Author Topic: Beating the Cubs  (Read 32848 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Beating the Cubs
« Reply #325: October 10, 2017, 03:49:16 PM »
He always seems too aware of Werth. When someone else is playing LF, he's much less deferential. (Maybe just a mindfact, but I've watched a lot of games.)
I think you are onto something.  A lot of the gap balls where they both go after it seem to be ones that are really the LFs and Taylor holds back if Werth is close. 

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #326: October 10, 2017, 03:51:33 PM »
Not that I heard, but I wasn't paying much attention. None of them are throwing the others under the bus.

I did hear from reporters (Craig Heist, someone else I can't remember) that were at the game, that thought it would have been the LFers ball, not MAT's, based on where they were situated during the at bat. But, of course, it was Werth in LF.

Kendrick or Lind don't catch that ball either.  Robles might have, but it's not like it made sense for him to have been in the game at that point.  The obvious reason we're losing isn't a bloop pop up finding the lucky patch of grass -- it's because the entire team isn't hitting for s**t.   I hope to see a better approach today, but the failure is rooted in a lack of focus on having good at bats, coming from being overwhelmed by the moment.  I think it's the kind of problem that gets worse, not better, by having their backs to the wall.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #327: October 10, 2017, 03:55:18 PM »
You don't have Robles in as a defensive sub? I would have.

Kendrick or Lind don't catch that ball either.  Robles might have, but it's not like it made sense for him to have been in the game at that point.  The obvious reason we're losing isn't a bloop pop up finding the lucky patch of grass -- it's because the entire team isn't hitting for s**t.   I hope to see a better approach today, but the failure is rooted in a lack of focus on having good at bats, coming from being overwhelmed by the moment.  I think it's the kind of problem that gets worse, not better, by having their backs to the wall.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #328: October 10, 2017, 04:02:17 PM »

You don't normally put in a defensive sub unless you're ahead.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #329: October 10, 2017, 04:07:53 PM »
I have him in after Werth's AB in the 6th and have Kintzler start the 7th.  1 run lead.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #330: October 10, 2017, 04:20:22 PM »
I have him in after Werth's AB in the 6th and have Kintzler start the 7th.  1 run lead.
You don't normally put in a defensive sub that early, with that slim a lead. Werth's spot was going to come up again.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #331: October 10, 2017, 04:31:51 PM »

the game was freaking tied!

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #332: October 10, 2017, 04:47:54 PM »
So...why didn't MAT lay out for Rizzo's bloop again?
Probably because he thought he was going to collide with Werth

Online Slateman

« Reply #333: October 10, 2017, 04:48:44 PM »

the game was freaking tied!
Would have had Robles in in the 7th. Frankly, I think Robles catches that ball or holds Zobrist to a single.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #334: October 10, 2017, 04:53:57 PM »

And lest everybody forget, Robles would be playing out of position (he has 46 innings of LF in his professional career (and only 26 above rookie league), including a total of 2 innings in the majors), on the road, in the playoffs, at a park in which he's never played and which has a brick wall behind left field.   Seems to me the more likely defensive sub in LF is Goodwin. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #335: October 10, 2017, 04:56:38 PM »
And lest everybody forget, Robles would be playing out of position (he has 46 innings of LF in his professional career (and only 26 above rookie league), including a total of 2 innings in the majors), on the road, in the playoffs, at a park in which he's never played and which has a brick wall behind left field.   

....  and he could have made the same play Werth did.     Anybody can not get to a pop up.    Hell, I could have done that.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #336: October 10, 2017, 04:58:17 PM »
....  and he could have made the play Werth did.

Edited, but I suspect the more salient question is whether Goodwin would have made the play.  That I tend to think is answered in the affirmative.  Robles, I don't know.  I've seen Robles take very bad lines to balls and take wrong first steps, things that are easier to run your way out of in CF.  But when he gets it right, he catches everything.  Quintana was out of the game, so a left-right switch would have also made sense on offense.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #337: October 10, 2017, 04:59:36 PM »
Edited, but I suspect the more salient question is whether Goodwin would have made the play.  That I tend to think is also answered in the affirmative.  Quintana was out of the game, so a left-right switch would have also made sense on offense.

I'm still of the mind that MAT could have had it.    I don't know   ...   that CF's gotta tell everybody "get the hell out of the way ...  here I come".

Offline spidernat

« Reply #338: October 10, 2017, 05:02:46 PM »
Would have had Robles in in the 7th. Frankly, I think Robles catches that ball or holds Zobrist to a single.

:lmao:  Of course you think that because you're a freaking idiot.

Online Slateman

« Reply #339: October 10, 2017, 05:14:20 PM »

:lmao:  Of course you think that because you're a freaking idiot.

https://streamable.com/fndrr

There's the play. Ball hits two feet in front of the wall and Werth is on the warning track When it lands. Robles would have had the speed to get there. He has a 65 trade arm which probably means it doesn't take three hops to get to second base.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #340: October 10, 2017, 05:19:08 PM »
:crackup:

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #341: October 10, 2017, 05:34:21 PM »
Let's just clone Victor Robles and field a team of Victor Robles clones since he's apparently able to defy physics.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #342: October 10, 2017, 05:38:24 PM »
  Seems to me the more likely defensive sub in LF is Goodwin. 
The more relevant question is why Goodwin wasn't in as a offensive replacement.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #343: October 10, 2017, 06:05:08 PM »
Let's just clone Victor Robles and field a team of Victor Robles clones since he's apparently able to defy physics.

I'm wondering why Slate or his clone Leroy didn't think of this first.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #344: October 10, 2017, 06:06:10 PM »

I'm wondering why Slate or his clone Leroy didn't think of this first.

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste    :hysterical:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #345: October 10, 2017, 06:32:28 PM »
And lest everybody forget, Robles would be playing out of position (he has 46 innings of LF in his professional career (and only 26 above rookie league), including a total of 2 innings in the majors), on the road, in the playoffs, at a park in which he's never played and which has a brick wall behind left field.   Seems to me the more likely defensive sub in LF is Goodwin. 
if goodwin could run I would be fine with that.  I guess I have a lot of confidence in Robles at this point.  I'm not great at judging routes and efficiency, and it might have led to misplays on balls down the line with some hook on them, but I have some confidence in his make up speed. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #346: October 10, 2017, 07:42:47 PM »
Was reading more about Bryant and Harper's friendship.  Apparently their wives are very good friends too.  Yikes!
Is that why he didn't catch Rizzo's pop-up?

Online Slateman

« Reply #347: October 10, 2017, 07:58:46 PM »

Running down a fly ball is defying physics?

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #348: October 10, 2017, 09:04:57 PM »
Running down a fly ball is defying physics?

Keep watching the replay until you reach the correct conclusion.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #349: October 10, 2017, 09:07:40 PM »
I hate that Strasburg isn’t pitching tomorrow. But I’ll try to look at it with rose colored glasses. To win the series you have to beat Hendricks. I think Strasburg pitching makes that more likely.
And Maddon is taking a risk here too. I would say that you use your ace to close out the series if he can go on normal rest. I know the Nats haven’t been playing great, but this is a playoff team that won 97 games. You step on their throat when you have the chance. Is Maddon hoping to get the win so he has Hendricks for game 1 of NLCS? That might prove to be genius. It might end up being dumb. We will have to see. But the law of averages says the more games you play, the more likely that hitting will revert to the form it’s been over 162 games.
I know people here are quick to say the team is gutless and talentless, but I don’t think that’s the case. In many ways the Cubs have been lucky. Luck evens out over many games.