Author Topic: This day in history  (Read 3859 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
This day in history
« Topic Start: August 31, 2017, 11:02:23 AM »
I noticed there are a lot of history geeks on this board. I subscribe to a "this day in history" email from history.com. It might be interesting to talk about historical events, especially ones we can recall. Like did you know that on this day in 1955 this first solar powered car was introduced?

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/william-cobb-demonstrates-first-solar-powered-car

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: This day in history
« Reply #1: August 31, 2017, 01:37:29 PM »
Third Ypres was in full swing 100 years ago.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #2: September 01, 2017, 11:05:00 AM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: September 01, 2017, 06:07:58 PM »
And don't forget General Sherman's rousing success in suppressing the revolt.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #4: September 01, 2017, 06:49:16 PM »
WWII - Germans invade Poland.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #5: September 02, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »
Ford introduces the Falcon, the first ever American small car.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/ford-introduces-the-compact-fuel-efficient-falcon

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #6: September 02, 2017, 09:35:02 AM »

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/ford-introduces-the-compact-fuel-efficient-falcon

:hysterical:          My buddy had an old, yellow Falcon (dubbed Super Car) after we got out of the Army.      If you lifted the floor mats on the passenger side, you could see the road in spots through the rusted out floor board.      Some memories there  .....   "Hold my beer."

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #7: September 02, 2017, 11:41:52 AM »

I got my great-grandmother's '63.5 Falcon to drive through high school.  260 V8, 2 speed automatic and quick enough I was even with a 318 Duster in the 1/4 mi.

But that article had a bad mistake:

On September 2, 1959, at a news conference broadcast to viewers in 21 cities on closed-circuit television, Henry Ford II introduces his company’s newest car–the 90-horsepower, 30 miles-per-gallon Falcon. The Falcon, dubbed “the small car with the big car feel,” was an overnight success. It went on sale that October 8 and by October 9, dealers had snapped up every one of the 97,000 cars in the first production run.

In 1959, each one of Detroit’s Big Three automakers began to sell a smaller, zippier, lower-priced car: Ford had the Falcon, while General Motors had the Corvair and Chevrolet had the Valiant.

The Valiant was a Plymouth.  My grandmother had one like this:

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #8: September 02, 2017, 06:19:23 PM »
:hysterical:          My buddy had an old, yellow Falcon (dubbed Super Car) after we got out of the Army.      If you lifted the floor mats on the passenger side, you could see the road in spots through the rusted out floor board.      Some memories there  .....   "Hold my beer."

Saw an LTD-II the other day, couldn't believe there is still one on the road.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #9: September 03, 2017, 07:42:01 PM »

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #10: September 03, 2017, 08:30:35 PM »
I got my great-grandmother's '63.5 Falcon to drive through high school.  260 V8, 2 speed automatic and quick enough I was even with a 318 Duster in the 1/4 mi.

But that article had a bad mistake:

The Valiant was a Plymouth.  My grandmother had one like this:

(Image removed from quote.)

My parents had a Valiant when I was a young boy.  Only think I really remember about it was the curb feelers. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: September 04, 2017, 10:37:35 AM »
My parents had a Valiant when I was a young boy.  Only think I really remember about it was the curb feelers.

I believe those were add-ons.  The car had a stylish look but it was not a well made automobile.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #12: September 11, 2017, 02:31:33 PM »
9/11. Worst day of my life time.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #13: September 13, 2017, 02:33:33 PM »
Francis Scott Key pens the national anthem in 1814. The last good thing to come out of Baltimore.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #14: September 13, 2017, 02:44:00 PM »
Francis Scott Key pends the national anthem in 1814. The last good thing to come out of Baltimore.

Actually he was a Washington attorney and he got out of balmer as fast as he could.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #15: September 13, 2017, 02:52:31 PM »
Actually he was a Washington attorney and he got out of balmer as fast as he could.

Indeed. Lived in Georgetown and therefore Key Bridge. But you knew that.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #16: September 13, 2017, 02:55:32 PM »
Aside from Babe Ruth, John Waters, Cab Calloway, and Edgar Allan Poe that's probably true. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #17: September 13, 2017, 02:59:21 PM »
Just went to Balmer for easy trim, probably.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #18: September 13, 2017, 03:07:07 PM »
Aside from Babe Ruth, John Waters, Cab Calloway, and Edgar Allan Poe that's probably true.

Edgar Allen Poe never made it out of balmer, he found the opiate epidemic and found it to his liking.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #19: September 13, 2017, 03:32:01 PM »
Edgar Allen Poe never made it out of balmer, he found the opiate epidemic and found it to his liking.

He needed the opium just to deal with BMore, I'm sure.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #20: September 14, 2017, 10:19:36 AM »

I'd have to do some digging but I read an article years ago about how med students were given case files and symptom lists of real patients to practice diagnostics and determine cause of death. There was no indicator of who the patients were. Someone reviewed one of the cases and said 'Oh. Looks like Rabies.'

More practiced actual doctors looked at it and concurred that it was highly likely. The case file belonged to Edgar Allen Poe.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #21: September 14, 2017, 10:29:44 AM »
Lived in Richmond also

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #22: September 14, 2017, 10:36:14 AM »
yesterday was the 55th anniversary of JFK's pledge to land a man on the moon by the end of the decade.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #23: September 14, 2017, 11:19:58 AM »
yesterday was the 55th anniversary of JFK's pledge to land a man on the moon by the end of the decade.

Wish every network had shown Hidden Figures in tribute last night.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24: September 14, 2017, 11:51:38 AM »
I'd have to do some digging but I read an article years ago about how med students were given case files and symptom lists of real patients to practice diagnostics and determine cause of death. There was no indicator of who the patients were. Someone reviewed one of the cases and said 'Oh. Looks like Rabies.'

More practiced actual doctors looked at it and concurred that it was highly likely. The case file belonged to Edgar Allen Poe.
Hopkins Medical school used to (they still might) have a yearly symposium where they looked at an old chart and diagnosed the patient after the fact. The patient usually turned out to be a famous historical figure. Like Abe Lincoln and Marfan's or JFK and Addison's