Author Topic: Mets are buying the Chiefs  (Read 31426 times)

Offline LincolnDD

Re: Mets are buying the Chiefs
« Reply #225: September 12, 2018, 09:29:22 PM »
So where's the Nats freaking AAA team gonna be in 2019 ?

If this article is to be believed, Fresno or San Antonio.  But teams can't sign contracts with new affiliates until next week.

https://wtop.com/washington-nationals/2018/09/where-will-the-nats-triple-a-team-end-up-in-2019/

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #226: September 13, 2018, 10:50:58 AM »
It's not but it's far and away gonna be the best option available. Nats probably need to do whatever it takes to not get stuck in Vegas or Fresno if that wtop story is to be believed.

i haven't heard any of the rangers-nashville chatter here FWIW

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #227: September 13, 2018, 01:09:35 PM »
i haven't heard any of the rangers-nashville chatter here FWIW
I hope it's merely rumor. I wonder where he got that info from because I wasn't able to find it either in a quick google search.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #228: September 13, 2018, 01:52:44 PM »
I hope it's merely rumor. I wonder where he got that info from because I wasn't able to find it either in a quick google search.

Also, some of the information in that article sounds like rationalizations, like the point about Dallas and Nashville both having a lot of Southwest service.  That's true, but the Rangers play in Arlington, which is nearer DFW - where Southwest has zero flights.  The Southwest Dallas operation is all at Love Field, which is a half hour away even if no traffic (and good luck with that).  By contrast, San Antonio is both a 4.5 hour drive and has 11 flights a day to the closer Dallas-area airport to Arlington.

The rumor may well be right, but it's not because of Southwest Airlines, of all things.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #229: September 13, 2018, 01:58:21 PM »
I checked the other day and there are plenty of direct flights from Nashville to DC.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #230: September 13, 2018, 02:19:44 PM »
I checked the other day and there are plenty of direct flights from Nashville to DC.

it's not even a 2-hour flight, either. whenever i fly home i have tons of options from just southwest, no problem. super easy flight and since there's a time zone difference, you can make a call-up in DC at 10 am ET and have a guy on a plane by 1030 AM nashville

people thinking nashville is some far-away land from DC don't get how close it is. it's a 9-hour drive, 90-minute flight.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #231: September 13, 2018, 02:21:43 PM »
it's not even a 2-hour flight, either. whenever i fly home i have tons of options from just southwest, no problem. super easy flight and since there's a time zone difference, you can make a call-up in DC at 10 am ET and have a guy on a plane by 1030 AM nashville

people thinking nashville is some far-away land from DC don't get how close it is. it's a 9-hour drive, 90-minute flight.

I believe VaRK drives it on occasion for hockey games.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #232: September 13, 2018, 02:40:24 PM »
I believe VaRK drives it on occasion for hockey games.

We did...it is certainly doable...but not sure we want to go back there with all the goobers and all...  :D

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #233: September 13, 2018, 02:41:13 PM »
We did...it is certainly doable...but not sure we want to go back there with all the goobers and all...  :D

:lol:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #234: September 13, 2018, 02:41:14 PM »

How do you see over all those 10 gallon hats?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #235: September 13, 2018, 02:43:38 PM »

:whip:

:lmao:

you are banned from visiting nashville now

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #236: September 13, 2018, 02:44:25 PM »
How do you see over all those 10 gallon hats?

It's a pretty hilly downtown area...just walk downhill...both ways...  :D

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #237: September 13, 2018, 04:41:42 PM »

I think the bigger issue is when they're on a road trip to Sacramento and Tacoma and they need a player. Gets a little trickier, no impossible, other teams have done it, but certainly not the preferred scenario.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #238: September 14, 2018, 05:11:05 PM »

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #239: September 14, 2018, 08:44:57 PM »
Nope. They got played by the Mets.

But I don't know that Syracuse is all that much closer than Nashville. and it *sucks* in the spring. Cold until June.

That's insane..

There's gotta be an option within a ~500 mile radius.  Somehow.

Offline catocony

« Reply #240: September 15, 2018, 02:36:15 AM »
Syracuse is half the distance of Nashville, both by car or by air.  Also, all IL games are in the Eastern time zone, and Syracuse is only 3.5 hours or so drive from Harrisburg, which is good for both players and the coordinators/roving instructors. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #241: September 15, 2018, 09:46:51 AM »
Syracuse is half the distance of Nashville, both by car or by air.  Also, all IL games are in the Eastern time zone, and Syracuse is only 3.5 hours or so drive from Harrisburg, which is good for both players and the coordinators/roving instructors.
Also you can watch them on the road in other closer by places such as those in PA. Not that I have done that.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #242: September 15, 2018, 06:54:54 PM »
The Nashville Sounds have notified the A’s that they won’t be partnering next year.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #243: September 15, 2018, 06:58:10 PM »

There's still snow on the ground in early April in Syracuse. :)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #244: September 15, 2018, 06:59:36 PM »
The Nashville Sounds have notified the A’s that they won’t be partnering next year.

The pieces seem to be falling into place...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #245: September 15, 2018, 07:57:46 PM »
how'd they do it?  I hope they took them out for a dinner rather than do it by changing facebook status.  so cruel.

Offline LincolnDD

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #247: September 16, 2018, 01:55:27 AM »
https://www.sfchronicle.com/athletics/article/Sources-A-s-told-they-won-t-be-back-at-13232600.php?utm_campaign=twitter-premium&utm_source=CMS%20Sharing%20Button&utm_medium=social

Second mention of Texas to Nashville, fwiw.

Sure, but I think the Chron just became dimly aware about a month ago that there was a baseball team in Oakland.  That paper is so far up the Giants' asses that the shadow "Crawford" and a fuzzy outline of a number are permanently sunburned into all its staffers' scalps.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #248: September 16, 2018, 01:18:31 PM »
Huh? Slusser is one of the best beat writers in the biz...

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #249: September 16, 2018, 05:39:08 PM »
Huh? Slusser is one of the best beat writers in the biz...

Yes, and her articles are consistently buried deep.  It's not her, it's her bosses.