Author Topic: Nationals vs Phillies, Game 2  (Read 6669 times)

Offline nfotiu

Re: Nationals vs Phillies, Game 2
« Reply #75: September 08, 2017, 08:33:31 PM »
Yes it does.
Wasn't there a period of baseball where there weren't really walls, and all HRs were basically in the park?  I thought Ruth was around the beginning of the era of hitting balls over fences.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #76: September 08, 2017, 08:33:35 PM »

Smithian, how do we post the GIF of you at wrigley?

(colon)gunz(colon)

:gunz:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77: September 08, 2017, 08:33:40 PM »
That number seems high. Hmm.

Very few things are rare in baseball. There are just sooooomany games.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #78: September 08, 2017, 08:35:34 PM »
Very few things are rare in baseball. There are just sooooomany games.

correct

(colon)gunz(colon)

:gunz:

thanks mitlen

Offline mitlen

« Reply #79: September 08, 2017, 08:37:16 PM »

thanks mitlen

I don't know much about gif's but Smithian's one of my favorites.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #80: September 08, 2017, 08:37:57 PM »
He's not havin' a good day.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #81: September 08, 2017, 08:38:02 PM »
From the Nationals media contingent on the tweeters:
- That was the last inside the park grand slam since 2015 when Aaron Altherr did it vs. the Nats when, you guessed it, MAT misplayed a ball and it rolled all the way to the wall. MAT had a bases clearing trip around the base paths later that year vs. the Mets when Cespedes misplayed a ball and it rolled to the wall as well, that was ruled a 4 base error, however.
- The first ITPGS in franchise history was by some dude named Bambo Rivera. On base when he did that? Phillies manager Pete Mackanin.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #82: September 08, 2017, 08:38:52 PM »
Wasn't there a period of baseball where there weren't really walls, and all HRs were basically in the park?  I thought Ruth was around the beginning of the era of hitting balls over fences.

Somewhat correct but at some point, even before Ruth, stadiums had walls but they were positioned so far from home plate, and the ball was not as lively as it became during the live ball era, that most players could not hit homers that cleared the fence.

Offline dlayman

« Reply #83: September 08, 2017, 08:40:41 PM »
I think Taylor has played himself into a starting spot next year. We can spend money on pitching and catching.

MAT passes the eye test,  stats don't always tell the story.  Same with Robles.   When you've personally seen these guys in the minors it tells you a lot,.  There is a big difference between the guys that can do it and those that cannnot.  MAT  is well passed the corner, even if it isn't it in the old school fashion.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #84: September 08, 2017, 08:42:09 PM »
MAT passes the eye test,  stats don't always tell the story.  Same with Robles.   When you've personally seen these guys in the minors it tells you a lot,.  There is a big difference between the guys that can do it and those that cannnot.  MAT  is well passed the corner, even if it isn't it in the old school fashion.

And becoming a good CF'er too.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #85: September 08, 2017, 08:47:08 PM »
mitlen when Taylor drives in the winning run in the playoffs you'll have to consummate your phrase about him.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #86: September 08, 2017, 08:47:38 PM »
How close did MAT come to catchin' Wieters?

Offline dlayman

« Reply #87: September 08, 2017, 08:49:19 PM »
A REAL GOOD One.  MAT is someone we shouldn't give up on eaisly.  He was once regarded as a special talent. , and he is starting to fulfill that promise.   He has, IMO, earned the status of "turned the corneer".  I hope BG can do the same.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #88: September 08, 2017, 08:50:49 PM »
A REAL GOOD One.  MAT is someone we shouldn't give up on eaisly.  He was once regarded as a special talednt, and he is starting to fulfill that promise.   He has, IMO, earned the status of "turned the corneer".  I hope BG can do the same.

"Turned the corner" requires a 2/3 vote by the Board of Directors.       :couch:

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #89: September 08, 2017, 08:51:38 PM »
That number seems high. Hmm.
It's 226, because it missed the one in 2015.  Maybe it's wrong.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060801185517AA6bB09

Only 40 or so after 1950.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #90: September 08, 2017, 08:52:13 PM »
That’s the first inside the park home run I’ve seen while i was inside the park...

Congrats!

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91: September 08, 2017, 08:53:10 PM »

And becoming a good CF'er too.

Becoming? He’s a plus plus defender right now.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #92: September 08, 2017, 08:55:25 PM »
Who was that takin' Kim's gear?

Offline dlayman

« Reply #93: September 08, 2017, 08:59:28 PM »
"Turned the corner" requires a 2/3 vote by the Board of Directors.       :couch:

Nah, only if we think this is a BEUOCRACY, that can't sustain itself unless there are are special votes and rules to self propogate.   Mitlen, I'm a homeboy of yours geographically.  You're a good guy, but old school and stubborn, like me. .  MAT HAS turned the corner!!,

Offline mitlen

« Reply #94: September 08, 2017, 09:00:45 PM »
Nah, only if we think this is a BEUOCRACY, that can't sustain itself unless there are are special votes and rules to self propogate.   Mitlen, I'm a homeboy of yours geographically.  You're a good guy, but old school and stubborn, like me. .  MAT HAS turned the corner!!,

Gimme a county/town if you can.    We may have been neighbors.    Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste we may be related.

BTW   ....  I am the Board.    :)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #95: September 08, 2017, 09:10:31 PM »
It's almost Robles time.

Offline dlayman

« Reply #96: September 08, 2017, 09:10:46 PM »
Cambria County.  Johnstown.  Not quite in your backyard maybe,  but allegiances still the same.  I grew up  listening to Bob Prince on the radio  and Veale pitching and  I was heartbroken when RC died on a mission of mercy.  And Good God, Mylo, replacing him.  Cllint Hurdle was an idol of mine with the Royals when I lived in MO. and he was a buddy of George  Brett (and got him into trouble).

Offline mitlen

« Reply #97: September 08, 2017, 09:14:25 PM »
Cambria County.  Johnstown.  Not quite in your backyard maybe,  but allegiances still the same.  I grew up  listening to Bob Prince on the radio  and Veale pitching and  I was heartbroken when RC died on a mission of mercy.  And Good God Mylo, replacing him.  Cllint Hurdle was an idol of mine with the Royals when I lived in MO. and he was a buddy of George  Brett (and got him into trouble).

Yeah, you're east of the city and I'm west but we could still be related.    :)     I was at a New Years Eve party in Aliquippa the night RC died.    We were stunned.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #98: September 08, 2017, 09:15:36 PM »
freak, looks like I've missed a good game so far.

Offline dlayman

« Reply #99: September 08, 2017, 09:19:22 PM »
I'm probably a little bit younger, but his death hit me just as hard.  RC wlil  never be equaled.  A truly one of a kind man.  I wouldn't trade my autographed glove and the handsake for anything.    I'm glad we found common ground with the Nats.