Author Topic: Shouldn't someone on the Nats staff have known the interference rules?  (Read 4024 times)

Offline wj73

I've been doing a lot of reading this morning and the consensus in the baseball world seems to be the umpires misinterpreted the interference rule when Baez hit Weiters on the backswing.   Yet when the umpires explained their ruling to Dusty he didn't really argue much. He simply accepted what the umpires said and sat back down.

Shouldn't there be at least one person on the staff that knows the rule book inside and out???  It seems that there should have been somebody on staff who was the designated rules geek who would have immediately gone to Dusty with the page open to the rule and explained the correct interpretation of the rule. Dusty could've argued more vociferously from a position of strength, and perhaps the umpires might have taken a second look at the rule. Even if the umpires were unmoved it would have given Dusty a reason to play the game under protest.

The outcome of the game may still have been the same.  But it would have been a lot better if the hemorrhaging in the fifth could have been stopped at one run.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
The XM guys pointed out as well that the Nats also failed to challenge the Cubs' catcher blocking the plate in the first inning leading to Turner getting called out at home.  Phillips thought the Nats would have had a pretty good chance of success.

Offline BigMeech

Has playing a game "under protest" ever actually resulted in anything?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

we'll get an apology from the league, and maybe a box of chocolates

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Listening to the radio and someone said in a playoff game, "under protest" means that even though the play is not reviewable the call  creating the playoff "protest" must be looked at right then by NY.

Offline wj73

we'll get an apology from the league, and maybe a box of chocolates

I don't know about you, but I could use a box of chocolates right about now. Especially some expensive liqueur ones. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I've been doing a lot of reading this morning and the consensus in the baseball world seems to be the umpires misinterpreted the interference rule when Baez hit Weiters on the backswing.   

Didn't he hit Weiters on the swing and not the backswing?

Offline nfotiu

Didn't he hit Weiters on the swing and not the backswing?
You are thinking of La Stella getting base by catcher interference, I think?  That catcher interference seems to have been called correctly, but jeez, when's the last time you saw someone get on base like that.

One call I'm surprised isn't being talked about is the wipe out slide on the double play.   That looked pretty clearly like an school textbook break up the double play slide from the jumbotron.  What was the reasoning for them letting that go after reviewing it?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
You are thinking of La Stella getting base by catcher interference, I think?  That catcher interference seems to have been called correctly, but jeez, when's the last time you saw someone get on base like that.

You're right.  I was thinking of that play.

Offline wj73

Listening to the radio and someone said in a playoff game, "under protest" means that even though the play is not reviewable the call  creating the playoff "protest" must be looked at right then by NY.

In essence, forcing a review of a non-reviewable call. If that's true, then the Nats apparent ignorance of some of the more arcane rules is even more egregious.

Offline mitlen

In essence, forcing a review of a non-reviewable call. If that's true, then the Nats apparent ignorance of some of the more arcane rules is even more egregious.

I was kind of shocked when I heard the comment on the radio.   I thought the same thing you posted.   All the folks we have stuffed in the dugout and clubhouse (especially in the post season), rule book knowledge should be somebody's job/specialty.

Offline nfotiu

Is there more confirmation that this is true than the word of someone calling into a radio show?  I've never seen this insta-protest to New York before.

And what was up with Weiters always being in the way this series.  Twice he was hit with backswings, and once he got in the way of a swing.  I haven't seen any of those things more than once or twice a year at best and 2 of them ended up being pretty critical.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Have the umps said they realized there was contact on the backswing but they allowed the play to proceed, or have they said they did not see the contact?  what did they tell dusty at the time?  The video shows the contact, but were they all looking at the ball and not the swing?

Offline mitlen

Is there more confirmation that this is true than the word of someone calling into a radio show?  I've never seen this insta-protest to New York before.

Agreed.    I've been lookin' around for that particular playoff situation.    One of the other comments was the reason Lane went into all the "judgement" comments is because he knew he messed up and he was covering his butt.

Offline trangert418

• Quit Clowning Around

"Pine Tar" game

Offline wj73

Joe Torre confirms today that Jerry Layne blew the backswing interference call, and pointedly states that managers have the right to request a rules check and Dusty never did. Even more inexcusable that no one on staff had enough knowledge of the rules to request a rules check.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/10/26/mlbs-joe-torre-confirms-that-nationals-were-hurt-by-a-blown-call-in-nlds-game-5/

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Joe Torre confirms today that Jerry Layne blew the backswing interference call, and pointedly states that managers have the right to request a rules check and Dusty never did. Even more inexcusable that no one on staff had enough knowledge of the rules to request a rules check.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/10/26/mlbs-joe-torre-confirms-that-nationals-were-hurt-by-a-blown-call-in-nlds-game-5/y

Seriously, anyone bemoaning Dusty being fired just needs read that.  Bill Belichick knows rules inside and out and makes sure everyone on his team knows them as well, it's helped the Patriots win more games than I can lost.  That really makes me angry we have that challenge away  >:(

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Seriously, anyone bemoaning Dusty being fired just needs read that.  Bill Belichick knows rules inside and out and makes sure everyone on his team knows them as well, it's helped the Patriots win more games than I can lost.  That really makes me angry we have that challenge away  >:(

Like this one:

Two hours and 15 minutes prior to kickoff, both teams will be required to bring 24 footballs (12 primary and 12 back-up) to the Officials’ Locker Room for inspection. Two Game Officials, designated by the Referee, will conduct the inspection and record the PSI measurement of each football. The League’s Security Representative will observe the inspection process. Primary game balls for each team will be numbered one through 12, and any game ball within the allowable range of 12.5 PSI to 13.5 PSI will be approved, and the PSI level will not be altered. Any game ball that is determined to be over 13.5 PSI or under 12.5 PSI will either be deflated or inflated to 13.0 PSI.  The same procedure will be followed with respect to the back-up set of game balls for each team.

:whistle:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

Offline NatsAllThe Way

I disagree.  It's impossible to challenge a play you don't see because you're in the middle of a nap.  #FreeDusty

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
It was cold out! ;)

Gotta admit I've used that one before a couple of times....

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Umpire screws up, blame Dusty. Seems right.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Gotta admit I've used that one before a couple of times....

:spit: :lmao:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
I disagree.  It's impossible to challenge a play you don't see because you're in the middle of a nap.  #FreeDusty

:lol:

Offline CowherPower

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/10/26/mlbs-joe-torre-confirms-that-nationals-were-hurt-by-a-blown-call-in-nlds-game-5/

Seriously, anyone bemoaning Dusty being fired just needs read that. 

I just can't blame Dusty on this.  When was the last time anyone has seen a replay challenge on a rule question?  I can honestly say I've never seen it before.  Here's what Torre said, but I've never seen any manager do this: "If you’ve got a question, a rule question — not a judgment question but a rule question — if you don’t like what the umpire’s telling you, ask him for a rules check. And they can do that. They can go to the replay center on the headset and check a rule."