Author Topic: So, do we have an MLB catcher near the majors?  (Read 1105 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
So, do we have an MLB catcher near the majors?
« Topic Start: September 04, 2017, 12:39:15 PM »
For the scouting and system followers - Do any of Severino, S. Kieboom, or Raudy Reed figure to be our back up catcher next year?  Do any of these guys figure to be MLB regulars?   I'm guessing Weiters grabs the money and is back in 2018 and that Lobby moves on, so that means an internal replacement, I think.  I'm guessing Severino is the closest, but is he viewed as a regular candidate?   Has Kieboom restored some luster with his AAA hitting?  How close is Reed?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Re: So, do we have an MLB catcher near the majors?
« Reply #1: September 04, 2017, 02:22:10 PM »
I've read Pedro Severino is a very good defensive prospect. His bat hasn't been great in the minors but he has been solid in a small sample in the show. I think he has more potential than Lobaton but I understand letting Severino play every day while having Lobaton as a veteran backup who doesn't need a lot of playing time.

Raudy Read has some potential with the bat but is still in AA.

I want Severino to be the backup next season with the expectation he is auditioning to be opening day catcher in 2019.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2: September 04, 2017, 06:13:21 PM »
Read got called up.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #3: September 05, 2017, 12:17:57 AM »
A name like Rudy Reed; if he doesn't make it in MLB with that moniker I hear the WWE or whatever they call it now...calling

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #4: September 05, 2017, 08:48:02 AM »
A name like Rudy Reed; if he doesn't make it in MLB with that moniker I hear the WWE or whatever they call it now...calling
I call him Rowdy Raudy Reed.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #5: September 05, 2017, 10:41:25 AM »
Severino

Offline whytev

« Reply #6: September 05, 2017, 01:08:37 PM »
Pedro is an upgrade as a backup catcher.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #7: September 05, 2017, 02:02:22 PM »
I didn't think Read was likely to be more than a fringe type when I saw him in Potomac a few times, but that was before he hit a bunch of homers (relatively) for a catcher in AA.  Defense was ok in all respects, not great or bad in any area, so he's not a classic defense-first backup type.

Strangely, his offensive numbers seem to be getting better each season since Hagerstown, even as he moves up, which is a great sign.  I wouldn't think he's a candidate for OD next year, but I could always be wrong.  If the organization thinks he's the prospect, not Severino, it would make sense for Severino to keep the bench warm in the majors and see if Read can continue to improve offensively.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #8: September 05, 2017, 02:07:17 PM »

Oddly, and this may be a mindfact, but it seems that Pedro has done better in the Bigs than he has in the minors...

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #9: September 05, 2017, 03:48:11 PM »
Oddly, and this may be a mindfact, but it seems that Pedro has done better in the Bigs than he has in the minors...

At the plate:
Definitely not a mindfact, his MLB OPS is .923, Minors .633.
Lobaton has a Nats career OPS of .581, but that might be about what you can expect out of Severino over time, at least he has potential.

Lobaton is an above average defensive catcher though, and that's probably the most you can reasonably ask out of your backup catcher.

It's awesome if they have one other average skill, Read looks like he has a bit of power, Severino has good speed for a catcher. I think Kieboom is a bit
better a hitter than Loby. I love Kiebooms defense from seeing him in the spring and stuff.

None of them strike out an outrageous amount in the minors, which could be a plus.