Author Topic: Shohei Ohtani  (Read 18124 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Shohei Otani
« Reply #25: September 01, 2017, 02:05:51 PM »
I think it's probably unlikely, but I do not think there is zero chance. But I mean anyone can say anything. It's not like slateman has any money or professional reputation that's on the line.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #26: September 01, 2017, 03:17:59 PM »
It's not like slateman has any money or professional reputation that's on the line.

But...he's never been wrong, so there is that...  ;)

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #27: September 01, 2017, 05:33:19 PM »
Stan Kasten really wanted Yu Darvish.

And now he's got him!

It's weird how these things work. I really don't remember any talk of the the Nats being in, or even scouting in person, but Asia was still lightly scouted. It's different now, but a lot of teams still do not have Asian-only scouts

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #28: September 01, 2017, 05:34:10 PM »
But...he's never been wrong, so there is that...  ;)

He often has above average opinions, which is bad or something, right?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #29: September 01, 2017, 05:41:19 PM »
It always amazes me picking up the Japan Times during a Narita layover and seeing 5 pages of baseball coverage months into the NPB offseason.  The Japanese-language papers seem to be the same way.   

And now he's got him!

It's weird how these things work. I really don't remember any talk of the the Nats being in, or even scouting in person, but Asia was still lightly scouted. It's different now, but a lot of teams still do not have Asian-only scouts

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #30: September 01, 2017, 05:50:26 PM »
Maybe Slateman is actually Mike Rizzo since he is so sure about so many things.

Ah, now you're beginning to see the light. 

Don't argue with Slate unless you're willing to leap into a bottomless snake pit until the end of your life. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #31: September 01, 2017, 07:08:37 PM »
Ah, now you're beginning to see the light. 

Don't argue with Slate unless you're willing to leap into a bottomless snake pit until the end of your life. 
but what about the other snakepit you don't seem to comment about?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #32: September 01, 2017, 07:20:40 PM »
When I see his name, I think motorcycle helmets.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #33: September 01, 2017, 08:13:52 PM »
When I see his name, I think motorcycle helmets.

Like how happy you are to see the riders not wearing 'em?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #34: September 01, 2017, 08:14:59 PM »
Like how happy you are to see the riders not wearing 'em?

VA is required.   Not wearing a helmet is pretty dim.   However (mindfact), I've read that anything over 15 MPH and it doesn't matter.     It's the neck injuries.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #35: September 01, 2017, 08:24:51 PM »
VA is required.   Not wearing a helmet is pretty dim.   However (mindfact), I've read that anything over 15 MPH and it doesn't matter.     It's the neck injuries.

Eh, it's really dependent on the crash. If the driver is ejected, probably. If the driver can lay down the bike, the helmet will save them.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #36: September 01, 2017, 08:29:54 PM »

When I t-boned the blue-hair in the Cadillac on Super Bowl Sunday 2001, I was panic braking from 40MPH.  The witnesses said I "jumped up" off the seat right before impact.  I made a conscience decision to hit him...figuring if I laid it down, I'd either get lodged under the car, or he'd just drive away and I'd be down in the middle of the road looking like a fool...

I didn't wear a helmet all the time in Hawaii.  In retrospect...that wasn't a wise idea.  I would never go without one now...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #37: September 01, 2017, 08:46:13 PM »
Eh, it's really dependent on the crash.

That's true of any vehicle/plane/boat accident.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #38: September 01, 2017, 08:48:24 PM »
When I t-boned the blue-hair in the Cadillac on Super Bowl Sunday 2001, I was panic braking from 40MPH.  The witnesses said I "jumped up" off the seat right before impact.  I made a conscience decision to hit him...figuring if I laid it down, I'd either get lodged under the car, or he'd just drive away and I'd be down in the middle of the road looking like a fool...

I didn't wear a helmet all the time in Hawaii.  In retrospect...that wasn't a wise idea.  I would never go without one now...

I rode without one in SC.    Dumb.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #39: September 01, 2017, 10:34:24 PM »
That's true of any vehicle/plane/boat accident.

When I was in my bass boat days, some of the guys wore motorcycle helmets when on plane.  Some of those boats were going 60.  Guy I was riding with one foggy morning (all I had were ski goggles) hit a goose at top speed, killed the goose and might have killed him had he not been wearing the helmet.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40: September 01, 2017, 10:36:12 PM »
Can someone how this thread elicited thoughts of motorcycle helmets?  I don’t ride..

Offline mitlen

« Reply #41: September 01, 2017, 10:36:52 PM »
Can someone how this thread elicited thoughts of motorcycle helmets?  I don’t ride..

Shoei

It's an old age easily distracted thing.   :old:

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #42: September 02, 2017, 01:31:43 PM »
Shoei

It's an old age easily distracted thing.   :old:

:hysterical:

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #43: September 13, 2017, 11:10:01 AM »
What Slateman is missing is the entire money scenario with Shohei. He's not eligible to sign a Harper type contract for six years... the Nationals can afford him. Shohei is going to make most of his money in endorsements for the next five years anyways. Give Slateman credit though where credit is due. He pushed for Otani back in 2012 on this forum. I went with Slate's advice and grabbed him years ago in a 30-team fantasy baseball league (I'm the Nationals owner in that league). Looks like Slate's advice is going to pay some dividends for me... just hope he's playing for the Nationals while doing it.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #44: September 13, 2017, 11:17:45 AM »
What Slateman is missing is the entire money scenario with Shohei. He's not eligible to sign a Harper type contract for six years... the Nationals can afford him. Shohei is going to make most of his money in endorsements for the next five years anyways. Give Slateman credit though where credit is due. He pushed for Otani back in 2012 on this forum. I went with Slate's advice and grabbed him years ago in a 30-team fantasy baseball league (I'm the Nationals owner in that league). Looks like Slate's advice is going to pay some dividends for me... just hope he's playing for the Nationals while doing it.
So you're saying that Otani will make his decision based on market and competitiveness of the team?

Yea, ZERO CHANCE he comes here. None. While you all are sitting here fapping to Otani playing the OF full time and closing games for us, the Yankees, Dodgers, Angels, and Mariners are laughing at you, and making arrangements to welcome their new stud.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45: September 13, 2017, 11:22:18 AM »
So you're saying that Otani will make his decision based on market and competitiveness of the team?

Yea, ZERO CHANCE he comes here. None. While you all are sitting here fapping to Otani playing the OF full time and closing games for us, the Yankees, Dodgers, Angels, and Mariners are laughing at you, and making arrangements to welcome their new stud.

I doubt any of those teams actually pay attention to what we say on this forum...

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #46: September 13, 2017, 02:39:39 PM »
I personally don't think he'll end up here. He had an interview awhile back where he said he wanted to pitch against Bryce and hit against Kershaw. That removes the Nationals and Dodgers from the picture. The max any team can give him is $10.1M. Multiple teams are limited in what they can pay him due to the CBA. Essentially, the decision is Otani's and money isn't the driving factor. Does that rule out the Nationals... most likely. Never say never though.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #47: September 13, 2017, 03:00:10 PM »
hit a goose at top speed, killed the goose

Good thing you weren't in Canada, you'd be in jail.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #48: September 13, 2017, 03:09:10 PM »
Good thing you weren't in Canada, you'd be in jail.

Baby seals only?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #49: September 13, 2017, 03:14:30 PM »
I'd give us a zero chance in signing him. He can DH in the AL if he wants, and there's enough teams over there that are enticing. New York, Seattle, LA, Boston...