Author Topic: Nationals @ Marlins, Game 1  (Read 6234 times)

Offline Leroy Veritas

Re: Nationals at Marlins, Game 1
« Reply #275: September 05, 2017, 12:04:16 AM »
It also means you get the wild card team in the first round.

I'd rather have the Cubs than the Diamondbacks.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #276: September 05, 2017, 12:09:35 AM »
I'd rather have the Cubs than the Diamondbacks.

You might not get the Diamondbacks and simply having to play the wild card game is a huge disadvantage.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #277: September 05, 2017, 04:39:10 AM »
As usual, Spider focuses on the negative.  Odds of winning at home are still larger than on the road and the fans enjoy the game more.

Even if they advanced that far, the only ones who would benefit from it would be the Lerners by getting an extra home date. It's not like home field has proven to help this team advance in the past. I don't understand why people are so obsessed with it. It just affords us the opportunity (agony) of watch a visiting team swarm the mound in celebration of clinching the series.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #278: September 05, 2017, 06:22:54 AM »
The manager doesn't understand how to handle a pitching staff. Never has. All 3 worked on Saturday.
Maybe the manager is privy to information also like if the guys want to work every other day at least going into the playoffs.
Either way they are going to have almost a week off before the playoffs.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #279: September 05, 2017, 06:36:21 AM »
Comparative dates on which the Nationals notched their 83rd win, each season:

2012 - 4th September (135th match of season)
2017 - 4th September (137th match of season)
2016 - 9th September (141st match)
2014 - 11th September (145th match)
2013 - 20th September (154th match)
2015 - 3rd October (161st match) - final win of season

---

2005 - finished 81-81
2011 - finished 80-81
2007 - finished 73-89
2006 - finished 71-91
2010 - finished 69-83
2008 - finished 59-102
2009 - finished 59-103

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #280: September 05, 2017, 09:40:33 AM »
It also means you get the wild card team in the first round.

According to some here, it's better to be the wild card team because the stay active. Besides, it's not like that would make a difference to the Nats chances.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #281: September 05, 2017, 09:43:27 AM »
As usual, Spider focuses on the negative.  Odds of winning at home are still larger than on the road and the fans enjoy the game more.

The Nationals are 2-6 in playoff home games.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #282: September 05, 2017, 09:56:25 AM »

...and I have been at the Park for half of their losses, and none of their wins...

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #283: September 05, 2017, 09:59:12 AM »

Across 3 different years, which makes it not really one small sample but three tiny ones, two of which involved Drew Storen flushing games down the toilet (one with the unerring help of Williams).

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #284: September 05, 2017, 10:01:24 AM »
Across 3 different years, which makes it not really one small sample but three tiny ones, two of which involved Drew Storen flushing games down the toilet (one with the unerring help of Williams).

It has become a fall tradition...much like corn field mazes...

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #285: September 05, 2017, 10:07:34 AM »

I'm sitting here at my desk, years later, and I can still remember telling my wife as soon as Williams came out of the dugout that we were going to lose, and the memory still makes me mad.  If I were the Lerners, I would have fired Williams immediately after that game.  Zimmermann had pitched a no-hitter in his previous start and was pitching better in the playoff one (I was at both).   

I've gone to about 5 games since then (no sh!t, that's how awful that was).  Matt Williams can do one, the rock-brained bovine.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #286: September 05, 2017, 10:12:58 AM »

...or the Capitals spring tradition of playoff collapses...or (returning to the fall) Mystics playoff collapses (have not won playoff series since 2002, and this year's WNBA playoffs start tomorrow).

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #287: September 05, 2017, 10:17:27 AM »
How many people on this forum ride motorcycles? I feel like it’s everyone....

EYES ONLY

WNFF is a cover for a notorious motorcycle gang.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #288: September 05, 2017, 10:18:45 AM »

Yeah, rationalize it away and you can pretend it didn't happen.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #289: September 05, 2017, 10:33:36 AM »
I'm sitting here at my desk, years later, and I can still remember telling my wife as soon as Williams came out of the dugout that we were going to lose, and the memory still makes me mad.

I've gone to about 5 games since then (no sh!t, that's how awful that was).  Matt Williams can do one, the rock-brained bovine.

We were at both as well...and both are rather vivid memories...

I believe I told my wife the same thing...of course, she already knew...as did 40,000+ other people in attendance.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #290: September 05, 2017, 10:34:06 AM »

EYES ONLY

WNFF is a cover for a notorious motorcycle gang.

:couch:

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #291: September 05, 2017, 10:34:16 AM »

Yeah, rationalize it away and you can pretend it didn't happen.

The point is that it was three train wrecks, not one.  I was at Game 5 in 2012 and the 18 inning monstrosity as well.  I wish I could pretend that either of those didn't happen.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #292: September 05, 2017, 11:36:27 AM »
...and I have been at the Park for half of their losses, and none of their wins...
Even I had a win last year.

Offline mdnatsfan

« Reply #293: September 05, 2017, 12:06:02 PM »
I'm sitting here at my desk, years later, and I can still remember telling my wife as soon as Williams came out of the dugout that we were going to lose, and the memory still makes me mad.  If I were the Lerners, I would have fired Williams immediately after that game.  Zimmerman had pitched a no-hitter in his previous start and was pitching better in the playoff one (I was at both).   

I was watching that game at home. It was  travesty of the first order. And he should have been crapcanned immediately. No doubt about it.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #294: September 05, 2017, 12:07:21 PM »
I was watching that game at home. It was  travesty of the first order. And he should have been crapcanned immediately. No doubt about it.

I've erased that game from my memory.    I swear I can't remember where I was during that game.    I don't remember him taking Z'nn out.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #295: September 05, 2017, 12:31:26 PM »
I've erased that game from my memory.    I swear I can't remember where I was during that game.    I don't remember him taking Z'nn out.

There was only one person that thought it was a good idea at the time...though he somehow convinced Rizzo later.

It's almost like he told Knorr..."Watch this...hold my beer."

Offline awbb

« Reply #296: September 05, 2017, 03:04:43 PM »
There was only one person that thought it was a good idea at the time...though he somehow convinced Rizzo later.

It's almost like he told Knorr..."Watch this...hold my beer."

Was that the game where it was rationalised that Posey had almost got a hit off Zimmermann in his previous at bat? I can't remember if there was a base open or not so could have pitched around Posey and gone back to mowing down the rest of them.

If so, yes. A maroon.

Then there was the nonsense about the "7th inning guy" that I am just waiting for Rusty to pull with Kintzler at some point.

Scraps

« Reply #297: September 05, 2017, 03:54:00 PM »
How many people on this forum ride motorcycles? I feel like it’s everyone....

I ride and have NEVER missed out on a biker wave.  :crazy:

Offline stealyerbase

• YUMMY! Good for you too!
« Reply #298: September 05, 2017, 06:18:27 PM »
Somehow the wife and I have been in the park for both the playoff wins and none of the losses.  :koolaid: :shrug:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #299: September 05, 2017, 07:04:02 PM »
I'm sitting here at my desk, years later, and I can still remember telling my wife as soon as Williams came out of the dugout that we were going to lose, and the memory still makes me mad.  If I were the Lerners, I would have fired Williams immediately after that game.  Zimmermann had pitched a no-hitter in his previous start and was pitching better in the playoff one (I was at both).   

Ah, Elvir, you should have been in the stands for inning after extra inning as the wind whipped up and the temperature dropped and...and...