Author Topic: Mets are buying the Chiefs  (Read 31272 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: Mets are buying the Chiefs
« Reply #200: September 05, 2018, 11:08:54 AM »

LSU is 75 miles away from Norlins.
LSU averaged 11K to their games last season. The Baby Cakes were about half that.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #201: September 05, 2018, 11:13:18 AM »
Nashville has a ton of direct flights into DC every day. Rochester has a handful into Baltimore. That doesn't factor in the PCL vs. IL convo, though.

nashville to dc on southwest is consistently in the $250-$270 range round trip. it's awesome.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #202: September 05, 2018, 11:20:21 AM »
nashville to dc on southwest is consistently in the $250-$270 range round trip. it's awesome.

bigger issue is calling someone up who may be playing further west, but the time zone should help.

Offline blue911

« Reply #203: September 05, 2018, 11:21:50 AM »
LSU averaged 11K to their games last season. The Baby Cakes were about half that.

Which is good for LSU but I seriously doubt that there are more than a handful of days where both teams are at home on the same date. The PCL season doesn't begin until the first week in April and the SEC season ends the third week in May.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #204: September 05, 2018, 11:35:19 AM »
Which is good for LSU but I seriously doubt that there are more than a handful of days where both teams are at home on the same date. The PCL season doesn't begin until the first week in April and the SEC season ends the third week in May.
LSU's hosting games most seasons into early June. My understanding is LSU dominates the sports scene, them and the Saints in New Orleans. LSU always has a huge presensce at the College World Series regardless of whether or not the Tigers make it. I think minor league baseball gets totally swallowed by LSU and the Saints. That would not surprise me at all.

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #205: September 05, 2018, 11:53:38 AM »
Nashville has a ton of direct flights into DC every day. Rochester has a handful into Baltimore. That doesn't factor in the PCL vs. IL convo, though.

Right.  If it is Nashville, there are several pluses over Rochester (and upgrades from Syracuse -- more flights; much nicer stadium/player facilities; better weather, especially early season).  But I imagine the IL would still be the preference, even if it's in the Northeast.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #206: September 05, 2018, 11:54:47 AM »
Of course it is.

Offline blue911

« Reply #207: September 05, 2018, 11:58:21 AM »
LSU's hosting games most seasons into early June. My understanding is LSU dominates the sports scene, them and the Saints in New Orleans. LSU always has a huge presensce at the College World Series regardless of whether or not the Tigers make it. I think minor league baseball gets totally swallowed by LSU and the Saints. That would not surprise me at all.

LSU's schedule for 2018.

https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/lsu-baseball-release-complete-2018-schedule

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #208: September 05, 2018, 12:09:35 PM »
LSU's schedule for 2018.

https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/lsu-baseball-release-complete-2018-schedule
And they're likely to host at least a regional the first weekend in June and it's not uncommon for them to host a super regional the week after...

Offline blue911

« Reply #209: September 05, 2018, 12:21:01 PM »
And they're likely to host at least a regional the first weekend in June and it's not uncommon for them to host a super regional the week after...

That's fine but I would think a roaring nightlife would be a bigger reason than a college 75 miles away.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #210: September 05, 2018, 12:35:00 PM »
That's fine but I would think a roaring nightlife would be a bigger reason than a college 75 miles away.

That and the team plays out in a suburb and the summer weather in New Orleans is beastly.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #211: September 05, 2018, 04:34:23 PM »

LSU is 75 miles away from Norlins.
I mean generally.  And  I know folks who go to LSU baseball games from further away than New Orleans. 

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #212: September 06, 2018, 11:54:24 AM »
Wichita holding a press event right now to announce that the New Orleans franchise has filed the paperwork to request a move to Kansas.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #213: September 06, 2018, 11:58:22 AM »
ESPN 102.5 The Game@1025TheGame
2 hours ago
Mayor Briley: "I did meet with the owners of the (Nationals) not about expansion, but the potential to align with the Sounds to be their triple A team. We've heard several major league teams looking at Nashville with the A's probably trying to get back towards the west coast."

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #214: September 06, 2018, 11:58:58 AM »
https://twitter.com/1025TheGame/status/1037708173870866432

Mayor Briley: "I did meet with the owners of the (Nationals) not about expansion, but the potential to align with the Sounds to be their triple A team. We've heard several major league teams looking at Nashville with the A's probably trying to get back towards the west coast."

:whip:

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #215: September 12, 2018, 05:46:12 PM »
What's happening here, can someone summarize it for me ?

Let's face it, there aren't many Nats fans in upstate NY.  They are damn near Canadians...

I'd love the idea of a AAA team in Anne Arundel county.  Or Richmond.  Where's the AAA team gonna be in 2019 ?

Offline catocony

« Reply #216: September 12, 2018, 05:47:35 PM »
I never made it up to Syracuse but I’d be all about an AAA team in Nashville. Easy flight from DC, fun town, plenty of good food and drink.

Syracuse is a pretty easy drive.  Less than six hours with light traffic.  April stinks but May-September is real nice up there.  Nashville is not a step up for the Nats compared to Syracuse.

Offline catocony

« Reply #217: September 12, 2018, 05:49:23 PM »
PCL. That's going to make it harder to manage. I wonder if they'll park some of their first-up replacements in AA.
No.  It's still important for rookies to get some time in at AAA where half the guys they're playing with and against have time in Bigs. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #218: September 12, 2018, 05:51:46 PM »
Syracuse is a pretty easy drive.  Less than six hours with light traffic.  April stinks but May-September is real nice up there.  Nashville is not a step up for the Nats compared to Syracuse.
It's not but it's far and away gonna be the best option available. Nats probably need to do whatever it takes to not get stuck in Vegas or Fresno if that wtop story is to be believed.

Offline catocony

« Reply #219: September 12, 2018, 06:58:11 PM »
The PCL has chronic movement of it's teams.  Tucson and El Paso seem to each get a team every decade or so and then it moves away.  Up until recently there were teams in Portland, Calgary and Edmonton,

There will not be an AAA team in an exurb like Gwynnett anytime soon.  That has been a disaster for the IL, since it's pretty far from everywhere else and with the Atlanta airport an hour away.  If the IL could build a time machine, they would have denied the move from Richmond. 

One thing that would be interesting would be to move Memphis and Nashville from the PCL to the IL.  They got dumped in the PCL when the American Association disbanded back in the late 90s, but they are geographically a better fit with the IL. 

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #220: September 12, 2018, 08:07:33 PM »
The PCL has chronic movement of it's teams.  Tucson and El Paso seem to each get a team every decade or so and then it moves away.  Up until recently there were teams in Portland, Calgary and Edmonton,

There will not be an AAA team in an exurb like Gwynnett anytime soon.  That has been a disaster for the IL, since it's pretty far from everywhere else and with the Atlanta airport an hour away.  If the IL could build a time machine, they would have denied the move from Richmond. 

One thing that would be interesting would be to move Memphis and Nashville from the PCL to the IL.  They got dumped in the PCL when the American Association disbanded back in the late 90s, but they are geographically a better fit with the IL.

Interestingly enough, the team in El Paso, which moved there from Portland with a brief stop in Tucson, was initially purchased in Portland with the intent of moving it to the San Diego suburbs (that team has been a Padres affiliate throughout all of those moves).

Memphis and Nashville to the IL is an interesting idea, especially with the New Orleans team shifting further west in a few years.

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #221: September 12, 2018, 08:27:51 PM »
It's not but it's far and away gonna be the best option available. Nats probably need to do whatever it takes to not get stuck in Vegas or Fresno if that wtop story is to be believed.

:shock:

I'd seen some wishful thinking from some Rangers fans regarding Nashville, but didn't think there was much to it.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #222: September 12, 2018, 08:43:59 PM »
So where's the Nats freaking AAA team gonna be in 2019 ?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #223: September 12, 2018, 08:46:40 PM »
So where's the Nats freaking AAA team gonna be in 2019 ?

Probably the same place it was this year...1500 South Capitol Street S.E.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.