Author Topic: 2017-2018 Off-season Discussion Thread  (Read 106150 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: 2017-2018 Off-season Discussion Thread
« Reply #175: November 03, 2017, 02:29:40 PM »
I was surprised at the report the Nats declined the 5 mill option.  I always assumed Lind would.  Maybe that's a mistake in reporting?  Does that mean that Lind was going to exercise the option had the Nats also exercised on their end?  I'd be curious to get clarity.

I figured at, what, 34...Lind would seek a final multi-year deal as a DH in the AL.  At least get 2 years if not 3.  Cash in on a great 2017.  Maybe if we did decline Rizzo just thinks he can find another Lind reclamation project for the 1 mill he gave Lind in 2016?
do you suppose there may be a wink and a nod to get him off the 40 man roster before the Rule 5 draft, and then to bring him back for multiple years after they put someone on the 60 day DL?  Maybe nothing specific, but let him know an offer is on the table, say he can hunt for better, and he's welcome back.  I do think there will be a FA 1B left over towards late January that we can go in on.  Wouldn't a guy like Moreland be the first LH 1B / OF to sign to get offers in the market?  I think Rizzo thinks he'll be there when we want to sign someone, and, if not, there's always filler.