Author Topic: Out of Town Ballparks  (Read 24794 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Out of Town Ballparks
« Reply #250: June 20, 2024, 02:47:43 PM »
It was the only source of DC baseball pride I could cling to before 2019. :lol:

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: The Former Nationals Watch (2024)
« Reply #251: June 27, 2024, 05:10:10 PM »
Speaking of great former Nats pitchers, Chad Kuhl starting today for the White Sox. Their tank is clearly on.

What is wrong with that organization? They sit on the South Side in a big city, a long distance from the team on the North-Side. They should have money. Why did they fall apart?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Re: The Former Nationals Watch (2024)
« Reply #252: June 27, 2024, 07:51:58 PM »
What is wrong with that organization? They sit on the South Side in a big city, a long distance from the team on the North-Side. They should have money. Why did they fall apart?

The Cubs have Wrigley, and the White Sox have...probably the worst stadium built in the 1990s.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #253: June 27, 2024, 11:03:07 PM »
The Cubs have Wrigley, and the White Sox have...probably the worst stadium built in the 1990s.

When you go to Wrigley you get a nostalgic feeling. It's a nice atmosphere around the stadium and a pleasure to go to.

When we took the subway to the Sox stadium there was a guy with his pants down and a whole different atmosphere. I think the stadium is fine but not the area around it or the feeling in it. Still, the Sox have been mismanaged and although they reached the playoffs in 2020 and 2021 they haven't been relevant in a long time.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #254: July 01, 2024, 12:59:13 PM »
I really like the White Sox stadium experience. But the area around it is bad. 2008 Navy Yard bad. Maybe worse. Safety aside, just zero to do.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #255: July 09, 2024, 03:40:15 PM »
I'm going to the Miami Marlins stadium on July 25th. It's a 12:10 game. Does anybody know if they typically shut the roof during day games? If they don't I'll need to figure out what the shady side of the stadium is. I don't want to sit in the Florida sun all afternoon.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #256: July 09, 2024, 04:32:33 PM »
Do they ever open the roof?  Does it even open?  We probably won't know until the Marlins next WS appearance.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #257: July 09, 2024, 04:59:17 PM »
I'm going to the Miami Marlins stadium on July 25th. It's a 12:10 game. Does anybody know if they typically shut the roof during day games? If they don't I'll need to figure out what the shady side of the stadium is. I don't want to sit in the Florida sun all afternoon.
I went last year same time. It was shut. Basically shut all summer for the heat and storms.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #258: July 09, 2024, 05:01:25 PM »
There’s a bar out past CF where they had cheap “teal” color bud lights before game time. Not sure why the teal color. If you can take some food dye it’s a good deal. I parked in the lot right next to stadium and was not that costly.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #259: July 09, 2024, 11:52:25 PM »
There’s a bar out past CF where they had cheap “teal” color bud lights before game time. Not sure why the teal color. If you can take some food dye it’s a good deal. I parked in the lot right next to stadium and was not that costly.

Thanks for the info about the roof (happy about that), the bar and the parking. I didn't think about asking about the parking. Good to know it won't be an issue. I think I remember hearing that stadium is where the Orange Bowl used to be but I could be wrong.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #260: July 10, 2024, 12:48:03 AM »
Went to a game there years ago. You’ll drive through neighborhoods on the way to the stadium where everyone is trying to sell space on their front lawns for parking.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #261: July 10, 2024, 10:23:55 AM »
Went to a game there years ago. You’ll drive through neighborhoods on the way to the stadium where everyone is trying to sell space on their front lawns for parking.

I heard it might not be the best neighborhood. When I go to a Nats game I park north of the stadium. When we went July 4th a street we usually use to get there was blocked off. We ended up driving across from the stadium on the SW side of South Capital street. There were people over there with signs for parking in an alley or maybe in yards. They were pretty much charging for what I could pay in lot T. I guess a shorter walk was the attraction.

• babble on
« Reply #262: July 10, 2024, 10:30:21 AM »
Yep, Orange Bowl.  At the risk of dating myself, I went to the game at the Orange Bowl where #3 Hurricanes beat #1 Nebraska (with Brian Bosworth), pretty much sealing the Heisman for Vinny Testaverde.  The immediate neighbourhood has not changed much since then, lots of concrete front yards with caja china roasting boxes for the weekly pigout.
Thanks for the info about the roof (happy about that), the bar and the parking. I didn't think about asking about the parking. Good to know it won't be an issue. I think I remember hearing that stadium is where the Orange Bowl used to be but I could be wrong.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #263: July 10, 2024, 03:10:10 PM »
At the risk of dating myself...

Interesting concept - at least you'll know what to order for dinner... :D   ;)

• babble on
« Reply #264: July 10, 2024, 04:00:51 PM »
"Table for 1...Mr & Mrs Onan"

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #265: July 10, 2024, 04:32:39 PM »
:0)