Author Topic: Fire [insert name here] -Manager Search (2018 edition)  (Read 17322 times)

Offline dcpatti

I ask this with all sincerity. Why are so many people excited for a guy how has been repeatedly passed over for jobs for at least the past 5 years?

I don’t think being passed over for a mlb manager’s job is the same as being passed over for a job in the real world. It’s an incredibly small community. Everyone knows everyone. A manager or coaching job is the logical career progression, but there are very few openings. You give someone an interview for the networking opportunities. Maybe he’s not ready now for a manager gig, but maybe he will be in 5 years and he’ll remember you favorably when it’s  time to make trades. Maybe he just got fired and giving him an interview might help other teams start looking at him.  I mean, Rizzo pretty much offered up his Senators protege to the Braves since they’re going to need a whole new org chart soon. Why would you want to mentor a guy through his career only to send him to a division rival? Because it’s an incredibly small community (and I think that the players/coaches/managers get along better with their competitors than the fans do).