Author Topic: Do you want a cat?  (Read 997 times)

Offline dcpatti

Do you want a cat?
« Topic Start: September 11, 2017, 08:05:07 AM »

Posting this pretty much everywhere because I'm at my wits' end.

This is Hannibal. Hannibal's owner skipped town, leaving Hannibal behind in an apartment full of trash (not quite Hoarders levels of filth thankfully but still pretty bad). Hannibal is really sweet. He's always been a shy cat but he's terrified now and the red couch is his "safe space." Mainly because he can't hide in the closet or under the table because of all the trash :(    I can't keep him-- my two cats and dog make this a very scary place for him. I need to find him a home by Saturday.

We think he's about 12. He's not destructive and  he has fairly good litter manners which will probably improve with a more responsible owner. We don't think he's been to a vet in a couple of years so my husband and I will be happy to cover a well-pet visit and vaccines. He's in DC but if you want him and you're elsewhere, we'll find a way to get him transported.

He really deserves a safe and loving home; it's not his fault that his previous owner sucks. Can anyone here help give him a home?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Re: Do you want a cat?
« Reply #1: September 11, 2017, 12:37:57 PM »
That poor baby, I so hope you can find a home for him :(  also, there is a special place in hell for people who could abandon their pet :evil:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2: September 11, 2017, 09:08:25 PM »
Oh FFS.  Oh this is going to keep me up at night.  I have two very change-averse senior cats (18 and 15,  basically why we stopped fostering young 'uns a couple of years ago).  freak.  Twelve sucks because they probably have a big chunk of their life left and most shelters will put down any owner turn-in over 10  :( 

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #3: September 11, 2017, 09:20:02 PM »
Yeah I'm having a really hard time with this too, because we tried integrating this kitty into our home about 1.5 years ago and it just didn't work at all. His owner (or rather, former owner) stayed with us for a few months and Hannibal pretty much lived behind the furnace the whole time. But it's REALLY hard to get anyone to take one adult cat. Really hard. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #4: September 11, 2017, 09:25:08 PM »
I'm so sorry.  I am a true cat person, but my condo has rules that prohibits dog and cats.  That, and with my dad, i'm out of town an awful lot.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #5: September 11, 2017, 09:31:53 PM »
Oof.  He's probably got to be an only critter.  I fostered a few of those, had to totally put them in the top floor seg unit or it was mayhem.   

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #6: September 11, 2017, 09:44:12 PM »
He used to live with another cat, years ago; the big issue at my house is my orange kitty, who is a bossy mean bully, and the dog, who is nice as pie but still exists and his mere existence is enough to scare this kitty.  He would probably be ok with another cat if it were a nice cat/ not super territorial or aggressive.   

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #7: September 11, 2017, 09:49:42 PM »
I can't say for sure, but you might be able to get some help from Homeward Trails. They are the group we used to foster for and rescue a lot of cats. It's heartbreaking that someone could do this, but we hear about so much bad crap that happens to them. At least he has you to help find him somewhere safe. If you PM me I can give you someone to contact directly.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #8: September 11, 2017, 09:53:05 PM »
I actually used to have a Homeward Trails doggo! But I think they do not do local intake and only adopt out pets they get from South Carolina and Virginia. I'll email them just in case!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #9: September 11, 2017, 11:00:25 PM »
Good luck dcpatti.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #10: September 11, 2017, 11:30:49 PM »
I actually used to have a Homeward Trails doggo! But I think they do not do local intake and only adopt out pets they get from South Carolina and Virginia. I'll email them just in case!

I'm pretty sure they do local intakes where the owners have cut and run or died. But def look into it. Let me know if I can help.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #11: September 12, 2017, 10:35:17 AM »
I'm pretty sure they do local intakes where the owners have cut and run or died. But def look into it. Let me know if I can help.

We need more Frau on the WNFFs!

Offline imref

« Reply #12: September 12, 2017, 11:00:37 AM »
one other option - check with FOHA.org - Friends of Homeless Animals in Middleburg VA.  Maybe they can take him.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #13: September 12, 2017, 05:46:46 PM »
We need more Frau on the WNFFs!

You're sweet, Minty. Thanks! I do miss you guys, maybe all I needed was a critter in peril...

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #14: September 12, 2017, 08:42:52 PM »

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #15: September 13, 2017, 11:09:58 AM »
Fingers crossed... I might have found a friend of a friend to give Hannibal a test run with her resident cat. Praying they get along ok....

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #16: September 13, 2017, 11:51:46 AM »
Fingers crossed!!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #17: September 13, 2017, 12:27:08 PM »
Fingers crossed... I might have found a friend of a friend to give Hannibal a test run with her resident cat. Praying they get along ok....

:pray:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #19: September 13, 2017, 09:52:43 PM »
My cat has very similar color and markings. Heartbreaking to see this.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #20: September 13, 2017, 10:16:31 PM »
Not a cat person but some people are just the lowest.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #21: September 15, 2017, 06:47:26 PM »
My cat Ivan is a tuxedo cat. Looks like him sans the Hitler stache.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22: October 20, 2017, 10:20:49 PM »
There is a cat that sleeps in my porch every night. It doesn’t even budge anymore when we walk by and go into the house. It’s been there every day for the past 2 weeks. I’m considering taking it in. Is this a good idea? How should I go about this?

Offline imref

« Reply #23: October 20, 2017, 10:59:42 PM »
There is a cat that sleeps in my porch every night. It doesn’t even budge anymore when we walk by and go into the house. It’s been there every day for the past 2 weeks. I’m considering taking it in. Is this a good idea? How should I go about this?

Have you checked with neighbors to see if it belongs to anyone?  is there a community facebook group? 

If you are sure he's a stray, take him to the vet and see if he's got a chip.  If not, have him fully examined and vaccinated.  Then he's yours.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #24: October 20, 2017, 11:19:14 PM »
Have you checked with neighbors to see if it belongs to anyone?  is there a community facebook group? 

If you are sure he's a stray, take him to the vet and see if he's got a chip.  If not, have him fully examined and vaccinated.  Then he's yours.

+1 to all of this, plus most of the neighborhoods have Yahoo groups (you’re in Petworth if memory serves me) and nextdoor groups. Post a photo and see if anyone knows him. If you need to get him into a carrier, you may want to scoop him into a pillowcase first and then dump the pillowcase into the carrier. If you do take him in, try to confine him to a bathroom or bedroom for the first many days till he gets used to you; you don’t want him to bolt for the door the minute it’s opened and cats do weird stuff when they’re scared.

BTW after 32 days, Hannibal has finally started creeping out from under the bed at his new mama’s house and has cautiously allowed new mama to pet him. Resident cat isn’t exactly thrilled, but the hissing has been fairly minimum, so I think it is going to work out over there :) thank goodness, because it is VERY hard to find someone to adopt an older kitty.