Author Topic: Mets are buying the Chiefs  (Read 30929 times)

Offline UMDNats

Re: Mets are buying the Chiefs
« Reply #75: October 10, 2017, 05:46:55 PM »
nashville > dc flight is less than 2 hours. drive is 9. can't imagine the A's like having their AAA team so far away and then we  could get a AAA team in my city. if rizzo doesn't do it then he should be fired imo

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #76: October 10, 2017, 05:47:48 PM »

Standing to challenge and refusing to be paid off (plus resources to pursue it) is a very small (maybe nonexistent) group

Well, as I said above, there is a case challenging the application of the antitrust exemption to minor league baseball with a petition for cert on file at the Supreme Court right now (after losing at both lower levels), so such a plaintiff group indisputably exists. 

Offline nickp91

« Reply #77: October 10, 2017, 06:30:49 PM »
 Lerners should make a HUGE pitch to the Charlotte Knights. It's almost an MLB-sized market with a fancy new downtown stadium

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #78: October 10, 2017, 06:39:53 PM »
Lerners should make a HUGE pitch to the Charlotte Knights. It's almost an MLB-sized market with a fancy new downtown stadium
not a bad idea.  Nashville is a heck of a lot closer to Chicago than Charlotte.  But then UMDNats starts a NWSFF.net

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #79: October 10, 2017, 07:50:36 PM »
Nationals need a future Triple-A home, but it won't be Richmond

http://www.richmond.com/sports/nationals-need-a-future-triple-a-home-but-it-won/article_f7b8fae0-0f52-5dcb-bc61-7f6cfbd5667d.html

So move our AA team here and move the AAA team there.  Easy peasy...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80: October 10, 2017, 08:05:19 PM »
I posted this before. But what about Durham?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #81: October 10, 2017, 11:14:50 PM »
I posted this before. But what about Durham?

It'd be surprising if they dumped Tampa Bay.  They've been together 20 years - the whole time Durham has been AAA and the Rays' entire history - and they're drawing pretty well and are usually pretty good, reflecting the fact that Tampa Bay develops its own players rather than trading top prospects before they reach AAA.  Surprising, but not entirely impossible. 

Unfortunately, they're signed with Chicago through 2020.

not a bad idea.  Nashville is a heck of a lot closer to Chicago than Charlotte.  But then UMDNats starts a NWSFF.net

Plus Nashville is also an almost-MLB-sized market with a new downtown stadium.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #82: October 10, 2017, 11:36:06 PM »
y'all are being so short-sighted. when we suck in 2020 but have a hot-shot prospect raking in AAA, where would you rather visit - boring ass Charlotte or Nashville, with a brand new stadium where tickets are $9 and the rule is to drink your face off?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #83: October 11, 2017, 08:43:38 AM »
y'all are being so short-sighted. when we suck in 2020 but have a hot-shot prospect raking in AAA, where would you rather visit - boring ass Charlotte or Nashville, with a brand new stadium where tickets are $9 and the rule is to drink your face off?
I'd rather listen to bankers talk into their iPhones in a coffee shop than contemporary country music. 

My starting point is work a deal for Nashville with the As, sign a commitment for 2-3 seasons, with an understanding we stay unless there is a backfill / shuffle for an IL team like Charlotte or Rochester.  Threaten Angelos with going after Frederick / Bowie / Norfolk unless he lets us into Waldorf.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #84: October 11, 2017, 09:24:50 AM »
I'd rather listen to bankers talk into their iPhones in a coffee shop than contemporary country music. 

:spit:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #85: October 11, 2017, 09:36:21 AM »
Try this.

My starting point is work a deal for Nashville with the As, sign a commitment for 2-3 seasons, with an understanding we stay unless there is a backfill / shuffle for an IL team like Charlotte or Rochester.  Threaten Angelos with going after Frederick / Bowie / Norfolk unless he lets us into Waldorf.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #86: October 11, 2017, 10:14:24 AM »

nashville is a lot more than country music BTW. All of east nashville and some bars/restaurants in west end are basically all rock/indie/songwriter stuff.

nashville is the best option imo

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #87: October 11, 2017, 11:14:39 AM »
If Baltimore owns the Tidewater Tides, how can they claim Waldorf? Angelos is an imperialist.

Most reasonable solution? As Gettysburg suggests, AAA to Harrisburg, AA to Richmond. Why would SF want a team on the East Coast? The Mets were miserable trying to work with Las Vegas.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #88: October 11, 2017, 02:51:15 PM »
Each MLB team has territorial rights (it varies, based on some grandfathered or waived by the ML/MiLB clubs, but it's supposed to be 50* miles), and Angelos said no to a franchise in Waldorf (which the Nats were interested in, apparently).

Edit: Rule 52 clarifies that a MLB club can block any ML or MiLB club from playing within 15 miles of its territory without permission.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #89: October 11, 2017, 03:09:42 PM »
I'd like to know where the Nats' rights extend- it seems like if Baltimore can claim Waldorf, Richmond and Norfolk should belong to the nats

edit, if it's 50 miles, with a right to exclude, the nats should be able to kick Baltimore out of Bowie and Frederick

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #90: October 11, 2017, 03:09:46 PM »
If Baltimore owns the Tidewater Tides, how can they claim Waldorf? Angelos is an imperialist.

Most reasonable solution? As Gettysburg suggests, AAA to Harrisburg, AA to Richmond. Why would SF want a team on the East Coast? The Mets were miserable trying to work with Las Vegas.

The short response to the question is that there aren't any AA leagues west of Texas, so it almost doesn't matter - anywhere their AA team is would be pretty far away, and Richmond is a good city for AA.  And as I ask everyone: where does the AAA club come from that goes to Harrisburg?  And where does the AA club from Harrisburg go?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #91: October 11, 2017, 05:23:49 PM »
Buy out the Giants, move AA to Richmond, AAA to PA. Only thing that makes sense to me.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #92: October 11, 2017, 05:33:50 PM »
Yep. City Island in Harrisburg is smallish, but nice.  Over a bridge, downtown Harrisburg as a backdrop. Almost like a mini PNC vibe. Of course, it's been there longer than PNC...

Of course, it floods like a mofo every other year. The Nats really should look into investing in Harrisburg. Lots of fans. The Harrisburg radio station (well, one of them) carries the Nats.

Buy out the Giants, move AA to Richmond, AAA to PA. Only thing that makes sense to me.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #93: October 11, 2017, 06:19:11 PM »

There's already a AA team in Richmond.  So your proposal requires swapping AAA from somewhere else to Harrisburg and having Harrisburg's AA team go somewhere else.  Where is that? Where is the AAA team that is looking to relocate?  Where is the host city for an extra AA team?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #94: October 11, 2017, 06:23:02 PM »
Yep. City Island in Harrisburg is smallish, but nice.  Over a bridge, downtown Harrisburg as a backdrop. Almost like a mini PNC vibe. Of course, it's been there longer than PNC...

Of course, it floods like a mofo every other year. The Nats really should look into investing in Harrisburg. Lots of fans. The Harrisburg radio station (well, one of them) carries the Nats.

Harrisburg has a downtown?     :shock:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #95: October 11, 2017, 06:25:16 PM »
Harrisburg has a downtown?     :shock:

Well. It has a low, but attractive, skyline of state buildings.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #96: October 11, 2017, 06:36:40 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Those mayflies though. They are something else. 

But I agree with the Nats investing in HBurg. Run a couple of fan trips, load up a bus of folks from HBurg and bring them to dc. Sell a package deal, bus ticket, game ticket and a dog and a coke for $50, fill up some of those August games against the Marlins or Barves that are always empty, grow some fans. Do the same from DC, take a couple of busses up for a fireworks night, get people more interested in our farm system.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #97: October 11, 2017, 06:45:23 PM »
Yeah. being on an island brings in all sorts of bugs.

Those mayflies though. They are something else. 

But I agree with the Nats investing in HBurg. Run a couple of fan trips, load up a bus of folks from HBurg and bring them to dc. Sell a package deal, bus ticket, game ticket and a dog and a coke for $50, fill up some of those August games against the Marlins or Barves that are always empty, grow some fans. Do the same from DC, take a couple of busses up for a fireworks night, get people more interested in our farm system.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #98: October 11, 2017, 07:59:58 PM »
Well. It has a low, but attractive, skyline of state buildings.

They roll up the sidewalks about 6:30.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #99: October 12, 2017, 09:45:15 AM »
They roll up the sidewalks about 6:30.

And with good reason. It's banks and state buildings, and awful neighborhoods.

Looks nice from City Island, though.