Author Topic: Bryce Harper 2018 and beyond  (Read 118289 times)

Offline LoveAngelos

Re: Bryce Harper 2018 and beyond
« Reply #250: May 03, 2018, 07:46:39 AM »
I think he wants to stay. He really likes it here.

(Image removed from quote.)

You never saw Billy Martin nd Reggie Jackson doing this....then again in those days I think such activity may have been illegal

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #251: May 03, 2018, 08:37:57 AM »
If they heard it from Boras, it’s first hand....
Bryce, Boras, Boras' employee, employee's friend, and the unimpeachable Patti.

Offline Optics

« Reply #252: May 03, 2018, 12:02:37 PM »
I think Harper genuinely loves D.C. and does want to stay, but also cares about his brand and overall legacy in the history of baseball. I don't see him chasing the dollar as much as chasing the best place for the Bryce Harper name to grow and expand.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #253: May 03, 2018, 12:07:52 PM »
I think Harper genuinely loves D.C. and does want to stay, but also cares about his brand and overall legacy in the history of baseball. I don't see him chasing the dollar as much as chasing the best place for the Bryce Harper name to grow and expand.

I genuinely wonder where that would be; every possibility seems to have pros and cons if you look at it from that lens.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #254: May 03, 2018, 12:18:47 PM »
I genuinely wonder where that would be; every possibility seems to have pros and cons if you look at it from that lens.

The con of leaving is it almost guarantees Harper plays for more than 2 teams lifetime. Something Harper knows hurts his legacy.

Harper leaves after the season for the Cubs for example. Will be loved immediately but quickly fades and becomes a what have you done for me lately. Strikes out to end the game. "Boo we spent $400 million for this"!

Then hated because the Cubs can't sign guys the Cubs grew from prospects. Fans love guys drafted and excel under their team.

Then the Cubs have to eventually find someone to take a big contract because they want to rebuild. Or eat some of that money.

If Harper where to stay in D.C. and make $400 million over the next 15 years instead of 10, he becomes loved, a hero... Will still make a Billion lifetime, and has no target on his back from home fans.

The way I see it anyway.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #255: May 03, 2018, 12:22:35 PM »
The con of leaving is it almost guarantees Harper plays for more than 2 teams lifetime. Something Harper knows hurts his legacy.

Harper leaves after the season for the Cubs for example. Will be loved immediately but quickly fades and becomes a what have you done for me lately. Strikes out to end the game. "Boo we spent $400 million for this"!

Then hated because the Cubs can't sign guys the Cubs grew from prospects. Fans love guys drafted and excel under their team.

Then the Cubs have to eventually find someone to take a big contract because they want to rebuild. Or eat some of that money.

If Harper where to stay in D.C. and make $400 million over the next 15 years instead of 10, he becomes loved, a hero... Will still make a Billion lifetime, and has no target on his back from home fans.

The way I see it anyway.

not to mention the cubs just won, so he's not the savior and Bryant is already the star. Maybe harper is better than Bryant, but Bryant is homegrown and has a ring. If he goes to the Yankees, his best case is being one of a long list of Yankee stars. 

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #256: May 03, 2018, 12:25:12 PM »
not to mention the cubs just won, so he's not the savior and Bryant is already the star. Maybe harper is better than Bryant, but Bryant is homegrown and has a ring. If he goes to the Yankees, his best case is being one of a long list of Yankee stars.

If New York couldn't sign Judge or a few others because Harper...

Harper doesn't mind being booed by opposing teams fans. He will mind being booed by his teams fans.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #257: May 03, 2018, 12:31:22 PM »
I saw something after the Nats clinched the division last year that Bryce sought out and hugged Annette Lerner. That told me that there was an affinity from him towards ownership. On another note , I'm really have to question the logic of him wanting more than what Stanton received. The difference between 300-400 Mil will not change any ones lifestyle and how much to you want to finance future generations and all the concomitant ills that could ensue. Remember that he was raised by working parents who were actively involved in their childrens" lives with a strong faith background.

I also want to issue a "mea culpa" as I have felt that Harp was not going 100%. I think he is playing much harder as evidenced by him beating out what could have been an inning ending DP last nite.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #258: May 03, 2018, 12:32:25 PM »
His BABIP is lower than his batting average. He is becoming the ultimate 3 True Outcomes player.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #259: May 03, 2018, 12:36:28 PM »
Harper likes the Spotlight, the Attention, and the Talk. He wants to make an impact.

I think he will sign an extension just before the All Star break.

Just my feeling. I have no inside information at all.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #260: May 03, 2018, 12:42:22 PM »
I saw something after the Nats clinched the division last year that Bryce sought out and hugged Annette Lerner. That told me that there was an affinity from him towards ownership. On another note , I'm really have to question the logic of him wanting more than what Stanton received. The difference between 300-400 Mil will not change any ones lifestyle and how much to you want to finance future generations and all the concomitant ills that could ensue. Remember that he was raised by working parents who were actively involved in their childrens" lives with a strong faith background.

I also want to issue a "mea culpa" as I have felt that Harp was not going 100%. I think he is playing much harder as evidenced by him beating out what could have been an inning ending DP last nite.

He's obligated to a 10% full tithing to the church.  That ain't chump change in his bracket...

I think he was embarrassed by not running to first and has picked it up.  I don't think your earlier observation was too far off base...

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #261: May 03, 2018, 12:47:29 PM »
He's obligated to a 10% full tithing to the church.  That ain't chump change in his bracket...

he can always find protestant Jesus before signing and save himself some money

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #262: May 03, 2018, 01:19:56 PM »

Bryce realistically will play another 13-15 years.  There are a few teams that could realistically be expected to suck for the next 13-15 (lookin at you, Orioles, so long as Angelos is at the helm) but most of them will have some rebuild years and some contention years in that time frame. The Nats have shown a willingness to spend and while the farm isn't on the same level as the Yankees or Dodgers, it's growing and improving, and in the grand scheme of things, the Nats have an equal opportunity to win rings in the next 13-15 years as  other teams do.  He can be part of a long history of baseball in places like Chicago or LA, or he can be the one who puts DC baseball on the map.   That is very powerful.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #263: May 03, 2018, 04:35:44 PM »
He can be part of a long history of baseball in places like Chicago or LA, or he can be the one who puts DC baseball on the map.   That is very powerful.

as much as we like to think this matters, it really doesn't to most of the top-level guys, sadly. the nats can make that appeal but at the end of the day, money talks.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #264: May 03, 2018, 04:37:58 PM »
as much as we like to think this matters, it really doesn't to most of the top-level guys, sadly. the nats can make that appeal but at the end of the day, money talks.

Cano and Arod chased the money. Arod ended up leaving (and trying to take a pay cut to get out) and Cano has basically vanished from baseball coverage. Plenty of other guys have let other factors (be it market, familiarity, chance to win...) influence their decisions

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #265: May 03, 2018, 04:38:15 PM »
he can always find protestant Jesus before signing and save himself some money

:crackup:

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #266: May 03, 2018, 05:14:41 PM »

Strasburg didn't go after the money. I know it's rare but it can happen.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #267: May 03, 2018, 05:17:07 PM »
Strasburg didn't go after the money. I know it's rare but it can happen.
In fact, it can happen for him next year (or is it 2020)?

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #268: May 03, 2018, 06:34:05 PM »
Altuve didn’t go after the money and lord knows he could have gotten a big ol box of it.  Not that 7/$151 was chump change but still.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #269: May 03, 2018, 07:04:29 PM »
Altuve didn’t go after the money and lord knows he could have gotten a big ol box of it.  Not that 7/$151 was chump change but still.

$163.5 million...but still...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #270: May 03, 2018, 07:07:44 PM »
$163.5 million...but still...
short money.

Online nfotiu

« Reply #271: May 03, 2018, 09:40:04 PM »
rper
In fact, it can happen for him next year (or is it 2020)?
I really thought Harper would have signed a biggish contract with a bunch of player options this winter.  It made so much sense for both sides to get him guaranteed for a few more years in exchange for Harper securing his fortune (even if he destroys his knee on a wet base or is attacked by a fence) and still leaving open the prospect for a ridiculous contract if he goes full Barry Bonds and/or baseball economics move back to the players.

I guess one side got too greedy or too cheap or both, but that's too bad for everyone because that ship has probably sailed now.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #272: May 03, 2018, 10:36:46 PM »
Ted Lerner is already resigned to the idea that Harper is gone. Even though he said when signing Stras that he wanted to be in a position to sign Bryce long term, it may be that it is a foregone conclusion that Harper/Boras are going open market no matter what, and Old Man Ted has no intention of getting into a bidding war.

Offline NatsAllThe Way