Author Topic: Expos, Pudge in WAS Ring of Honor  (Read 1699 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Yes, Mickey needs to be there, and Cecil Travis, too. Is Roy Sievers up there?

Offline Mattionals

I really get pissed at this topic because some folks here want nothing to do with the franchise past. You don't have to like it, but deal with it that the franchise you now watch ONLY made it to DC after Loria essentially killed the Expos. I know I'm in the minority of Expos fans that came over, but unless DC got an expansion team AGAIN, you were going to be straddled with everything from that franchise and it's players that came before they played in "your" city. If Montreal gets another team, I'd happily give them back all those traditional Expos records, but in return I also would feel that Texas and Minnesota owe DC the Senators records back.

TL;DR, suck it up you whiners about where THIS franchise came from.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
the franchise you now watch ONLY made it to DC after Loria essentially killed the Expos.

:lmao:

Offline Count Walewski

Yeah, it's the hostility of many of the DC natives to the Expos legacy that really puzzles me. Did they all get food poisoning from bad poutine once?

I have no problem with somebody being more into the Senators or Grays legacy than they are into the Expos legacy. I do have a problem with people trying to make sure their kids never know who Tim Raines was.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Did they all get food poisoning from bad poutine once?

No such thing...

Offline vernon337

Re: Expos, Pudge in WAS Ring of Honor
« Reply #31: August 25, 2017, 08:06:41 PM »
When the first Senators team moved to Minnesota, the fans didn't move.  They stayed here and rooted for the second Washington team.  And when that iteration left, the fans were still here, ready to root for the home team.  Eventually some became sort-of fans of the Orioles, but didn't really have a team again until the Nationals arrived.

As a child, I rooted for Mickey Vernon and Bob Porterfield, Eddie Yost and Spec Shea.  Now I root for Max Scherzer and Bryce Harper, Stephen Strasburg and Anthony Rendon.  When they leave, I will root for their replacements. 

When I think of the heroes of baseball who have made the most wonderful memories for fans in the area, it's not Tim Raines or Gary Carter.  It's Frank Howard and Walter Johnson ... and Ryan Zimmerman (just names off the top of my head). 

For continuity in the record books, I guess it makes sense to consider the Nationals as the continuation of the Expos franchise.  But I doubt there are very many fans going to the Nationals games these days who first became fans of the team when it was north of the border.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #32: August 25, 2017, 08:06:56 PM »
I do have a problem with people trying to make sure their kids never know who Tim Raines was.

:hysterical:  yeah because that is the only way someone can learn who players of the past were.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #33: August 25, 2017, 08:10:05 PM »
Did they all get food poisoning from bad poutine once?

If it were not for the expo history, where would we learn of the legend of Expofan87 and his wife and her therapist and her trainer and ...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #34: August 25, 2017, 08:18:09 PM »

:hysterical:  yeah because that is the only way someone can learn who players of the past were.

That's a terrible attitude, the Nats need to start expanding the ring, how else can our kids learn about Reggie Jackson or Nolan Ryan if we don't put them in the ring?

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #35: August 26, 2017, 09:13:26 AM »
It was rumored once Cal Ripken would be considered to manage the team perhaps he should be in the Ring of  Meaningless tribute<-----which is what the Lerners have made it<---------those kind of comments would earn the ire of FP...I mean catacony on the MLB board

Bo Derek once attended a Nats game lets put her in the Ring of Meaningless Tribute....... ROMT as we say in the business

She and Miss Iowa

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36: August 26, 2017, 09:32:52 AM »
Whatever happened to Miss Iowa?

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #37: August 26, 2017, 09:43:18 AM »
Whatever happened to Miss Iowa?

I thought I heard she married some low life singer...can't think of his name or the pitcher who replaced Strasburg that night and looked like a regular Clayton Kershaw on the mound

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #38: August 26, 2017, 10:47:08 AM »
I would prefer go all in on the Washington history but it isn't going to happen. Is what it is. I've accepted it.

But putting Pudge in the ring of honor feels like a try hard move like a Low A minor league team memorializing an all star who played there for two months before getting promoted.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #39: August 26, 2017, 10:54:01 AM »
I would prefer go all in on the Washington history but it isn't going to happen. Is what it is. I've accepted it.

But putting Pudge in the ring of honor feels like a try hard move like a Low A minor league team memorializing an all star who played there for two months before getting promoted.

...and they dedicated a kids ball field in his honor as well...

Like you say...grasping for something...

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #40: August 26, 2017, 11:17:56 AM »
...and they dedicated a kids ball field in his honor as well...

Like you say...grasping for something...

I have mixed feelings about that. The Nats are having a Hall of Fame player with ties to DC coming to our neighborhood ballpark, really really cool. On the other hand the oldest kids in the league where six when he last played here so I doubt if any of them have any memory of him playing.  The real shame is that Pudge is going to be at the ballpark at 10:30 on the first day of school so there will be almost no kids able to attend. The kids will sure enjoy the upgrades to the field though.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #41: August 26, 2017, 11:28:33 AM »
The fan police are going to drag you off in a burgundy and gold van
Yeah, it's the hostility of many of the DC natives to the Expos legacy that really puzzles me. Did they all get food poisoning from bad poutine once?

I have no problem with somebody being more into the Senators or Grays legacy than they are into the Expos legacy. I do have a problem with people trying to make sure their kids never know who Tim Raines was.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #42: August 26, 2017, 11:40:34 AM »
first person to wear a Nats uniform to make it into the HOF.

Uh....  Frank Robinson?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #43: August 26, 2017, 11:44:11 AM »
Uh....  Frank Robinson?
He went in as a player, not a manager. Pudge's plaque is the first one with the Nats on it.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #44: August 26, 2017, 11:49:34 AM »
He went in as a player, not a manager.

I know, but you did say "person".  Anyway, it struck me that maybe that's the reason Frank is in the Ring.   There isn't any other possible reason.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #45: August 26, 2017, 11:51:20 AM »
Could be. Probably is, actually.

Offline awbb

« Reply #46: August 26, 2017, 03:10:17 PM »
I have no problem with Expo players etc being elected until a time a franchise ends up back in Montreal. At that time, they should be transferred.

As a result, the Nationals should be the place to honour players who played their baseball in DC, in my opinion. This is where the fans that supported them lived and possibly still do and presumably would support the Nats now as they supported the Senators then.

I also don't understand the decision to induct Rodriguez and don't agree with it.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #47: August 26, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »
I really get pissed at this topic because some folks here want nothing to do with the franchise past.
Yeah I get that and that's why I don't complain. Much.  Even though I hate discussion of the freaking Expos.  But that's irrelevant to the topic.  At least the original topic, which was about Rodriguez; apparently someone changed the topic.  I am furious about him in the ring and that has nothing to do with the Expos.  The topic should not have been changed, we should all be allowed to vent about this, specifically: Ivan Roddriguez, who played one season here and stunk, in the ring.    Might as well put Johnny Roseboro in, he contributed as much.  This so called "ring" has become so polluted that I no longer plan to pay any attention to it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48: August 26, 2017, 07:06:12 PM »
Ray - there was Sturt's original thread on "Fed Baseball> reflections...  where the first post posted about Janes's tweet on Raines and Pudge.  There were a lot of posts discussing the Raines / Pudge thing, mostly on the topic of the Expos relationship to the Nats, but then on Pudge's relationship to the franchise.   Then LoveAngelos started a new topic, something like "Washington Ring of BS."  It did not specifically mention Pudge, IIRC.  Since LA's rant looked like the same thing being discussed in Sturt's thread, I broke off that thread at the first post, merged it with Love Angelos's, and then put a title on it. I honestly forgot LA's title, so came up with the title.  IF LA has what he originally said, and it isn't profane, I'll put it up.  Don't feel like you can't vent about Pudge.  That's why both Expos and Pudge are in this title.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #49: August 27, 2017, 08:30:16 AM »
Yeah I get that and that's why I don't complain. Much.  Even though I hate discussion of the freaking Expos.  But that's irrelevant to the topic.  At least the original topic, which was about Rodriguez; apparently someone changed the topic.  I am furious about him in the ring and that has nothing to do with the Expos.  The topic should not have been changed, we should all be allowed to vent about this, specifically: Ivan Roddriguez, who played one season here and stunk, in the ring.    Might as well put Johnny Roseboro in, he contributed as much.  This so called "ring" has become so polluted that I no longer plan to pay any attention to it.

Amen! I exclaim from the back pew
The owners of this team profess to be life long Washington  baseball fans but I doubt they have the slightest clue about your Roseboro reference