would be a good hire.

Offline Optics

Just as if not more important than the Manager is the coaching staff.

I don't like losing Maddux.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Nats have received approval to talk to Long.

https://twitter.com/barrysvrluga/status/922556038557130752

Offline UMDNats

Just as if not more important than the Manager is the coaching staff.

I don't like losing Maddux.

What has Maddux done to our staff that makes him some god? He obviously has a great rep but nothing he's done has super impressed me. I'd like to keep him but a smart-minded pitching coach can be found. Maybe I'm expecting too much but considering his reputation I expected at some SOME development from our staff as a whole. Maybe he's the reason Stras hit another gear this year.

We haven't developed one decent pitcher since he's been here, our whole pitcher development system needs to be overhauled.

Offline Ray D

Why? What is it about him that would make him managerial material?  Just being a good hitting coach?

Offline aBaltoNat

What has Long done to prove he's a very good hitting coach?

The Mets are more reliant on the homers than we are. This is not the approach we need moving forward.

Offline UMDNats

Why? What is it about him that would make him managerial material?  Just being a good hitting coach?

Players absolutely love him. Great communicator, busts his ass off, smart, approachable. Do I think he's a favorite or slam-dunk? No, someone like Martinez is better on paper. But Long is legitimately a great guy to have in the dugout.

Online Mattionals

I wouldn't be surprised if Maddux doesn't get the gig that he comes back as PC.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

https://twitter.com/barrysvrluga/status/922556038557130752

Long lives in Arizona, must be a Rizzo guy.

Nice background for a hitting coach, 7 years with the Yankees.

Offline Ray D

Long is legitimately a great guy to have in the dugout.

Hire him as dugout clown.  Great Guy just isn't enough to make a guy a manager. 

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

I'd like to see Maddux back ac PC under the new coach.  I'd imagine that he'd be asked to return.   I also hope Davey Lopes returns as 1B coach. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Bench coach? Keep Maddux as the PC and hire Martinez as the manager?

Offline UMDNats

:roll:

Obviously. I'm just saying a strength of his is how much players love playing for him. I'd be interested to interview him and see if he'd even be open to hitting coach here if it doesn't work out. Not the favorite for the job or anything.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Fire the guy that runs this site, smh, such a bum, Nats never won anything with him around.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Bench coach? Keep Maddux as the PC and hire Martinez as the manager?
I got a little wood just then.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Fire the guy that runs this site, smh, such a bum, Nats never won anything with him around.

#TheChef #sad #dinosaursareextinct #standarddecision

Offline hotshot

So ... per MLB Network, Mark DeRosa came within a hair's breadth of getting the Mets job. Who would excite you more for the Nats to name, Martinez or DeRosa?

Online HondoKillebrew

Interesting interview by Mike Francessa (WFAN-NY) of DeRosa about DeRosa's experience being interviewed by Mets.  Says he wasn't really prepared, was hurt by not coming in with a plan for the team, considers himself a leader of men, isn't really prepared from "nuts and bolts" of day-to-day managing, may need to get mgr/bench experience first, but was ultimately disappointed he didn't get the job.  Worth a listen if you are intrigued by the possibility of him managing someday, as I am. 

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
I'd like to see Maddux back ac PC under the new coach.  I'd imagine that he'd be asked to return.   I also hope Davey Lopes returns as 1B coach. 

Davey Lopes is the most overrated coach on the staff. He hasn't gotten the nats to run better or for that matter smarter on the basepaths. Too many nats have been picked off in the playoffs at 1st base under his watch.

Online Mattionals

Davey Lopes is the most overrated coach on the staff. He hasn't gotten the nats to run better or for that matter smarter on the basepaths. Too many nats have been picked off in the playoffs at 1st base under his watch.

It's not Lopez's fault Zim can't get back to a base. Zim shouldn't lead off that much if he can't react.

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Interesting interview by Mike Francessa (WFAN-NY) of DeRosa about DeRosa's experience being interviewed by Mets.  Says he wasn't really prepared, was hurt by not coming in with a plan for the team, considers himself a leader of men, isn't really prepared from "nuts and bolts" of day-to-day managing, may need to get mgr/bench experience first, but was ultimately disappointed he didn't get the job.  Worth a listen if you are intrigued by the possibility of him managing someday, as I am. 

I didn't listen but yikes just the summary makes me think this guy is nowhere near ready to manage a team.