Author Topic: Mets are buying the Chiefs  (Read 30914 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Mets are buying the Chiefs
« Reply #100: October 12, 2017, 06:35:34 PM »
They roll up the sidewalks about 6:30.
I traveled there early in my career for work. We used to stay outside the city but there was one club we used to frequent somewhere downtown. But generally you are correct.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #101: October 12, 2017, 06:37:12 PM »
I traveled there early in my career for work. We used to stay outside the city but there was one club we used to frequent somewhere downtown. But generally you are correct.

Been there a few times but I remember the late summer of '72.    The Ohio/Pennsylvania HS all-star football game was being played in Hershey.    We stayed in Harrisburg.      By 8 PM, it was over.     We had to improvise.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #102: October 12, 2017, 07:21:05 PM »
Been there a few times but I remember the late summer of '72.    The Ohio/Pennsylvania HS all-star football game was being played in Hershey.    We stayed in Harrisburg.      By 8 PM, it was over.     We had to improvise.
The older guys I worked with (early 80s) took me this place also.  Thick steaks and beer in fishbowls.  All within government per diem; less the alcohol of course.

http://www.pennlive.com/food/index.ssf/2014/04/harrys_tavern_in_harrisburg_th.html

Offline mitlen

« Reply #103: October 12, 2017, 07:28:19 PM »
The older guys I worked with (early 80s) took me this place also.  Thick steaks and beer in fishbowls.  All within government per diem; less the alcohol of course.

http://www.pennlive.com/food/index.ssf/2014/04/harrys_tavern_in_harrisburg_th.html

We used to ring the alcohol up as "salad".     :)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #104: October 12, 2017, 07:33:48 PM »
Damn good salad!!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #105: October 12, 2017, 07:37:11 PM »
Damn good salad!!

Oh brother   ....   went to Tampa once (business).    We had filet and salad three times a day.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #106: October 12, 2017, 07:43:55 PM »

It's all plant-based.  :mg:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #107: October 12, 2017, 10:50:40 PM »
Mets own the Chiefs and the cubs own the Nats. Who’s buying Harrisburg?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #108: October 13, 2017, 03:58:36 PM »
There's already a AA team in Richmond.  So your proposal requires swapping AAA from somewhere else to Harrisburg and having Harrisburg's AA team go somewhere else.  Where is that? Where is the AAA team that is looking to relocate?  Where is the host city for an extra AA team?

- Nats AAA Syracuse moves to Harrisburg

- Nats AA Harrisburg moves to Richmond

- Giants AA team moves to Las Vegas. Or into a good-sized city in CA, like Sacramento.

No AA league west of Texas? Hmmm. What do the Diamondbacks, A's, Rockies, Dodgers, and Mariners do for AA teams? The Mets often had trouble shuttling players between Las Vegas and wherever the Mets were playing. Isn't it just as bad for West Coast and mountain teams?

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #109: October 13, 2017, 04:03:10 PM »
Everyone loves the Eastern League. No reason leave. Proximity isn't an issue in AA -- competition is

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #110: October 13, 2017, 04:03:53 PM »
SLC used to be the Angels.   Not sure if it's still the case.    Dodgers were Albuquerque.

Doyers are OKC and Tulsa now

Offline mitlen

« Reply #111: October 13, 2017, 04:04:45 PM »
Doyers are OKC and Tulsa now

I remember going to the Final Four in '83 and the baseball park was across from The Pit.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #112: October 13, 2017, 05:16:49 PM »
- Nats AAA Syracuse moves to Harrisburg

- Nats AA Harrisburg moves to Richmond

- Giants AA team moves to Las Vegas. Or into a good-sized city in CA, like Sacramento.

No AA league west of Texas? Hmmm. What do the Diamondbacks, A's, Rockies, Dodgers, and Mariners do for AA teams? The Mets often had trouble shuttling players between Las Vegas and wherever the Mets were playing. Isn't it just as bad for West Coast and mountain teams?

Well, they just don't shuttle guys from AA that often, not nearly as often as AAA.  But to answer the question, the A's are in Midland, TX, the Dodgers in Tulsa, Mariners in Little Rock (all Texas League), and the DBacks  are in Jackson, TN (Southern League, which also has the Angels' AA team).   The Rockies are in Hartford.  Also, Sacramento already has a AAA team (specifically, the Giants AAA), so that definitely wouldn't work.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #113: October 30, 2017, 06:52:27 PM »
So help me ground this thread back in reality. As I understand it, the Nationals options now are:

(1) Suck it up and go to Las Vegas
(2) Try to "trade" with another team that might prefer Las Vegas to their current AAA location
(3) Buy another AAA team that isn't owned by its MLB club, and stick that unfortunate MLB club with Las Vegas

The Las Vegas 51's were my first ever minor league experience, back when they were a Blue Jays farm team. Nobody in Las Vegas knows that there's a AAA baseball team there. My cab driver had no idea the stadium existed and I had to give him directions. It's north of the strip, the tram and such doesn't go there. Kinda a sad locale in a city that could totally offer a superior and unique experience if the stadium were elsewhere.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #114: October 30, 2017, 07:16:03 PM »
So help me ground this thread back in reality. As I understand it, the Nationals options now are:

(1) Suck it up and go to Las Vegas
(2) Try to "trade" with another team that might prefer Las Vegas to their current AAA location
(3) Buy another AAA team that isn't owned by its MLB club, and stick that unfortunate MLB club with Las Vegas

The Las Vegas 51's were my first ever minor league experience, back when they were a Blue Jays farm team. Nobody in Las Vegas knows that there's a AAA baseball team there. My cab driver had no idea the stadium existed and I had to give him directions. It's north of the strip, the tram and such doesn't go there. Kinda a sad locale in a city that could totally offer a superior and unique experience if the stadium were elsewhere.

(4) sign a contract with one of the AAA teams that is not Las Vegas and isn’t owned by a mlb team, and let someone else lose the game of musical chairs.  The contracts turn over every few years. That’s how the Nats could get into Nashville or wherever. Oakland (current affiliate) doesn’t have to agree or sign off or anything.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115: October 30, 2017, 07:18:21 PM »
Wouldn’t buying a team be the best long term solution? Otherwise the musical chairs thing will come up again.

Offline whytev

« Reply #116: October 30, 2017, 07:39:25 PM »
(4) sign a contract with one of the AAA teams that is not Las Vegas and isn’t owned by a mlb team, and let someone else lose the game of musical chairs.  The contracts turn over every few years. That’s how the Nats could get into Nashville or wherever. Oakland (current affiliate) doesn’t have to agree or sign off or anything.

Oakland is closer to Vegas. It would suck less for them to be there.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #117: October 30, 2017, 10:08:08 PM »
Wouldn’t buying a team be the best long term solution? Otherwise the musical chairs thing will come up again.

You’d think, but it’s less than half the teams who are set up that way so there’s got to be a reason why they’re not.

Oakland is closer to Vegas. It would suck less for them to be there.

Not even the DBacks want to be in Vegas. The weather is brutal for player development. That’s why we have to beat Oakland to make a deal with Nashville (or maybe we can shake one of those other teams loose but we don’t want to be the last man standing).

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #118: October 31, 2017, 10:03:50 AM »
You’d think, but it’s less than half the teams who are set up that way so there’s got to be a reason why they’re not.

Not even the DBacks want to be in Vegas. The weather is brutal for player development. That’s why we have to beat Oakland to make a deal with Nashville (or maybe we can shake one of those other teams loose but we don’t want to be the last man standing).

I'm wondering whether the A's might be heading to San Antonio once Colorado Springs moves there.  It's a bit closer and the A's AA team is in the Texas League.  That would leave the Nats to fight over Nashville with the Brewers, with the loser getting Vegas.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #119: October 31, 2017, 10:13:30 AM »
I'm wondering whether the A's might be heading to San Antonio once Colorado Springs moves there.  It's a bit closer and the A's AA team is in the Texas League.  That would leave the Nats to fight over Nashville with the Brewers, with the loser getting Vegas.
I believe there is already a Vegas radio station on the Nats network. At least until Bryce leaves.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #120: November 02, 2017, 03:57:44 PM »
Buying a team does make plenty of sense - however there are only 30 AAA franchises and each one of them has an owner that may or may not be willing to sell. Make that 26 - 4 are now owned by their parent clubs (Atlanta/Gwinnett, St. Louis/Memphis and Kansas City/Omaha and the Mets/Syracuse). The relocation of that team would be a whole other process.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/business/2018-minor-league-affiliation-chart/#xQaRkrMEhSXqegtf.97

These affiliation agreements expire in 2/4 year cycles. There are 18 agreements/partnerships that are up for expiration after the 2018 season. And the Nats will have to convince a AAA team to break a existing relationship with its MLB partner. Many of these relationships have gone on for years and will be difficult to arrange that split.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #121: November 02, 2017, 04:26:53 PM »
Nashville isn't one of those, however. They've only been with Oakland since 2015. That might be a logical door to knock on. It is a change of leagues, though.

Buffalo has only been with the Jays since 2013, but that's a logical partner for both, gotta think that would be a tough one to pry open, too.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #122: November 02, 2017, 04:34:05 PM »
Working on Nashville makes a ton of sense. It's a very, very short flight to DC (or a 9 hour drive), multiple direct flights daily. If the Nats did any investment in promotion with the AAA team, they could make some new fans here (the A's do nothing even though going to games is a fun thing to do).

But I'm biased.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #123: November 02, 2017, 04:39:44 PM »
Working on Nashville makes a ton of sense. It's a very, very short flight to DC (or a 9 hour drive), multiple direct flights daily. If the Nats did any investment in promotion with the AAA team, they could make some new fans here (the A's do nothing even though going to games is a fun thing to do).

But I'm biased.
I'd love a PCL team just because that means they'd come through Omaha a couple times a year.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #124: November 02, 2017, 05:54:29 PM »
I know they have been with the Rays for their entire existence, but I want them to go To Durham... I realize it’s unrealistic. But it would be perfect.