Author Topic: Miller Park Visit  (Read 2515 times)

Offline dcpatti

Miller Park Visit
« Topic Start: September 02, 2017, 01:47:59 PM »
Sat here Friday night

Right Field Patio section that used to be called ATI Deck and before that Air Tran Flight Deck. This section is usually sold out to private parties but if the group isn't big enough to fill the whole thing, they sell single tickets. $75 gets you a GA seat in here, buffet (nachos, BBQ, dogs, that kind of thing, nothing fancy but it was all pretty good) and 2 beers (crappy selection of Miller Lite, MGD or Blue Moon-- what is it with these "premium" sections and their craptastic beer choices?!). Fantastic perspective on the game but a bit hard to follow the action at the plate; there are a bunch of TV's which helps.  I'm glad we tried these seats and I'd sit here again but probably not my first choice.

It's right next to the visitor bullpen but most photos didn't come out due to the glare off of the plexiglass and the dirt on it. They really need to wash those windows. Here's one good one though.

Most of the fans were very nice but there were a few who needed a slap, including a group of 4-5 really drunk guys who were heckling the players really badly and generally being douchey.

I'll have more info about food/drink/seats etc after we go tonight, we are sitting on the 2nd or 3rd level behind home plate.

Location suuuuuucks, if you don't have a car then you're kinda screwed, can't imagine what people did before Uber but there is a whole lot of drinking and driving going on post-game. City bus is your only public transportation option and it looks like almost everyone drives.

They closed the roof before the game started and I think it's a much nicer place with it open than with it closed. Still, it's a really nice park. Hopefully we can find our offense tonight for Max.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Miller Park Visit
« Reply #1: September 02, 2017, 01:51:31 PM »
I believe Natsinpwc is gonna be there today.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2: September 02, 2017, 02:25:08 PM »
"Selig's folly"

Looks nice, but I kinda feel like a Wisconsin team should always play in the elements (and the fans should be shivering on concrete bleachers).

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #3: September 02, 2017, 02:31:05 PM »
"Selig's folly"

Looks nice, but I kinda feel like a Wisconsin team should always play in the elements (and the fans should be shivering on concrete bleachers).

The newest bleachers in Lambeau are heated...

• babble on
« Reply #4: September 02, 2017, 02:36:38 PM »
sacrilege!
The newest bleachers in Lambeau are heated...

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #5: September 03, 2017, 10:06:15 AM »
A few more pics from the RF Patio. It's a really great place to sit if you have a good camera and want to take some photos.

you're very close to RF but you'll get better photos if you've got a real camera and not an iPhone. For reference, when Brewers' RF Phillips made his jumping catch on  Saturday night, he bounced off of the RF fence and probably scared the crap out of some fans. Good thing we had seats elsewhere Saturday or we would have told Jayson how we felt about that bonehead play  :evil:

Primo spot for taking pics of the visitor bullpen.

On Saturday we sat in Sec 336 "Infield Club". The sections up here are pretty small, only 8 or 9 rows with only 11 seats per row, and I like that a lot. Less traffic across the rows (although my view still managed to get blocked by The Selfie Family during some key plays). The view is really good and there's extra leg room which is always a plus. There's also a server taking orders for pay-as-you-go food and drink. This is a mixed benefit, because the selection is really underwhelming and the food itself is good as if you'd gotten something fresh from the concessions, but there are very few concessions on the Club level, so to get something nice, you have to go down at least one level (and the stairs/escalator is halfway down the concourse to boot), In other words, it's the Camden Yards approach. We stuck with lame burgers brought to us because we didn't want to miss any of the game. Lesson learned.

Beer prices are not much cheaper than Nats Park, $8 for a Miller-family draft, $8.50 for a can and $9.50 for a craft beer can. We tried some good local stuff including Third Space Brewing's Happy Place IPA which I think is my new favorite.

I love their scoreboard. It's crisp and clear and has a lot of useful facts, but doesn't try to cram in a whole Wikipedia article like San Diego does.

The fan base is ... weird. No better word for it. Both nights we've seen a LOT of really drunk people which I'm sure is related to the pregame tailgating, at least for some of them. They heckle a LOT. They were merciless to Werth (even on Friday, before he did The Dumb Thing) -- anyone remember any history between him and the Brewers? They cuss a LOT.  A lot of people left when MAT hit his home run, which didn't make any sense to me, because it was just A tie game at that point, no blowout,  and the usual excuses of weather, lateness or dependency on public transport don't apply. 

I sat next to a guy wearing a shirt that said "Welcome to America, Now Speak English" and that was almost as awkward as the Ching Chong Chinaman dance the Dude Bro's a few rows ahead of us did when the Brewers' reliever Wang came in.   :-[

Last pic is from one of of the two hotels we've stayed in; this is the hallway/atrium at the Brewhouse Inn and Suites, which is the old Pabst factory converted over. The old brewing equipment is on display. It's pricey by Milwaukee standards but worth a night or two because the rooms are really nice and the staff is stellar. They have a pub attached, and the pub does a shuttle bus back and forth to the games. We took Uber which was about $10 each way.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #6: September 03, 2017, 12:24:56 PM »
Curious: why were you in Milwaukee? Family? Business trip? (Milwaukee always seemed out-of-the-way, like Minneapolis but even more out-of-the-way)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #7: September 03, 2017, 12:28:46 PM »
We should have a dedicated sub-forum for the various Stadium, Park and Arena info...

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #8: September 03, 2017, 12:39:45 PM »
We should have a dedicated sub-forum for the various Stadium, Park and Arena info...

Good idea.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #9: September 03, 2017, 12:54:48 PM »
Curious: why were you in Milwaukee? Family? Business trip? (Milwaukee always seemed out-of-the-way, like Minneapolis but even more out-of-the-way)

Came up for the games. We try to see a couple out-of-town parks each year, usually based on where the Nats play over weekends.  There is not a whole lot going on up here. It's not an awful place but as a tourist you run out of stuff pretty quick. If you're a lactose-intolerant non-drinker, this is not the town for you.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #10: September 03, 2017, 01:13:03 PM »
Came up for the games. We try to see a couple out-of-town parks each year, usually based on where the Nats play over weekends.  There is not a whole lot going on up here. It's not an awful place but as a tourist you run out of stuff pretty quick. If you're a lactose-intolerant non-drinker, this is not the town for you.

Have you been to the Art Museum on the Lake?  Pretty nifty place...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #11: September 03, 2017, 02:02:52 PM »

Milwaukee has some great ethnic celebrations.    Of course, there's Harley Davidson.    :)

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #12: September 03, 2017, 02:07:09 PM »

Going there tomorrow along with the Discovery Center. The only nonstop back to dc is 6pm so we have a whole day to wander.

Milwaukee has some great ethnic celebrations.    Of course, there's Harley Davidson.    :)

There's a huge Harley event going on this weekend but I don't really get into the whole Harley culture (I ride a Triumph or a Moto Guzzi depending on the mood). It's nice to watch the big groups of bikes drive by, though.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #13: September 03, 2017, 02:23:22 PM »

We were at the Irish Fest several years ago.  I remember they had beer.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #14: September 03, 2017, 02:24:02 PM »
Going there tomorrow along with the Discovery Center. The only nonstop back to dc is 6pm so we have a whole day to wander.

There's a huge Harley event going on this weekend but I don't really get into the whole Harley culture (I ride a Triumph or a Moto Guzzi depending on the mood). It's nice to watch the big groups of bikes drive by, though.

My first love was a '69 650 Triumph Bonneville   ....  *sigh*   I ride regularly (HD) and I avoid the "culture" as well.    In fact, I try to avoid other riders on any bike.    However, I enjoy wandering on foot around Rolling Thunder.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #15: September 04, 2017, 09:07:12 PM »

Something similar was mentioned earlier this year and JCA responded that an easier idea was to have a single road trip post that would be set a as a sticky thread. It would contain links to individual threads (such as this) for each away park. A great idea that we should get started.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #16: September 04, 2017, 10:24:06 PM »
We attended the game Saturday evening.  Sat in section 118 (Field Infield Box) Row 19. Two seats for $129.50 on the Brewers web site.  Quite a bargain compared to other cities.  Next section over from Front Row Amy; don't believe she was there.  I keep looking over to see if there were any melons.  There was a strange grey haired lady dancing for much of the game in the next section.  Not sure is she is regular or not.  Most people ignored her.  The dancing was like Elaine in Seinfeld.  But maybe worse.

I echo what Patti said about the scoreboard. When one team is up they show the defensive alignment for the team in the field and the next three batters due up.  They show OPS and other assorted details.  Even plate appearances so you can track when your favorite injured player will start to hit.  ;)

I thought the stadium was really beautiful with all the glass. And I am not a Selig fan so was ready to hate it.  It poured rain sometime before the game so I suspect the start would have been delayed with no roof.  Temperature was 57 at game end so I appreciated the roof.We had no issues with any fans.  For some reason they directed us to the tailgating section of the lot.  No one made fun of us but no one offered a brat either.  The brat we had inside was just so so.  Mlller Lite it was--don't know what the price was as the missus bought it.  The stadium does seem to be in the middle of nowhere.  Getting out was surprisingly easy as traffic was well directed.

There were some hefty people including a lady at the end of our aisle who could barely get up. I found this link when I was looking for stadium tips. Funny stuff.

https://deadspin.com/5322107/why-your-stadium-sucks-miller-park

And the Nats won in a thrilling finish to top it all off.

We were able to visit the Packers Hall of Fame before the game at Lambeau Field.  Enjoyed that.  Unfortunately we would have had to wait too long for the stadium tour.  We had driven down from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

On Sunday morning we walked around the Historic Third Ward area of Milwaukee which seems to be the hipster section.  Nice day and walk and they had an art festival that day.  We also visited the Saint Joseph Basilica which is a beautiful church. Recommend that also if you go to Milwaukee.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17: September 05, 2017, 04:15:10 PM »
Good Write Ups. Next time you go, make a side trip to Madison. It is light years better than Milwaukee. Nicer folks, beautifully situated between two lakes, gorgeous weather this time of year and the Largest Farmer's market in the country. It is in my opinion the nicest place to live in the US (especially in the summer) and I'd move back there in a second if an appropriate job came up.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #18: September 05, 2017, 04:20:09 PM »
Good Write Ups. Next time you go, make a side trip to Madison. It is light years better than Milwaukee. Nicer folks, beautifully situated between two lakes, gorgeous weather this time of year and the Largest Farmer's market in the country. It is in my opinion the nicest place to live in the US (especially in the summer) and I'd move back there in a second if an appropriate job came up.
Thought about that but we just didn't have time. Too cold for me to live there!

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #19: September 05, 2017, 04:23:04 PM »
Thought about that but we just didn't have time. Too cold for me to live there!

Yeah...we considered Green Bay.  Then January happened...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #20: September 05, 2017, 04:28:34 PM »
Yeah...we considered Green Bay.  Then January happened...
It was in the 40s in northern Michigan at night last week.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #21: September 05, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »
It was in the 40s in northern Michigan at night last week.

• babble on
« Reply #22: September 05, 2017, 05:17:42 PM »
Is the Octopus Car Wash still there?  That was the best business signage anywhere.   

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23: September 05, 2017, 05:51:05 PM »
Is the Octopus Car Wash still there?  That was the best business signage anywhere.   

It is!! I love that sign...

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #24: September 21, 2017, 08:55:46 PM »
There is one in OBX as well